Litter scoop

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I spent little extra and got a really nice metal scoop and after destroying the last two (first one never cleaned and the pee ate through the metal, second one was cheap and the handle was all rubber and broke) I figured I would ask, what is the best way to clean them. A guy on YouTube said to clean it in the toilet, never to happy with this idea. And don’t have a garden hose.

Attachments

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use wipes to clean it, just tends to be convenient (but mine aren't black metal so I can see what I need to wipe). I've got a pet-safe disinfectant I spray on it every once in a while and let sit. Sometimes I'll use a specific scrub brush in the sink to clean if that is needed too. I never use the kitchen sink, just personally - but have used the bathroom sink and bath faucets to clean.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I use plastic scoop, wooden label and a metal in my litterbox cleaning routine. Each time after I clean the litter box, be it pee or poo, I'll use a pet safe wet tissue to wipe the top and inner sides of the litter box. I'll also use the pet safe wet tissue to wipe the scoop/s and after that I spray them with 70% Isopropyl Alcohol (away from my boy of course).

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A sponge that has a rough scrubby side. Just be sure to dedicate a sponge for litter scoop cleaning purposes and keep it with the litter scoop or the box of litter. Use regular dish soap and water, soak in a dluted 10% bleach solution if you want.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not put anything that has litter on it in the toilet. Litter can cause your pipes to back up and require a plumber to snake it out. Can also mess with the balance in a septic tank.

I just wipe it down with a paper towel and toss it in the green bin with the dirty litter.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I have raw fed cats with firm stools, so my scoops get cleaned in the bath once a week when I wash the boxes and litter (I use a litter system with washable pellets, to clarify), unless someone's having a tummy upset. I have to wash the bath after litterbox washing, anyway, so what's a little more grossness!