Litter Recommendations

cryptic

Mama to Jinx and Java
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, looking for good litter recommendations for my two girls that aren't too bad for respiratory and such. I did use Exquisicat Pine pellets for awhile, which although they liked, I noticed they walked on it tenderly and it didn't at all mask odors. It also fell apart super quickly and became mushy grit. Now I'm just using an industrial size tub of Purina Tidy Cats (I honestly despise Purina but my budget was strapped and the girls needed more litter) and while it contains odors fairly well, I don't like the brand - it's also super dusty.
Budget/price is of no issue - I have two litterboxes so ideally a brand that sells bigger quantities would be great.
Thanks in advance.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I like Petcos self brand clumping litter. Comes in big bucket. You can bring empty container back amd and fill with new litter.

Right now I use light clumping weight litter in the bright green jug. Unscented. $8 a jug. Its not fresh step..it is usually next to Arm and Hammer brand. That one has a new formula That's not supposed to stick to litter box...haven't tried it yet.

Cat attract is another one I have used. Red bag. I cant remember what the brand is...

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Blue Buffalo walnut litter is really amazing. A bit pricey but it lasts!
I tried a small bag first because I wasn't sure about spending so much money on litter and it was amazing. I would still be using it if one of my cats didn't have a rare allergy.
I use a litter called Cedarific now. It works really well and is inexpensive. Drawback, hard to find. A grocery chain local to me is the only place I can find it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy the 40 pound boxes of clumping litter that are around $10 each:
Berkley & Jensen- BJ's
Special Kitty- Walmart
Paws & Claws- Tractor Supply
Sometimes I get the 42 pound Scoop Away or Arm & Hammer when BJ's sends me a $3 off coupon. I have ordered PetSmart Grreat Choice 42 pound boxes online when they have a sale. They all are a bit dusty though.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I liked Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat and Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal the best but they were both a bit on the high end of our budget. I've been searching for something cheaper. I didn't think the Tractor Supply brand (Paws & Claws) controlled odor very well. Right now I am trying out Tidy Cats Instant Action.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a similar issue with one of my cats - he was always sneezing and coughing after using the litter box. I switched to Feline Pine in a Tidy Cat Breeze box (to sift out the sawdust) and that completely solved the problem.

Other things you might try: the Tidy Cat Breeze pellet & tray liner system, Yesterday's News, or Dr. Elsey's respiratory relief (super expensive clay) litter. I haven't tried that, but I found that all clay litters can be dusty sometimes. A friend of mine lines her litter box with newspaper and sprinkles on a very small amount of Arm and Hammer clumping litter, and changes it every day. She has one small cat though.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ This is what I have learned regarding litter : The more it costs the worse it works. I like Arm & Hammer . TidyCats is also OK. Cost is about the same. Both come in 20 & 40 lbs .

authorbg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Arm and hammer multicat clumping litter is what we used. I bough freshstep and purina a few times on sale and have regretted it. Our house never smells, and I scoop once a week. Worth the little extra!!!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
You should really scoop daily. Cats don't like a dirty toilet just like we don't. Otherwise they may start eliminating in places that are cleaner. I scoop every morning and evening if I remember or it's messy looking. I have 2 cats. If I don't scoop daily they would be mad at me...

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ditto on the Petco "Sophresh" in bulk. Both of mine like it, and it seems to be excellent at odor control. It is a clumping litter, so don't use it if you have little kittens.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I find Fresh Step Odor Shield clumping litter with Febreze really does the trick. I can buy it at Kroger in 14 lb box. Any heavier is too much for this "senior" to handle!

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like Petcos self brand clumping litter. Comes in big bucket. You can bring empty container back amd and fill with new litter.

Right now I use light clumping weight litter in the bright green jug. Unscented. $8 a jug. Its not fresh step..it is usually next to Arm and Hammer brand. That one has a new formula That's not supposed to stick to litter box...haven't tried it yet.

Cat attract is another one I have used. Red bag. I cant remember what the brand is...

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have used Arm & Hammer Slide. Waste does not stick but I found it does not control odor as well as their Double Duty.

Percysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We’ve tried loads of different litters and non-clumping crystal cat litter is the best we’ve found by a MILE. We use Tigerino brand from Zooplus and don’t have a bad word to say about it. Zero odour. It lasts for ages. Very light to transport. And Percy took to it instantly too.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I also use petco brand. Easy to scoop out. I just got pet fusion non stick litter box. It is made different. I can tell it's true it's name. So excited to use it tonight

Christa1212001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fresh step all the way. I've been using it for years and seriously nothing compares to it's clumping power and odor containment. I've got every cat owner I know using it now and swearing by it. Perk - you can collect paws points from the boxes and use their handy app to get cool stuff for your kitties.

Hi all, looking for good litter recommendations for my two girls that aren't too bad for respiratory and such. I did use Exquisicat Pine pellets for awhile, which although they liked, I noticed they walked on it tenderly and it didn't at all mask odors. It also fell apart super quickly and became mushy grit. Now I'm just using an industrial size tub of Purina Tidy Cats (I honestly despise Purina but my budget was strapped and the girls needed more litter) and while it contains odors fairly well, I don't like the brand - it's also super dusty.
Budget/price is of no issue - I have two litterboxes so ideally a brand that sells bigger quantities would be great.
Thanks in advance.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like Dr. Elsey Respiratory Relief. Since you only have 2 cats, it wouldn't be that costly. C****.com has the best price. Sometimes I alternate with Dr. E "Touch of Outdoors", which has hardly any dust.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got another ragdoll kitten from a breeder and he told me not to use the clumping litter, only natural corn base, for the clumping litter causes cat eye infections. Has anyone heard of this before?