Litter issues

SK95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I hope you are all keeping well.

I previously had posted on here when I was having issues with my Russian blue cat not using the litter tray consistently.

Kitten Litter Problems

I’ve literally tried everything but nothing seems to work.

Following on from the last thread I took her to the vets who said she was most likely suffering from stress as all her test results came back normal.

From then on I took everybody’s advice and tried different litters and also got some new trays all open trays. I found she eventually preferred the wooden pellets which both cats now use. I clean the litter tray everytime it gets used.

I find that she goes sometimes weeks where she will consistently use the tray and then randomly I will find a spot where she has decided to wee such as a rug/carpet/bag etc. Sometimes it’s a mixture she will use both the tray and other places.

I play with her everyday. Both cats get on well. Only sometimes if she annoys the older cat, the older one will hiss. The trays are out in quiet places and she is never ambushed by the other cat. As usually if they are both playing and she decides to use the litter tray the older cat will just walk away from her.

She also was neutered in April last year which didn’t really make a difference. I would say since she has got older the urinating outside of the box has reduced. However it just seems as though she has really good months and then all of a sudden starts weeing outside the box again here and there.

I’ve literally had enough she’s ended up ruining so many things as cat urine is the worst thing to clean I always use an enzyme cleaner. It’s got to the point I’ve tried everything. I constantly feel I have to watch her all the time. I’m always on edge, especially when leaving the house. I’m always worried I will come back to her having weed somewhere.

I constantly spend time with her and when I leave the house she’s never alone there is always someone at home.

I love her so much getting rid of her Is not an option but I can’t carry on like this it’s so stressful. I’ve tried everything.

I did contact the breeder that I bought her from. She recommend for me to crate her for 2 weeks with her tray food bed etc and not let her and only when to clean the trays. Is this something that could work if I buy a large dog cage?

I was also looking into a cat behaviourist but they are so expensive especially here in the uk you have to go through your vet to be referred. And I feel I’ve literally tried everything can they even help? If they can’t it will just be a waste of money.

Really sorry for the long post just feel so fed up literally tried everything nothing works. I can’t ever not trust her. Especially when I want to stay at friends or family houses I can’t take her as I know she will ruin their house by weeing in places.

I hope someone can help

Thanks 😊

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SK95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I’ve tried feliway and also had her on UTI food in case her being stress was causing her to have a UTI here and there which was recommended by the vet. Again it didn’t help I eventually put her back on to her normal food As she preferred her normal food. Also still give her UTI treats with cranberries just in case still not making a difference.

SK95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use the cat urine cleaner from Wilko. I’ve also used the dr beckmann carpet cleaner previously on the carpets and an enzyme cleaner from Pets at home. Put I tend to prefer the one from Wilko and use that one instead. Also I’ve noticed she tends to find a different place it’s not usually the same place everytime

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I use the cat urine cleaner from Wilko. I’ve also used the dr beckmann carpet cleaner previously on the carpets and an enzyme cleaner from Pets at home. Put I tend to prefer the one from Wilko and use that one instead. Also I’ve noticed she tends to find a different place it’s not usually the same place everytime
Does she jump okay?

I remember reading about a cat that had issues with her back legs, so part of why she wasn't going in the litter box was because she couldn't climb in the box. Just a thought that came to my mind!

Have you tried to move the litter box at all? Wondering if there is something associated with the area it's at that is making her uncomfortable?

SK95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use the cat urine cleaner from Wilko. I’ve also used the
Does she jump okay?

I remember reading about a cat that had issues with her back legs, so part of why she wasn't going in the litter box was because she couldn't climb in the box. Just a thought that came to my mind!

Have you tried to move the litter box at all? Wondering if there is something associated with the area it's at that is making her uncomfortable?
Yes she can jump absolutely fine. She can actually jump really high she’s very active. Also I have moved the trays especially into places where she used to wee.

The problem is she actually does use the trays but at times just doesn’t want to for some reason. Even though I have four trays it’s only mainly two of the trays that get used.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure it's available in the UK, but there is a product called Dr. Elsey's CatAttract that really helped my in laws' older cat when she began having litterbox issues. It may be worth a try!

SK95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure it's available in the UK, but there is a product called Dr. Elsey's CatAttract that really helped my in laws' older cat when she began having litterbox issues. It may be worth a try!
Thank you for the suggestion unfortunately it is not available in the UK. I feel as though it might not help as she uses the tray but at times doesn’t and I can’t really work out what the reason for that is.

SK95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The problem is I can’t guess where she is going to use the toilet next. She never really goes just outside the litter box. However I will try to see if it does make a difference and use a puppy pad.

The places she does seem to use are bags/plastic/laundry/carpets/rugs etc. She also use to pee in shoes but now she’s stopped that for some reason.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi SK95 SK95 . I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I know first hand how frustrating it can be.

I had this issue with my last girl, Asha. The vets were unable to find an obvious cause. I was at my wits end, then Anne Anne suggested it might be Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC). This can be really hard to diagnose, as sometimes the only sign is letterbox avoidance.

I started Asha on Veterinary Protexin Cystophan (from Amazon UK). It made a big difference, and so long as she was on it we had no incidents. If I missed a few days the peeing issue was back. My vet later suggested Feliway Cystease, but felt the Cystophan was also a good choice (the ingredients of the two are fairly similar).

The other thing that really helped was Zylkene, which I used at stressful times (bringing new cats in, vet visits etc). I would definitely only introduce one thing at a time though, so as not to confuse matters.

Obviously, its important to run any supplements past your vet first, but one of these supplements might be worth a try.

This article might help too:-
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know

SK95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi SK95 SK95 . I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I know first hand how frustrating it can be.

I had this issue with my last girl, Asha. The vets were unable to find an obvious cause. I was at my wits end, then Anne Anne suggested it might be Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC). This can be really hard to diagnose, as sometimes the only sign is letterbox avoidance.

I started Asha on Veterinary Protexin Cystophan (from Amazon UK). It made a big difference, and so long as she was on it we had no incidents. If I missed a few days the peeing issue was back. My vet later suggested Feliway Cystease, but felt the Cystophan was also a good choice (the ingredients of the two are fairly similar).

The other thing that really helped was Zylkene, which I used at stressful times (bringing new cats in, vet visits etc). I would definitely only introduce one thing at a time though, so as not to confuse matters.

Obviously, its important to run any supplements past your vet first, but one of these supplements might be worth a try.

This article might help too:-
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
Thank you for the suggestion.

I have used Cystophan in the past which my vet did suggest along with the UTI food. However there were still a few incidents here and there it definitely did reduce but was still there. I may try it again as it may work better especially since I’ve changed her back to her usual food. I will also definitely look into Zylkene.

I hope I will find something to help.
Sometimes it’s so hard with her as I think things are working and then out of the blue I find a spot or something she has peed on.

I don’t understand how she can go so many weeks using the tray fine and then randomly it’s like something triggers her not to use it.

Then usually I have to keep an eye on her and get her to start using the tray again by giving her treats after she uses it etc. Then again it lasts a few weeks and after a accident its like I have to retrain her as she starts doing a mixture of the tray and other places.

I’m definitely going to look into the supplements thanks again for the suggestion.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its times like this we wish they could speak human. Its always so hard trying to work out triggers for this sort of thing.

Have you tried increasing her fluids or encouraging her to drink more? Hydration is key with bladder issues, as the more dilute the urine is, the less likely it is to cause a problem. I used to add a little extra water to Asha's wet food, and would sometimes make her chicken-water to drink as a treat (the cooled cooking liquid from poaching unseasoned chicken). A water fountain can encourage drinking too.

I hope you're able to work through this with your girl. I really feel for you.

SK95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its times like this we wish they could speak human. Its always so hard trying to work out triggers for this sort of thing.

Have you tried increasing her fluids or encouraging her to drink more? Hydration is key with bladder issues, as the more dilute the urine is, the less likely it is to cause a problem. I used to add a little extra water to Asha's wet food, and would sometimes make her chicken-water to drink as a treat (the cooled cooking liquid from poaching unseasoned chicken). A water fountain can encourage drinking too.

I hope you're able to work through this with your girl. I really feel for you.
I’ve actually ordered her a water fountain as she seems to only really drink when I open my water tap. I definitely need to get her to drink more.

I’ve also increased the wet food I give her which I mix with biscuits.

I completely agree it would be so much easier if they could speak human.

I really appreciate the help. Especially since the Vets don’t really give much advice.