Litter Box Woes With Two Foster Cats

FionaFosterMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! New to the forums, thanks in advance for the help.

I've been fostering two cats since December - both female, littermates, approximately 8 years old, had been with a woman since kitten-hood until she passed away. I didn't really expect to still have them 6 months later, but they haven't had any adoption interest, and truth be told I've fallen in love them with a bit, so I'm considering just adopting them myself.

Except for one problem (and it's really the only problem that's keeping me from adopting them!): elimination outside of the litterbox.

I live in a small, one bedroom apartment. Here's the history of the litterbox woes:
-I started with an "open top" box in the bathroom, which has just enough room for a litter box between the bathtub and the door, since that it was the foster agency gave me.
-I then moved on to a extra large closed top box (there is a swinging door, which I removed so it's just an open hole to move in and out). I much preferred the closed top, since it was less smelly, more private, and seemed more hygienic.
-This worked fine for a bit, until one of them (or both, maybe - impossible to know since I never caught them in the act) began urinating and defecating on the bathmat - happened maybe once, then a week later, then a couple days later.
-I then moved the litter box to the kitchen, which I really didn't want to do but I thought maybe it was less tempting to be away from the bathmat.
-This worked for a while, but I really hated having the litter box in the kitchen (seemed unhygenic, didn't look great when I had friends over - my kitchen/living room are basically one medium sized open room). So, I tried moving the litterbox into the closet (slowly, a little bit day by day over the course of maybe 4 days!) and kept the doors open. The cats refused to go into the closet and began eliminated on the bathmat again eliminated on the bathmat again (the doors in my apartment can all be pushed open pretty easily, so there's no real way to keep the cats from access to the bathroom)!
-So I moved it back to the kitchen, same spot. That worked for a while (at least a month), until... eliminated on the bathmat again!
-I then got rid of the bathmat, which worked for a while, until... eliminated on the doormat next to my front door!
-I then read about the "+1" rule for litterboxes (the foster agency never told me!). I bought a second litter box (really don't have room for two, much less three, but I figured I could try). Wound up with an open top box in the bathroom, and the closed top one in the kitchen. The cats began using only the one in the bathroom, and never using the one in the kitchen (which was fine!). This worked for probably a full month, until tonight.
-One of them peed on the bathmat (which was a new, replacement bathmat from the previous ones - I normally put it over the curtain rod after showering, but forgot) when I was out of town for the night. The litterbox had been cleaned when I left yesterday morning, so at most it had not been cleaned for 36 hours - I usually try to clean it daily, but I do weekend travel somewhat frequently and don't have anybody I can ask to come by to clean it for me on the days I am gone.

Any advice? My apartment really does not have room for a third litter box - I really don't even know where I'd put it. To be quite frank, I really do not want to have the litter box in the kitchen either - it seems unhygienic to me. I've been using the same litter the whole time - Tidy Cats unscented - and am willing to try something else, but don't know what to try. Since the cats go for a month or so without problems in between bouts of litterbox problems, it also doesn't seem like a litter-type problem.

My apartment just might not be the right set up for two cats, but these cats really have nowhere else to go (yet). I can't move to a bigger apartment with a big enough bathroom to put multiple boxes in, so short of that... any advice? Any idea why they might be doing fine for weeks/months at a time, then do not so well?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
This worked for probably a full month, until tonight.
-One of them peed on the bathmat (which was a new, replacement bathmat from the previous ones - I normally put it over the curtain rod after showering, but forgot)
Hi! Welcome!
Have they ever gone anywhere else besides the bathmat and the doormat? Are the bathmat and the doormat backed with rubber? Seems I read somewhere that can be a problem due to the odor from the backing, or something. I'd eliminate those or just be sure you hang it up.

In any case, I don't know where you're located but depending on whether you don't care a lot about clumping, you could try littermaids walnut litter or dr elsey's respiratory relief crystals. Put some in one of the boxes, see what they think.

I wonder if something's going on outside your apartment, for instance somebody's visiting someone and bringing smells of another pet (or the actual pet), who knows.

You could try a calming product - feliway, sentry and thunderease have diffusers.

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

saladflambe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd get rid of all mats for a while and switch to Cat Attract litter.

Also, a vet visit is in order to rule out a UTI. Are they declawed? Because that can also be a leading cause of litter box troubles - especially as they grow older. Paws get more painful & they can develop arthritis from having "adjusted" how they walk on those painful paws all those years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FionaFosterMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The mats don't have rubber backing (got rid of those after the first incidents of peeing on them!), but I now hang up every mat . . . except for the ones for catching litter.

Which brings me to the new problem. We were good for about a week. Then, this morning, Cat 2 peed on the litter mat. I have three mats to catch tracked litter - one under the bathroom litter box, a big one in the entry way to my apartment (the bathroom is immediately on your left, a closet on the right, when you walk in the door, and there is maybe a 5 foot long hallway before it opens up into the kitchen/living room), and one under the litter box in the kitchen.

When I was in the bathroom this morning, Cat 1 used the litter box, immediately after I cleaned it. Cat 1 often does not bury her feces in the box, but rather does her business and jumps back out. Cat 2 then left the bathroom. I could hear Cat 2 meowing in the hallway. The bathroom door was open, and I called her in. Next thing I know, I hear her peeing in the hallway. I look outside, and she's peed on the litter mat (it's this one: )

The kitchen litter box was available the entire time.

Should I remove the mats used for tracking litter? If so... what do I do about tracked litter?! I currently use Purina Tidy Cats clumping litter, and my cats track it everywhere.... any suggestions???

My new theory is that Cat 2 does not like to use the litter box after Cat 1 uses it (maybe because she doesn't bury?), and that both cats greatly prefer using the litter box in the bathroom. There is absolutely no room for a second litter box in the bathroom (it's a very, very small bathroom), the second box has to be elsewhere. Any advice?

No UTIs by the way. I haven't tried switching litter yet, but maybe I will next. Neither cat is declawed (both have claws).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I think your new theory could be right. (It's almost too bad there isn't a bi level litter box for this kind if situation, I wonder if that'd even work if it was sturdy enough...?)

Anyway, I don't know for tracking but there's Dr elseys respiratory relief crystals, also arm n hammer clumping, littermaid's walnut, paws n claws litter.

I like A&H for the clumping but not its dust and sometimes it'll get sticky so I'm combining it with the walnut litter. There's no stickiness, very little dust and not much tracking.
I keep a broom and dustpan right there because he gets very vigorous in his covering and litter gets thrown out of the pans, or you could get a little vacuum?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Thanks for fostering these 2 sisters, and considering keeping them. Hopefully you can solve the litter box issue.

It does sound like cat 2 doesn't want to use the litter box after cat 1 uses it. I wonder what would have happened it you'd run and picked up cat 2 when you heard her meowing, and put her in the kitchen litter box.

FionaFosterMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually did run and pick up Cat 2 and put her in the box - she totally panicked and jumped right back out and hid under my bed until I left for work. I think she was done peeing by the time I got to her anyways though.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
If I understand correctly, the second litter box in the kitchen is a covered one, and the cats prefer the uncovered one in the bathroom? If so, the first thing I'd do is to remove the cover from the kitchen litter box, giving the cats two options since they don't like to share. If they're peeing on the litter mats, too, those should go. A dustpan and brush or handheld vacuum like Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested would help to keep things tidy. You might also need to scoop the boxes at least twice a day.

FionaFosterMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, the litter box in the kitchen was covered! Now both (one in bathroom and one in litterbox) are uncovered. All mats, including the litter mats, are gone. Litter is changed 1-2x daily (every evening; morning is iffy since I'm so scatterbrained and rush-y in the morning!). And, we haven't had any problems in like 10 days, which is good - although the pattern tends to be no "accidents" for several weeks, then a few accidents until I make a change, that change works for several weeks, then accidents start again, I make another change, that works for several weeks. etc etc. But for now, it seems to be working!

Still a big issue with tracking litter. It isn't the litter spilled around the box that I'm worried about - frequent sweeping fixes that problem. But without the litter mat, the kitties wind up tracking litter EVERYWHERE in my house - I find it in my bed, which is like the opposite end of the apartment from the litterboxes. (I think the mats work to remove trapped litter from the cats' paws?)

So to that point, I appreciate the suggestions for litters that may track less that were given. I haven't tried them yet, because, on the other hand, I'm worried about changing litter and having that cause problems. Thoughts?

(I don't wind to buy an automatic litter box without knowing whether it would work for them - money is tight. But I appreciate the suggestion!)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad things are going ok now. Fingers crossed nothing changes. :crossfingers: If it does, try to make note of anything that might have triggered it. But hopefully that won't be necessary.

As for litter, I'm not sure if you can completely get away from it tracking. But I've never had it in my bed! In fact, it doesn't track that far.

A friend of mine used Tidy Cats litter for a brief time and hated it, because it tracked everywhere. She switched to Arm & Hammer, which I'm also using now, and we're both pleased with it.

If you switch litters, do it slowly, per the article Furballsmom Furballsmom posted.

Here's a few more articles that may be helpful:
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
Litter Box Location Secrets
The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make
16 Experts Reveal The Most Common Litterbox Mistakes (and How To Avoid Them)
How To Choose The Right Cat Litter