Litter Box (so Many Choices!)

kttn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the litter robot is life changing. got ours in february and haven't had to scoop since. it was hard pulling the trigger on buying it, as it is a huge investment, but my god i wish i had done it years ago. also we're saving a ton on litter...in 4 months i think we've spent $20 total (when i used to spend $20 a month).

thecatzmeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to second that regarding the Litter Robot. I bought mine on Hammacher Schlemmer - The Unexpected Gifts - Hammacher Schlemmer where the lifetime warranty is included (unlike the Litter Robot website and Amazon).
It's super pricey and an investment, but I feel worth it after three decades of scooping, a very busy work schedule, multiple cats and bad back. I also switched to an all natural clumping litter which is better for you, the cats, and the environment. The clay litters were making me sick, and who knows the long term effects it's had on my cats.
Blue Buffalo Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Multi-Cat Quick-Clumping Cat Litter

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only have the one litter box which I scoop every two days. It is placed against the wall in a quiet space between two bedrooms. Cucumella uses it for both of her needs and hardly spills any litter outside the box.
P5030262.JPG

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorrry maggiedemi, I received the litterbox some 5 and a half years ago together with Cucumella. I have no idea what the brand is. I examined it in the hope to find a label attached to the bottom side but there wasn't any.

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish my cat would use the Breeze system. She just ignored it completely, no matter that I followed all the directions and hints, or how long I left it next to the original box. Anybody want a Breeze system, not used at all? :D

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you maryah. I wouldn't be able to find that system here and any way with a tidy cat like Cucumella life is easy enough concerning the litter box and its litter. But I like to know what people are "talking" about. Thanks again.

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention what I am using! Dr. Elsey's clumping unscented litter (blue bag/box) with this litter box, which cuts down a great deal on the scattered litter with my relatively dainty young female cat. She's never had a litterbox mistake or mishap, so I guess I'll stick with what works.

Well, for some reason the URL won't save... Funny the Breeze one worked...

Anyway, it's the Iris Open-Topped Litterbox, from Amazon.

Attachments

Last edited:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read someplace that an open top is better. It makes sense that the cat would feel more comfortable with more ventilation. I use a big plastic container that I cut an opening in the front. Since I have four cats I needed a bigger litter box. I usually use "Worlds best cat litter". It's kind of expensive. Some of the other brands made one of my cats sneeze.

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I usually use "Worlds best cat litter". It's kind of expensive. Some of the other brands made one of my cats sneeze.
That's why I use Dr. Elsey's too... scent-free and almost completely dust-free. Haven't tried World's Best, I've read it's very good too.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Dr. Elsey's too. I was getting a bit tired of how heavy the bags were, so I tried out the SmartCat grass litter. It clumps really well, but my cat preferred the box with Dr. Elsey's in it. She only used the SmartCat once during the week I had it out for her when her normal box was a little dirtier than usual. Can't comment much on odor control since she only peed in it.

The big downside of the SmartCat litter is that it tracks a lot - the grains are lightweight and tend to fly everywhere with static. While my cat didn't use the litter much, she certainly liked to dig in it and kick it around.

So we're back to reliable old Dr. Elsey's.

Edited to add: my kitten kept trying to eat the SmartCat litter, but never tried with Dr. Elsey's

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cucumella goes to her litterbox when she needs to go and leaves immediately after. She never plays with the litter or scatter it around. She is a very gentle cat whatever she does.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Also Dr Elsey's. Decided it's the best and my cats like it. Dust free. I bought a scoop online that digs very deep so it's perfect. I'll have to look up the name

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hate scooping, so I've been using the omega paw rolling box for about a year. It works beautifully as long as you keep the litter deep enough, use a good clumping litter, and roll slowly. Plus, my cat likes to dig to China, and the enclosed box keeps all the litter contained. About the only downside is that the clips keeping the top on are weak, so I duct tape the seam to make sure there's a good seal. Just make sure to get the large size. Regular size is only good for kittens.
This is what I got. I haven't asked if my girl likes it but she's using it so I assume she does ;) I got the regular one and my girl is 3.7kg/8lbs. May need a bigger one when she's grown up or wide :p
And, it's truly fun for me. I always pick it up and roll it at eye level to make sure nothing left behind :)

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish my cat would use the Breeze system. She just ignored it completely, no matter that I followed all the directions and hints, or how long I left it next to the original box. Anybody want a Breeze system, not used at all? :D
if you were local I'd swapyou one of my big bags of catfood of one of the brands that didn't pan out for Freya...

One last thing to try are paper pellets. They're softer than the breeze brand ( or pine or walnut options, for that matter), so your cats may adapt to them better.

Also, to save money on the box, I switched to generic pads and use the Blue Buffalo Walnut pellets.