Litter Box Recommendations

ryan downs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone had any litter boxes?

I have a pretty large (~15 lbs.) 8-year-old cat. He's not a fat cat (minus his "tummy pouch"), he's fairly long though.

I'm disabled with a severe respiratory disease, so I've always been on the lookout for a litter box that isn't too annoying to handle changing out the litter very often.

I used to have one of those covered litter boxes that you just roll over and back and it captures all the litter clumps in a little tray for you to discard, but that just became too much of a hassle to do a full litter change. Then I thought the Luup litter box would be a great way to go because it's just a sifting tray and I could just dump out the litter into the trash for a full clean, but as many of us have come to realize, the Luup litter box sucks with most brands of litter and the litter sticks in every single nook and cranny, so you're pretty much left having to hand clean all three trays (including inside every single sifting grate) every time you change the litter. I've considered the automatic models, but those are just so costly with the initial machine and then all the special "crystals" and "trays" you have to buy for it.

I finally relegated to the fact that a standard litter box would be best, but I just can't seem to find an X-Large box that isn't ugly as sin. I'd prefer one that has an easy-to-remove rim (like the Luup has). I just bought one from PetCo online, but I'm coming to realize that the rim locks on pretty securely and when it comes time to dump all the old litter out, it's going to get caught underneath it. Every other option I tend to see looks like I just threw a Rubbermaid container down on the floor and called it a day (I know beggars can't be choosers, but I don't want it to look tacky either).

Any recommendations?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a puppy pad at the bottom of my extra large litterbox. It works fine for scooping, but I use a sifter instead because that is less effort for me and it's faster. I sift the litter into a second box, reposition or change the puppy pad and dump the litter back into the lined box. My cat isn't fussy about her box so I sift it a couple times a week and change the liner once a week. The box itself never needs cleaning and I am done with the whole thing in a minute.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have one with a removable rim; just a larger box from Walmart with deeper sides because one of my cats pees on the edge. I keep the lower side to the wall because even that got peed over a few times. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cat-Litter-Pan/14935915#about-item

For whole box changes I just wait till the litter gets a bit low and then I dump it in a big trash bag. It's still heavy to carry like that so next time i'm going to put the bag in a box. I have 2 large boxes. If I keep the litter deep enough (around 3") I do not have to do whole box changes very often. It's much easier to scoop also.

irenechennia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have one with a removable rim; just a larger box from Walmart with deeper sides because one of my cats pees on the edge. I keep the lower side to the wall because even that got peed over a few times. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cat-Litter-Pan/14935915#about-item

For whole box changes I just wait till the litter gets a bit low and then I dump it in a big trash bag. It's still heavy to carry like that so next time i'm going to put the bag in a box. I have 2 large boxes. If I keep the litter deep enough (around 3") I do not have to do whole box changes very often. It's much easier to scoop also.
Cat Won't Look In Litter Box Anymore has some good reviews too.