Litter box issues

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted a month back about our kitten (10m apps) pooping outside the box. I did ALMOST all suggestions. I changed litter, placement, got a few new boxes. Upped my cleaning schedule. Instead of every few weeks dumping and deep cleaning the boxes its every Friday. Each litter box takes almost 1 box. At $20+ a box it is costing me a fortune(5 litter boxes)

My kitten also has FIP , is on GS meds and almost done , I am pretty sure she is cured. She has 2 weeks left of treatment.

The only suggestion we haven't really tried was putting her in a small room with her box. I tried in my bedroom and she pooped on the bed so my only option is the bathroom. Is this cruel? I was thinking of putting her and her box in there when I go to work. I just feel awful leaving her in the bathroom.

I don't know if its the meds making her do this . I also tried litter attractant, if I put her in the box once a hour she will go poo. If I see her starting to poo i will pick her up and put her in the box.
Some things I have noticed :
1. If she is out of the box she just keeps walking while pooing. She never stops to go.
2. No specific area she goes. I clean with natures miracle .
3. She almost acts like she doesn't know she is going
4. She WILL pee in the litter box. She has 2 boes she prefers for that.

We do have one other kitten that is 2 months older. Rosie is a bit pushy and rude she will sometimes jump on twink when she is in there.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a kitten with a similar issue.
She would poop nearly everywhere, it seemed to me she would just lose her poops while she was walking. Sometimes she could use the litter box, most of the times it was all over the house.
Every morning I would get up from bed and find a real mess all over, and had to clean the floor in all rooms. To add mess to mess, her poops were a bit runny.

The vet held the kitten for three or four days at the practice and nothing happened, the kitten would only use the litter box and her poops were firm.
I took the kitten back home and she started pooping runny all over.

So, in my case, the solution was to rehome her, and it worked. It was a case of unhappiness with my home.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you a member of any of the FIP support groups? If so, you might ask if this is something others have experienced or seen with GS meds. Maybe someone will have some recommendations on how to treat it, if it does turn out to be happening to others.

I hate seeing a cat confined to a bathroom, but that might be your only option. What would happen if you covered your bed with a plastic tarp or shower curtain as an alternative? Some cats don't like to get on plastic, but even if she did, the plastic would protect the bedding.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe the other kitten ambushing her in the litter tray, is making her too scared to use the tray all the time, in case she gets jumped and ambushed in there?

I think we humans would be the same tbh, if we sometimes got jumped on by someone else when we was on the toilet, we'd not really want to use the toilet just in case we got jumped
that's how i'm understanding the situation anyways

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you a member of any of the FIP support groups? If so, you might ask if this is something others have experienced or seen with GS meds. Maybe someone will have some recommendations on how to treat it, if it does turn out to be happening to others.

I hate seeing a cat confined to a bathroom, but that might be your only option. What would happen if you covered your bed with a plastic tarp or shower curtain as an alternative? Some cats don't like to get on plastic, but even if she did, the plastic would protect the bedding.
I am, I did talk to my admin and she said it sounded like normal cat behavior not related to the meds. When she has her next appt with the vet I am going to see if it could be related to when she lost use of her back legs, maybe she lost some sensation back there . She does walk and jump normal now.
I agree I hate the idea of being in the bathroom all day too. I was going to see if I can get some flat large waterproof pads to cover the bed.

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe the other kitten ambushing her in the litter tray, is making her too scared to use the tray all the time, in case she gets jumped and ambushed in there?

I think we humans would be the same tbh, if we sometimes got jumped on by someone else when we was on the toilet, we'd not really want to use the toilet just in case we got jumped
that's how i'm understanding the situation anyways
I agree too, I don't know how to stop it when no one is here other than keeping them separated during the day. Twink is getting stronger everyday , I do see her standing up for herself against the bossy Rosie.

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted a while back about our younger cat not pooping in the box. We have a system now. I basically can tell when she has to go and I put her in the box, and she poops on command. Should I stop doing this? I have tried all other suggestions
Since starting this I have notice, when Twinkie is in the box Rosie jumps or comes over to immediately cover her messes. Twinkie will cover her pee but not poo.
I wonder if Twinkie is not using the box on her own for #2 because if Rosie? Is there a way to stop this?