Litter box issues plus some

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Long story I know but I am at my wits end with worry.

My poor cat. A few weeks ago my cat age 6, fixed, started to not use her litter box. I had her to the vet so that is all good. The cat had her own room/area. The two dogs (small dogs) were not allowed in the room and had not even tried to enter. About a week ago as I was in her room with her to encourage her to eat since this all started (she likes eating while I am with her) . While I was in there one of the dogs came barreling through the small gate into the room. I was shocked because I had no idea the dog was going into the room. So what I think had happened is back when I got the cat, (had her since a kitten) I put some foam tubing around the small gate to make it just more small to prevent the dogs going in. I had this wild hair one day that I would change out that foam tubing with pool tube things. Not realizing that now the opening was just a little bit larger than it had been. As I can figure out that was just enough larger that one of the dogs thought she would enter . So I assume that this had been happening for about two weeks or so that the dog had been going in there and the cat is totally traumatized by this.

Since I realized what was happening, I have been trying to resolve this. I have been reading a lot and I have been trying to implement what Jackson Galaxy advises. I got a totally different type of litter and replaced it in the box but still she would not use it. On to plan B. I got a couple of cheap boxes and put them in the areas that she had been peeing in with the new type litter. I even put them up on a maybe 7 inch pedestal so it would not be ground level . At this point now the litter boxes are in the common area where the dogs can be and that is why I raised them up from the floor.

So she has started using the new boxes in the common area but still seems hesitant to use them. But she is using them. I still feed her in her room. She is clearly still agitated though because her tail swishes back and forth like she is unsettled. I have also put a new litter box with new type litter in the room. The old box is still there. Jackson Galaxy said do not remove the old box. ? She does use the new box some also but is not easy about it.

I guess I could just use some ideas or thoughts as is there anything else I can do. ? Or should do? Am I on the right track. Will it just take time?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had read about difffusers but do not know much about them. I was considering checking it out but wasn't sure. I know it should help but with so many changes going on I didn't know about adding something. My head is spinning right about now. Can you point me in the right direction for the best diffuser?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Feliway is popular, and also there is cat music. There's Spotify, YouTube, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unffortunately the only place she can be free from the dogs is the room she started out in. I will not force her to be in the comon area but my house is small. I can't force her to stay in the "room" either .
I guess I will keep the litter boxes in both areas and let her decide.