Litter Box Dilemna

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, in recent times (maybe the last 2-3 months?) our 8 month old poops in the litter box, but almost always gets the poop on the inside wall of the box... it's getting pretty bad as we switched to pine pellets and had to downsize to a smaller box.. it occurred in an extra large litter box too though.

Anybody have any ideas on things I can do to encourage a different pooping strategy for this cat? She is very much a location-based pottier - she pees in the front of the box, and poops in the back, just gets the poo all on the side in the process?

Alternatively, any products to make this easier to deal with? (not sure what that'd be though?)

It's just a pain to have to watch for it and go clean it asap before it gets even harder to clean / the smell permeates the house much faster / etc. It does feel unhygienic too.

TIA!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have a cat that is location-based pottier, she pees in the front of the box, and then turns around to poop in the back. She also hits the walls on both occasions. But, unless she has soft stool, it generally does not stick to the side of the box.

So, first I wonder if your cat's stool is too loose?

Aside from that, I am not sure you can change a cat's pottying preferences. I did just recently get Feeby a larger box, and so far I noticed she is less inclined to poop right up against the wall, but is maybe less than an inch away - still pees on the wall though. She has only had this box for less than a week, so I am waiting to see if her habits change at all over time. Tbh, I doubt it.

I cover Feeby's poop (she does not), then scoop the poop and tilt the box so the litter is away from the area she pooped. Then, I use Spic-n-Span antibacterial spray on paper towels to clean the area. After drying the area, I tilt the box the other way, and with her pee I have to take paper towels to remove it from the walls, after also covering it first too. Ditto with the Spic-n-Span and paper towels for cleaning before I re-level the litter. This has been a life time routine with Feeby, she is 16+ yo.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ruby is an end of the litter box pee-er and poop-er as well. Sometimes she'll do one at one end of the box and the other at the other end, and sometimes both at the same end. But usually right against the side of the litter box, so we get waste stuck to the sides as well.

Tapping the side of the box will sometimes loosen things, so it's easier to scoop, but if that doesn't work, like FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , I use paper towels. I also am a huge fan of Petkin LItter Box Wipes and disposable deli gloves for getting the litter box cleaned.

As for encouraging a different pooping strategy, I don't think there's a way to do that, and I'd be worried that it would result in a worse habit, such as peeing / pooping outside of the litter box.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Try lining the litterbox with a puppy pad. They come in sizes large enough to cover both bottom and sides of a box and they are unexpensive. They also prevent corner urine clumps and the need to wash the box as often.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I have a cat that is location-based pottier, she pees in the front of the box, and then turns around to poop in the back. She also hits the walls on both occasions. But, unless she has soft stool, it generally does not stick to the side of the box.

So, first I wonder if your cat's stool is too loose?

Aside from that, I am not sure you can change a cat's pottying preferences. I did just recently get Feeby a larger box, and so far I noticed she is less inclined to poop right up against the wall, but is maybe less than an inch away - still pees on the wall though. She has only had this box for less than a week, so I am waiting to see if her habits change at all over time. Tbh, I doubt it.

I cover Feeby's poop (she does not), then scoop the poop and tilt the box so the litter is away from the area she pooped. Then, I use Spic-n-Span antibacterial spray on paper towels to clean the area. After drying the area, I tilt the box the other way, and with her pee I have to take paper towels to remove it from the walls, after also covering it first too. Ditto with the Spic-n-Span and paper towels for cleaning before I re-level the litter. This has been a life time routine with Feeby, she is 16+ yo.
Thanks! It's hard to go up to a very large size with the sifting litter boxes - seems if they're made very large the sifting gets difficult to manage? But that would be nice, I think. Maybe one day they'll make one that works. I appreciate the cleaning advice! That box tilt method sounds promising!

I wouldn't say the stool always sticks? Some days it's slightly less solid than others, it's usually pretty solid, leaving just a tiny bit of residue on the box sides. We free feed dry food and do half a can of wet life's abundance in am and pm --

haha Feeby! 16+ years..... bring it on?

Ruby is an end of the litter box pee-er and poop-er as well. Sometimes she'll do one at one end of the box and the other at the other end, and sometimes both at the same end. But usually right against the side of the litter box, so we get waste stuck to the sides as well.

Tapping the side of the box will sometimes loosen things, so it's easier to scoop, but if that doesn't work, like FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , I use paper towels. I also am a huge fan of Petkin LItter Box Wipes and disposable deli gloves for getting the litter box cleaned.

As for encouraging a different pooping strategy, I don't think there's a way to do that, and I'd be worried that it would result in a worse habit, such as peeing / pooping outside of the litter box.
Oooh I'm a big fan of cleaning wipes and will definitely be checking out what you've mentioned.

Yes, it's nice to hear from others who experience the same, but I am seeing this is more of a 'playing the cards you're dealt' situation, so to speak after receiving feedback. Thank you!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oooh I'm a big fan of cleaning wipes and will definitely be checking out what you've mentioned.
They're great, and though a tad expensive, more than worth the money. Nature's Miracle also has litter box wipes, as does Arm & Hammer. Here's the Amazon link to litter box wipes, if you're interested. Amazon.com : litter box wipes

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use the natures miracle wipes and I recommend them, no smell (to humans) and my cats don’t mind them after they’ve gone into a box that was wiped.

We have a similar issue where sometimes one of my cats poops near the side and the poop rolls down the box side ☹ So regardless of poop consistency it’s leaving a nice streak. This same cat takes a long time to decide where in the box to poo so he’s twirling around digging holes finding his spot and sometimes while he’s doing this...poop literally flies out his butt. I have it on camera since we have motion cameras near the boxes. It shoots out like a bullet 😞 and sometimes does not land in the box if he has his butt up in the air. Trust me this is not fun.

Gross but have you tried leaving the stain on the box to discourage her pooping there? I’ve tried this and for us it didn’t work. I kind of threw some litter from the box onto the poo area using the scooper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use the natures miracle wipes and I recommend them, no smell (to humans) and my cats don’t mind them after they’ve gone into a box that was wiped.
I definitely plan to get some wipes! I like the nature's miracle sprays a lot.

We have a similar issue where sometimes one of my cats poops near the side and the poop rolls down the box side ☹ So regardless of poop consistency it’s leaving a nice streak. This same cat takes a long time to decide where in the box to poo so he’s twirling around digging holes finding his spot and sometimes while he’s doing this...poop literally flies out his butt. I have it on camera since we have motion cameras near the boxes. It shoots out like a bullet 😞 and sometimes does not land in the box if he has his butt up in the air. Trust me this is not fun.
Oh my goodness. :eek: I know the reality of what you are describing is not at all funny, but your description just had me laughing out loud. Do we need a "my cat doesn't do the poop right support group?" 😅

Gross but have you tried leaving the stain on the box to discourage her pooping there? I’ve tried this and for us it didn’t work. I kind of threw some litter from the box onto the poo area using the scooper.
Had never heard of that! Worth a shot~ Thanks!

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I definitely plan to get some wipes! I like the nature's miracle sprays a lot.

Oh my goodness. :eek: I know the reality of what you are describing is not at all funny, but your description just had me laughing out loud. Do we need a "my cat doesn't do the poop right support group?" 😅

Had never heard of that! Worth a shot~ Thanks!
The funny thing is sometimes he squats right and sometimes he just sticks his butt out behind him think like a human standing bent over with their hands on their knees and butt out behind them. Because of this the butthole is not aimed at the box! He is deadly. I’m pretty sure he’s in training for poop warfare.