Litter Box And Litter Question?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 4litter boxes and use the premium clumping type. I scoop each one at least 3 times a depending how much they are used but I still can smell an odor.....help
I completely clean them every 7-8 days and after scooping I add fresh litter. But nothing seems to help the odor
What kind of litter is it? My mom has a good sense of smell and never complained about unscented multi-cat litter even when we had three cats.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What kind of litter is it? My mom has a good sense of smell and never complained about unscented multi-cat litter even when we had three cats.
I use Cat’s Pride, premium clumping litter...actually it seems lately the odor isn’t bad, I only smell it when I’m scooping it. I scoop 2-3 times a day and completely clean litter box once a week. I have an extra litter box, so each week I swap them and wash the used one.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I use clay litter. Whatever is on sale. I was using paws and claws from tractor supply because that seems to be the best deal around. All the boxes are in the basement so I dont worry about smell. I scoop once a day and only do a full change when they really start to stink and the litter looks dirty. Ive only washed them once.

When I move to a new apartment, if it doesnt have a basement I expect to have to change my litter ways. I will probably use Ever Clean litter because it is unscented but i think it still smells nice and clumps really good also doesnt track too much. I would probably cut down on the number of boxes. I have 2 cats and 4 boxes. They only ever use two of them. I would line it with a puppy pad and do a full litter change at least monthly. Probably wash them too.

I just don't worry about that now because they are in the basement and i never go down there except to do laundry.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With clay litter my cleaning routine is scoop at least once a day, preferably more, and dump/scrub the box monthly.

I've been using unscented, clumping clay litter but I'm slowly switching to Feline Pine. I used Dr Elsey litter for years but I got tired of it sticking to the box like cement, so I tried a bunch of clay litters and didn't like any. I've mostly stuck with Tidy Cat because the price is good and the clumps aren't cement-like. I really don't like Tidy Cat though because it tracks everywhere and even though it says it's unscented I think it still has a pretty strong scent. Hopefully my cat will be ok with Feline Pine if I transition slow enough.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I fully clean the one huge litter box my cat has with bleach/water/vinegar once a month. If the box is too dirty imo, I spot clean using Petkins litter wipes. Right now, following @duckpond, I am using a mixture of Smart Cat & Litter Maid Walnut. My cat has had no problems, and I like the natural scent and how it's lightweight. I tend to scoop either once a day or once every two days.

When I was using clumping litter, I only used Dr. Elseys & Boxcat. But I hated how there would be clumps sticking to the bottom of the pan and to the scoop. I've also used Feline Pine, which was great for me but I worried about the feel of it on my cat's paws so I switched to my current brands.