Litter Box And Litter Question?

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m wondering...how often do most people completely clean out and replace the litter in the litter box? And what is your cleaning process usually like?

I feel like I haven’t really gotten down a schedule and cleaning process that works and kind of do it randomly by the way it looks and smells. Sometimes I will clean it out once a week (which is a bit much I realize) and other times once a month.

I also use tidy cats scented litter...and am not too sure how I feel about it.
It’s pretty cheap...but heavy and the smell is a bit strong. It also gets everywhere. I mean it’s what most people use...but wondering if there is anything better to try out there?

Thanks in advance for any inputs!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you using clumping litter? I dump it completely once a month on the 1st, scrub with hot water and dish soap, dry and fill back up with brand new litter. When I scoop, I add back a cup of fresh litter everyday to keep it 3 inches deep. For litter, I just usually use 40 pound boxes of store brand from BJs, Tractor Supply, or Special Kitty from Walmart.

Momto3newkittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I pretty much do the same as Maggiedemi. I dump and clean once a month and then put in new litter. In between those cleaning I scoop the boxes at least 4 times a day. I do that mostly because of where they are located in the apartment. As the litter in the box gets used I will freshen it up throughout the month to keep it at 3 inches. I was using Boxie cat gently scented litter but recently switched to World's Best. My female doesn't seem to like it so I might be switching back to Boxie cat or trying to find something else.

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use cats an white cat litter non clumping I clear out the solid waste every day but do a complete change of the catsan and put fresh litter in twice week

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one cat and one litterbox. I would prefer to have two but she will only use one box at a time. Anyway, I line her litterbox with a puppy pad and scoop or sift her box a couple times a week and change out the puppy pad once a week.

Because the pad absorbs any moisture that makes it to the bottom or corners of the box, there is no odor or wet sticky litter clinging to the box and no need to wash the box itself. Every couple months, I do fully change out the litter.

I only use unscented litter because my cats have always preferred it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I pretty much do the same as Maggiedemi. I dump and clean once a month and then put in new litter. In between those cleaning I scoop the boxes at least 4 times a day. I do that mostly because of where they are located in the apartment. As the litter in the box gets used I will freshen it up throughout the month to keep it at 3 inches. I was using Boxie cat gently scented litter but recently switched to World's Best. My female doesn't seem to like it so I might be switching back to Boxie cat or trying to find something else.
One thing to keep in mind with Worlds Best, or any grain based litter is that mice love it. I never had mice until I started using and then had an infestation.

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One thing to keep in mind with Worlds Best, or any grain based litter is that mice love it. I never had mice until I started using and then had an infestation.
I had heard that and this is the reason I don't use it. I was going to buy some until I was told that but it put me off

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, personally, I don't like the idea of "food based" litters. I did use Sweet Scoop awhile back and did not have any issues, but I no longer use it.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Exactly the reason I don't use it. I've always thought it might smell nice to us but is it going go be OK for my kittens
The answer is no. I have always read cats do not like scented litter. My mom does not like scented litter so she always buys multi-cat strength formulas even though we only have one cat. It works for us and Daisy.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
One thing to keep in mind with World's Best, or any grain based litter is that mice love it. I never had mice until I started using and then had an infestation.
LOL Mice must have a good sense of smell if they can sniff out litterboxes that are not dirty.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a grass based litter, either abound from kroger, or smartcat from chewy. I also use Litter maid walnut litter than i get from walmart. They are both fragrance free, and basically dust free. Light weight which i like too.

I have fairly big boxes, so i pour in two bags of litter in each box, and never top up. I scoop about 3 times a day, never top up. After 2 weeks i dump the boxes, wash and refill.

my 3rd litter is Dr. Elseys respiratory relief crystals, again fragrance and dust free. I put about 2 inches of litter in the box. scoop the poop whenever i notice it, and stir the whole box up twice a day. I also dump and wash this box every two weeks. This may be the easiest litter to use.

My son uses clay litter, he loves the Fresh step aloha breezes. he keeps his boxes topped up, and does a monthly wash and change.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two different types of litter that I use (I tested both to be sure my cat would use them and she has no issues with switching) because of my living situations. I'm a college student so during the school year, I use Tidy Cat Light Litter for Multicat that isn't scented because between my roommates have cats and all 3 cats in the apartment use my liter box. When I am with my parents over the summer, I've been using Tidy Cat 24/7 performance.

I have a litter liner that I use at all time and have a litter mat I put out because my cat (and all the cats in the apartment) are messy as heck. Over the summer I clean once a week, change the liner and whole litter once a month (and clean the box depending because my cat will tear the liner sometimes with her claws trying to cover). While at school I clean the box every 3 days and change the whole litter every 3 weeks. Thats a lot, I know, but the cats at school tend to use my litter box much more often than any other box in the apartment.

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a jumbo, high sided box for my girl. She is a large Bengal. I only use sWheat Scoop with her. I scoop twice a day and treat the litter box like a horse stall (I have a heavy duty metal scooper and sift and turn the entire contents). I top up as needed. I’m one of those that never completely dumps. My house never smells (I’ve had people comment/ask how my house doesn’t smell like cat!).

Swheat Scoop is expensive litter so I buy the largest size bag. The largest bag is about $40 Canadian but lasts me about 5 months. I have 2 boxes for her but she uses the one in my bathroom 99% of the time. I also love that I can flush this litter so I never have dirty litter standing in my house. To me it smells like wheat and I also love how low dust it is.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 4litter boxes and use the premium clumping type. I scoop each one at least 3 times a depending how much they are used but I still can smell an odor.....help
I completely clean them every 7-8 days and after scooping I add fresh litter. But nothing seems to help the odor

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have not had a vet visit recently i would think about it. Different illness can cause cats to have smelly urine and or poo. As can some foods, some have an issue with certain ingredients, and it can be hard to figure out what it is, i have one boy that with peas or potatoes he has smelly gas and poo. A girl that loves nutro minced chicken but something in it gives her stinky poo. They dont have much problem with anything else. :dunno:

Also, i think human noses are different. I use to use clay litter, and almost each and every one stank to me, worse that what the cats left in it. I have dumped a whole new box of litter the same day i opened it, several times, because it smelled so bad once they used it even once or twice.

I now use a Grass litter, either abound from kroger, or smart cat from Chewy. I also use littermaid walnut litter from Walmart. Or Dr. Elseys crystal gel respiratory relief litter. None of these have a fragrance, and they don't get stinky in the litter box. at least not to my nose. I do not top up my boxes, i fill them well, scoop 3 or 4 times a day, and do a total change every two weeks.