Lincoln is getting dry paw pads

amandad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! 

Lincoln (9 months) is getting dry paw pads. He's indoor only. I've never had a cat get dry paws before, so I'm wondering what I can use for them. 

I've looked at Espree Paw Balm and Musher's Paw Protection. Espree says it can be used on cat's paws too, however, Mushers only specifies for dog use. They're the same ingredients, though, so I'm thinking I could use either product on Linky. Have any of you used either of these products on your cat(s) with success? Does it work?

Also, I've heard coconut oil works well for animals with dry skin or skin issues. Is this true? Is it safe to use on cat paws?

Thanks in advance!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry! It meant by posting a reply, I was bouncing your post up to the top of the line so maybe someone would see it who could answer your questions. I don't know the answers but someone should at least be able to tell you about the coconut oil. Sorry again!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found that this can happen with certain litters. Not sure what you use. Clay is a natural detoxifier and very drying.

The problem with putting something on the pads directly is that it will get everywhere as they walk around and oil-based products stain badly. For dogs, they can put the booties on. Most cats won't tolerate those. And whatever you use would need to be safe to be ingested, as they are sure to lick it off. 

I've never used the balm products you mentioned. In my experience, coconut oil and olive oil would be safe in this regard. Coconut oil is more of a "dry oil." Olive oil has a different fat makeup and thus more moisturizing, but also a laxative when ingested...so thin layer only. And, again, it will rub off on furniture and such. You could try George's Aloe Vera (non-oily, non-toxic, latex-free). It has the consistency of water, so you could soak a cotton ball and rub it in.

You might also want to research and talk to your vet about healing and moisturizing from the inside out. An omega-3 supplement is oftentimes suggested for dogs and cats with dry, scaly skin.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry! It meant by posting a reply, I was bouncing your post up to the top of the line so maybe someone would see it who could answer your questions. I don't know the answers but someone should at least be able to tell you about the coconut oil. Sorry again!
It's okay. I'm sorry for being confused. I'm not used to the term "bounce" for that purpose, that's all. Thank you though! :)

amandad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I have found that this can happen with certain litters. Not sure what you use. Clay is a natural detoxifier and very drying.

The problem with putting something on the pads directly is that it will get everywhere as they walk around and oil-based products stain badly. For dogs, they can put the booties on. Most cats won't tolerate those. And whatever you use would need to be safe to be ingested, as they are sure to lick it off. 

I've never used the balm products you mentioned. In my experience, coconut oil and olive oil would be safe in this regard. Coconut oil is more of a "dry oil." Olive oil has a different fat makeup and thus more moisturizing, but also a laxative when ingested...so thin layer only. And, again, it will rub off on furniture and such. You could try George's Aloe Vera (non-oily, non-toxic, latex-free). It has the consistency of water, so you could soak a cotton ball and rub it in.

You might also want to research and talk to your vet about healing and moisturizing from the inside out. An omega-3 supplement is oftentimes suggested for dogs and cats with dry, scaly skin.

Good luck!
I use a mixture of Arm and Hammer and Blue Buffalo Natural Walnut (more of the Walnut litter is in his box) though he uses the other two as well, which one has more Arm and Hammer than Blue because it's used less often and Tygra will not use Blue litter so hers has all Arm and Hammer. 

I hadn't thought of the oil based products staining things. But yes, obviously it would have to be non-toxic as those things can and will get ingested. The Espree says it is good for cat use too, so I may try that one. I planned on buying socks for Link so that way he wouldn't lick the stuff off as soon as I put it on and so that way it gives the stuff time to soak in.

I'll have to do some research on George's Aloe and where to get it in my area. I have to be careful with the Omega-3 supplements as Tygra is allergic/sensitive to Salmon. All of the Omega-3 supplements are made from Salmon oil. It's just dry paws that are the issue, though. Not dry or scaly skin. 

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I use a mixture of Arm and Hammer and Blue Buffalo Natural Walnut (more of the Walnut litter is in his box) though he uses the other two as well, which one has more Arm and Hammer than Blue because it's used less often and Tygra will not use Blue litter so hers has all Arm and Hammer. 

I hadn't thought of the oil based products staining things. But yes, obviously it would have to be non-toxic as those things can and will get ingested. The Espree says it is good for cat use too, so I may try that one. I planned on buying socks for Link so that way he wouldn't lick the stuff off as soon as I put it on and so that way it gives the stuff time to soak in.

I'll have to do some research on George's Aloe and where to get it in my area. I have to be careful with the Omega-3 supplements as Tygra is allergic/sensitive to Salmon. All of the Omega-3 supplements are made from Salmon oil. It's just dry paws that are the issue, though. Not dry or scaly skin. 
Are you in the U.S.? I purchased my George's Aloe Vera at the local "The Vitamin Shoppe." I use an omega-3 supplement for Boo that is human-grade and comes from small fish (anchovy, sardine, mackeral).

Good luck with the socks! I'll be shocked if he leaves them on for any extended period of time! LOL. 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Please double check the Aloe Vera. It's reported to be toxic to cats. Just a heads up...

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you SO much for clearing up the Aloe Vera issue. I've been confused about it for ages. [emoji]128062[/emoji]
No worries.  
  When you see aloe vera listed in the list of things toxic to cats by the Pet Poison Helpline and what not, they are erring on the side of caution. I totally understand that. Many people wouldn't know to look for a latex-free product and so it's just better to say it is all toxic.

amandad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Are you in the U.S.? I purchased my George's Aloe Vera at the local "The Vitamin Shoppe." I use an omega-3 supplement for Boo that is human-grade and comes from small fish (anchovy, sardine, mackeral).

Good luck with the socks! I'll be shocked if he leaves them on for any extended period of time! LOL. 
I am. There is a Vitamin Shoppe close to where I work. I will have to check it out. I should have been more clear about the Omega 3 supplements, though. What I meant was all the products in the pet supplies stores are all derived from Salmon. lol. Oops. I will do some research on the Omega-3's. There are Omega-3 and 6 formulated into my cats food already, though I doubt it's the correct amount of what they need on a daily basis to help maintain healthy, moisturized skin. 

Link is a bit of a "weird" cat. He likes most things "typical" cats would not. lol. Or maybe all the cats I've had before him were the "weird" ones and he is the "Typical" cat. lol. 

Thank you all for all of your help! :) 

Last edited: