Limping And Lethargic 6 Month Old

mamahen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it caused by them giving the Rabies and FVRCP Distemper vaccines together? I was thinking of spacing them out next time my cats get them, but it is hard to take them to the vet more than once, they are still quite feral with strangers.
Some animals are more sensitive than others. I adopted a puppy that I wanted to split vaccines - my vet apparently didn't and gave all vac's - even though I said no. His immune system couldn't handle it and caused a demodex flare up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well we have had Theodore about a week now. My other cats are seemingly fine, however they are not regularly vaccinated as they don't go outside and I honestly did not plan on getting more cats. I am hoping this doesn't spread around again. I really would not know what to do. He isnt sneezing, eyes are fine, his lungs sounded great, no wheezing, no ulcers, just the fever and bit if limping. Sigh. I hope it is only him. I really do.

Last edited:

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would anyone suggest taking him to the emergency clinic if he is wobbly when he walks? He had his antibiotics and fluids from the vet about five or so hours ago now. I'm so scared. I have a fan blowing on him now and honestly I'm terrified of trying to take his temperature because I know it is high still. I can just tell by how he's acting.

Last edited:

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At the emergency vet now. His temperature is 106.2 still so they have put alcohol on his paw pads and ice packs in his carrier with him. We are waiting for a doctor now. Please pray for my sweet baby.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, long story short, they said if they wanted to figure out exactly what was wrong with him it would cost $4000, and even then it might be inconclusive. The vet then asked some of the people up in the medicine department and they said they bet he has Mycoplasma. He has the symptoms for sure. So for now that is what we are going with. The vet said the good news is he is stable, as in he is alert and is handling his very high fever well. She said he is in a lot of pain, especially when she moves his joints. His left "wrist" is particularly swollen, but she said most of his joints are as well, which would explain the wobbliness and why he was limping. And that is a symptom of Mycoplasma, simultaneous joint swelling. So we have decided to have him hospitalised over night where they will try to get his fever down and give him antibiotics and whatnot. He comes home tomorrow morning and will continue with two different types of antibiotics. Until then we just bought flea medicine for our other cats (since Mycoplasma is passed into cats from fleas, usually, which he did have when we got him) and will treat the other 10 cats as soon as we get home. I truly hope my baby will make it through this. Everyone said how handsome he is and it made me so happy. But yeah, I am a blubbering mess right now. I hope that what they think he has is correct so we don't have to keep guessing and spending money. The vet visits total for both places today will be around $600, plus flea medicine so like $700 today. I don't mind, I would do anything to save my cats, but it is hard when I don't even have that money to start with.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to say because I have n oidea about what mycoplasma is apart from reading from wikipedia.
Hopefully the antibiotics will do their job. I presume they are particular antibiotics, because I have read that many regular AB's aren't effective on these bacteria because they have no cell membrane.
About keeping your kitten cool, I wouldn't use a fan because it sends an air flow that could be harmful. Much better if you use ice or wet pads.
Best of luck!

gchris7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2.5 month old kitten had a similar issue about 2 weeks. He woke up after a nap and he couldn't put any pressure on his front left leg. In a few hours he was feverish and lethargic. We took him to a vet in the morning but they had no idea what could cause this. They injected him for the fever and he started getting better. By the next day, his leg was almost fully recovered but he continued to be lethargic and feverish. He is still not fully recovered...

Eventually, after a week of many other issues that came up with our kitten (head swelling, tongue ulcers, etc.) we went to a more experienced Vet and he told us that there is a condition affecting kittens that causes limping due to joint swelling and high fever and should be treated with cortisone.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, as of yesterday's vet visit, Theodore's fever has gone from 106.2 on Monday to 100.8, so he is definitely doing a lot better. He is no longer limping or whining, he is jumping and running around and acting like his normal self. He is staying in seclusion away from my other cats until his antibiotics are gone and then probably a bit after that as well, just so we know for sure all the other cats are okay too. I have no idea what he could have had or has, I just know he is one tough kitten and he is doing so well for it only being five days since he's been in critical condition and the two antibiotics he is on seem to really be doing the trick.