Lily flower smell hurt cat?

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there

Does anyone know if the smell of lilies are harmful to cats? I know the plant and all it’s parts is incredibly dangerous (just learned this tonight), but what about the smell?
Korra Kat didn’t ingest any parts or have any pollen on her, but we had a Lily bouquet that went from just one bloomed flower to 5 bloomed flowers, and the fragrance is quite strong....Even for me...

This evening she had a very aggressive coughing fit. She hasn’t had one of these coughing fit since her food allergies issues back in October. I can attest it’s not food related this time cause we haven’t changed any of her food for the last 2-3 weeks. She plays and eats in the same room that the bouquet are in.

she’s sneezed a couple of time the other day, and has been sleeping per her usual. I wouldn’t say she’s lethargic by any means, no drooling or diarrhea (yet), and consumed both evening meals with vigor so she’s not appetite-less. the cough fit really has me concern that the Lily fragrance could be getting to her or something?

Anyways I just threw out the whole bouquet , obviously not chancing it- and will keep an eye out for the next 12 hrs. it’s night here, so hopefully she’ll be fine sleeping tonight. When I threw out the flowers I did inspect it and all pollen were in tact, and I def would have noticed a flower or leaf missing if she had torn them off /ate them...

PuffandPercy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can only speculate, but I know that I don't need to ingest pollen to set off my allergies; perhaps just the airborne pollen was irritating her enough.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Does anyone know if the smell of lilies are harmful to cats? I know the plant and all it’s parts is incredibly dangerous (just learned this tonight), but what about the smell?
Lily power is extremely toxic to cats even if they don't eat it, when they smell it, the pollen of the flower may be inhaled into the nostrils. Please do not keep Lily flowers at home.

Here are s few important articles :-

cats-lilies-avoid-the-danger-lurking-in-your-home

cats-plant-list

household-chemicals-and-your-cats

common-foods-that-are-harmful-to-cats

first-aid-for-cats

animal-poison-control

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird def had the ER vet and poison control number handy throughout today

tabbytom tabbytom thank you for those links, very helpful! definitely will read over and reference!

P PuffandPercy lol, when you put it like that, it sounds like an obvious duh! ha. thank you for making it so obviously simplicity!

UPDATE/ its been 24 hrs since Korra's aggressive coughing fit, and since then- everything has been normal. whew. she had another cough fit this AM (though shorter than last nights) and a single cough 30 mins ago. she ate breakfast, treats, and dinner all with excitement. she's been playing and jumping per her usual. though she was really conked out today during napping, in the most deep sleep way I've ever seen her, which made me nervous. I've included a photo of the sleepy head! but all is normal, and I'm thankful. she passed some pooped even, and it was a normal healthy bowel movement. now, maybe her blood count may be a bit off or her liver/kidney could be working a bit harder- but I think I don't need to rush to ER (for now). I'll prolly schedule a visit with her primary vet and looking into getting some blood work done to make sure all is healthy w/ the organs (or if we wanted to add any supplements/monitor the next few months, just in case). that was a scare! and I, fortunately, only saw the tip of the iceberg! I can't image how other cat parents felt when lily poison striked for real/ harder for them! ekkk!!

Attachments

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Lol, that's a "I drank too much this weekend" type of sleep

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that everything has been okay. Looks like kitty is soaking up some daylight. It brings to mind a quote from J.A. McIntosh.”If there is one spot of sun spilling onto the floor, a cat will find it and soak it up.” Kitty is being a sun sponge. ;)