Lightest weight fastest clumping litter?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So even though I have 4 boxes all my guys are now only using Zena‘s box in the studio. I changed it to my biggest stainless steel with a plastic side panel thing. When I trapped him he was not using the box and would only use wee pads in the cage but I slowly trained him to the box. At some point I changed to clay litter because he did not seem to like world’s best which is in the other 2 and the last is the cat genie with washable litter.

I have been trying various clay litters including the light weight ones. Then I tried one of the cat attracts and it clumps really well but it is very heavy and hard to scoop. I tried arm and hammer unscented now, it clumps ok, but not as well maybe and is very heavy. And it is also not really unscented, wt??? Lol

The lighter weight clay ones did not clump so well. is there something that clumps faster? I need to scoop a lot with three cats using one box and they like it clean. If I scoop before it hardens litter gets stuck all over the scooper- I am using a metal one with tons of open areas. Is there any scooper that will pick up the tiny clumps that break off?

I would also like to stop the clay because I am allergic to clay and have been sneezing a lot more etc. Ultimately I want to go back to the cat genie but none will use it now. I am not sure if Merlin ever did and Quinn stopped pretty much. Zena has not used it afaik. I tried the grass litter once I think but it got everywhere, such a mess, and I am allergic to grass as well.

They won’t use the hooded one with wbcl now which is what M & Q were using. And no one will use the top loader with wbcl except Quinn did once or twice when I first got it for the studio when he was a baby in case he was there with me.

Q and M do edge pees even with this larger box and I am wondering if any box can remedy that. The pee/ clay gets stuck and never really clumps properly there.

Last edited:

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Sustainably Yours? Very lightweight, not clay, clumps well.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to use World's Best - it was something I could carry with my weak arms and it clumped well. It's a corn based litter.

The reason I'm not using it now is Delilah was chewing her paws like crazy after using clay, corn, and pine (tried them all) to the point you could see the pinkness through her fur. Finally I started on a crystal litter. I have the automatic scoop free litter box. It doesn't clump, but it dehydrates and stores the solid and the liquid is absorbed and stirred up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to use World's Best - it was something I could carry with my weak arms and it clumped well. It's a corn based litter.

The reason I'm not using it now is Delilah was chewing her paws like crazy after using clay, corn, and pine (tried them all) to the point you could see the pinkness through her fur. Finally I started on a crystal litter. I have the automatic scoop free litter box. It doesn't clump, but it dehydrates and stores the solid and the liquid is absorbed and stirred up.
Thanks 😀 I have liked worlds best but they won’t use that box now and Zena seemed to not like it. But maybe I can switch them back.

That is good she likes the crystals, I tired them years ago but my cats did not like the feel on their paws and it smelled so bad etc. I have not tried the new systems I think. I tried one that had a wee pad under it, I can’t remember what the litter was on top but it didn’t work well and Wiz peed too much for it. Merlin pees a lot too so with three kitties it prolly wouldn’t work.

Where does the liquid go?

I wish they would all start using the cat genie but I don’t know if it could keep up with 3 cats peeing etc. it takes a while to cycle through and dry.

I bought a small bag of sustainably yours and will try that in another box. I am a bit worried because some reviews said it makes a huge mess because they track it all over, and it sticks in their fur/ paws etc. I got the larger size ones but they are still tiny.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
On the worlds' best they have multiple varieties.

Sometimes it depends on the crystals. Both my cats use both boxes. With kitty tummy issues the boxes have been filling quickly, but they also make a "reusable" tray (I prefer the convenience of tossing the tray and not having to wash it - easier in my apartment). They crystals are silica - basically like those little packs you find to absorb moisture that are labeled "do not eat" in some food boxes. So the crystals themselves retain the liquid.

This is what I have: ScoopFree® Second Generation Automatic Litter Box | PetSafe® - to be honest the girls do track it a bit. A good mat helps. I have 2 of them, bought at different times. Neither girl has a problem with it. In fact if they are in the room when it rakes (20 min after use) they will go over and watch it. When I had 1 cat I changed the tray every 3 weeks. With 2 cats, even with 2 boxes, I need to change every 2 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the worlds' best they have multiple varieties.

Sometimes it depends on the crystals. Both my cats use both boxes. With kitty tummy issues the boxes have been filling quickly, but they also make a "reusable" tray (I prefer the convenience of tossing the tray and not having to wash it - easier in my apartment). They crystals are silica - basically like those little packs you find to absorb moisture that are labeled "do not eat" in some food boxes. So the crystals themselves retain the liquid.

This is what I have: ScoopFree® Second Generation Automatic Litter Box | PetSafe® - to be honest the girls do track it a bit. A good mat helps. I have 2 of them, bought at different times. Neither girl has a problem with it. In fact if they are in the room when it rakes (20 min after use) they will go over and watch it. When I had 1 cat I changed the tray every 3 weeks. With 2 cats, even with 2 boxes, I need to change every 2 weeks.
I don’t think I can use them because Quinn once ate some dessicant when a pac dropped on the floor and had to go to er. Fortunately he was fine. There are some things he goes for like dessicant and rubber bands.