Light pink foamy liquid after big hairball/vomit

scarlettleia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We came home from work today to a big vomitty mess from one of our three. There was the main culprit of quite solid half digested food mixed with a bit of hair, really quite a lot of it, and some puddles of liquid dotted around which were mostly yellowish/clear. A few hours later two more little puddles appeared, both small, like the sort of aftermath of a hairball, but they were tinged ever so slightly pink, so light that we couldn't really even tell until cleaning it up with a white paper towel.

Unfortunately it's 3am and a sunday tomorrow so almost no vet is open aside from emergency cases over an hour away, and all three of the cats seem to be their usual selves, very cuddly and grooming and energetic, wanting to be around us, playing with each other etc.

I've noticed that Percy didn't want to eat his dry food when I put it down but was still very interested, and has returned several times to sniff at it. I've given all of their bellies a good check, everyone is soft and comfortable and no protests, and no blood or anything in the litterbox.

All three of them are drinking happily.

I am assuming that what's happened is one of them (I suspect Percy) has had a bit of an icky belly, had a big, sore vomit (the piles were quite firm and thick looking, I can't imagine they would be comfortable to get up) and irritated the lining of his throat, thus leading to the pinkish liquid vomit after and lack of interest in dry food (sore, perhaps?)

Should I just keep an eye on it and if it continues, or there's a change in behaviour, go to the emergency vet, or should I be more concerned than I am?

I'm feeding Percy separately tomorrow as soon as I can grab some more wet food (we ran out) in the hopes that if it is an irritated throat, that'll be a bit more comfortable for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarlettleia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not a vet but I'm thinking this is a good plan.
It's so easy to freak out when you see pink coming out of your cat anywhere! But when I think logically about it, when I throw up a lot, or cough a lot, sometimes I get a pink tinge too from an irritated throat! It was very much a case of 'get a torch on it and clean it with white paper' because we honestly couldn't tell if it was pink or if we were just seeing things, it was that light.
Fingers crossed it was a one off and everyone's back to normal tomorrow!
It'll be a sleepless night for me watching their every move I think 🤣

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarlettleia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update today:
I think it was actually Elizabeth, our 7 year old. She vomitted again in the night but there wasn't a lot of it and there was no blood in it.
There's been no more today, and all three cats have eaten and drank water, and are their usual selves.