Light Dry Food For Kitten

Iraklas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, i have a question for you. I have an obese adult cat and a 3 month kitten. I feed them a mix of grain free wet food and orijen dry food. Because the obesity of the adult cat i am feeding them both light dry food. I did a comparison between the orijen kitten dry food and their light dry food i'm currently feeding and their differences are that the light food has 4% more protein, 2% less carbs and 5% less fat. Do you think that i'm safe giving the kitten the light food? He refuses to eat other dry foods i tried

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens need a lot of protein, fat and calories to grow and develop. I think the fit and trim has 15% fat? I think this would be enough for a kitten, especially as this is not their only food. You are feeding a variety of wet foods as well?

I feed Dr. elseys kibble, and it has 18% fat, i would feel fine about giving it to a cat of any age. not a huge difference in the fat %. I would just make sure the kitten got enough of the foods you feed, he will most likely need more than the obese adult cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Iraklas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens need a lot of protein, fat and calories to grow and develop. I think the fit and trim has 15% fat? I think this would be enough for a kitten, especially as this is not their only food. You are feeding a variety of wet foods as well?

I feed Dr. elseys kibble, and it has 18% fat, i would feel fine about giving it to a cat of any age. not a huge difference in the fat %. I would just make sure the kitten got enough of the foods you feed, he will most likely need more than the obese adult cat?

Yes, the fit&trim has 15% fat. I'm also feeding all sorts of lilly's kitchen wet food, mixed with aniforte vitamin supplement. Kitten is a fussy eater and he prefers wet food a lot more than his dry food, which is a lot more costly for me. I tried raw food which is another healthy and less costly option but he doesn't like it

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you improve the calorie count in the kitten food, and I personally would, your adult cat may try to take the kitten's food.

In that case you might make the kitten a feeding house. Use a sturdy cardboard box and cut a small, really smaller than you think (a relatively plump cat can go through a 5 inch door in a box) for the kitten. Leave the back flap open so you can put the food in it. Then shove the box up against a wall. You may need to brace it if your adult cat is serious about getting into it.

Our adult cat got rather plump on the orijen regular food, but she did enjoy it.