Letting Ally and Ollie roam or not?

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As a refresh, Ally and Ollie were living with me in Minnesota in an apt. They had free roam of the whole apt during the day, but not the bedroom at night where I slept. We're back in Florida in a large house and I am keeping Ally and Ollie in the bedroom where I am sleeping. This will only be for a month or two max that we'll be here. The last time I let either one have free roam in this house, months ago, Ally fell from the second story to the first and got hurt. Nothing permanent fortunately, but there were over $1,000 in vet bills.

My question is, now that they're both more or less adults. Should I give them a second chance to roam the house? They both seem to really REALLY want to go exploring out of the room.

Basically, would keeping them in the room have negative consequences for them emotionally and psychologically, as well as possibly physically (exercise).... and if so... does meeting their desire to roam and avoid these consequences warrant the risk of somebody getting injured?

I tend to feel that the risk of injury takes priority here and that they should stay in the bedroom where I know they're safe, but I could use some advice.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not do it, I remember what happened last time and I feel like that house itself isn't very cat friendly. Cats generally have great jumping skills and orient themselves very well so they don't fall, so for Ally to fall like that I feel like there was something about the design of the house that made it tricky...

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote no. Ditto on the safety of the house. Why not try letting them visit different rooms once in a while when you can be with them? Making sure windows are secure and there is no access to the balcony where your kitty took that fall. That would satisfy their need to explore, yet be safe.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the same people in the home that were there the last time? If I remember right they were partially responsible for it (not keeping an eye on Ally).

Even though the cats are older, if the same people are there they probably haven't changed and I still wouldn't let the cats out loose with them.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote "yes" with some conditions:
1. YOU supervise them the first few outtings.
2. If you are leaving the house, put them back in their room.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO if you are gonna be in the house for a month or two, no reason not to let them explore - just be sure they don't go outside.

fiddledee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd say that as long as the part of the house you're letting them roam in is cat safe. No poisonous chemicals or anything they can get choked on, etc...But as far as falling, most cats learn through instinctual behavior how to survive and cope with a fall. Of course this doesn't work in all circumstances, but I'd say that they should be ready to experience more, especially being more toward adulthood, considering they are the average cat.

Also, when you first let them out [for safety and peace of mind for all of y'all] make sure that you don't leave the house and are able to see them most of the time.