Let's talk about poop: Homemade and raw cat food poop vs store bought food poop.

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks daftcat75 daftcat75 ! She has been going 100% normally and there's basically no odor anymore (my favorite part).
From what everyone has said, it sounds like these are pretty normal for a mixed diet that isn't chicken-based, and without any other symptoms I don't need to worry too much. Some worrying comes standard for me :lol:
I'll continue my new poop investigation hobby, and that way I can know right away if anything changes

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks daftcat75 daftcat75 ! She has been going 100% normally and there's basically no odor anymore (my favorite part).
From what everyone has said, it sounds like these are pretty normal for a mixed diet that isn't chicken-based, and without any other symptoms I don't need to worry too much. Some worrying comes standard for me :lol:
I'll continue my new poop investigation hobby, and that way I can know right away if anything changes
I definitely wouldn't worry! (Particularly since what I'm scooping looks so similar! :lol:) One other thing: Sometimes I find what's basically obvious hair -- sometimes it's even pointy! -- covered with a layer of poop. This is perfectly normal, too. (Something I know all too well after suspicions that one cat wasn't passing her fur!)

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One other thing: Sometimes I find what's basically obvious hair -- sometimes it's even pointy! -- covered with a layer of poop. This is perfectly normal, too. (Something I know all too well after suspicions that one cat wasn't passing her fur!)
My boy has pointed hairy poops regularly, but not my girl, which was worrisome to me as not only she grooms herself, but also provides this precious service to him (not reciprocated). This has changed since I've started giving her egg yolk lecithin regularly, now both have furry poops, especially in the shedding season.
Call me crazy but I'm sort of addicted to controlling their poops... We dealt with diarrhea a lot when they were kittens and that's when it started. I won't even let my husband scoop the litter box as I need to check it first. I wonder if there's rehab for such addiction.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy has pointed hairy poops regularly, but not my girl, which was worrisome to me as not only she grooms herself, but also provides this precious service to him (not reciprocated). This has changed since I've started giving her egg yolk lecithin regularly, now both have furry poops, especially in the shedding season.
Call me crazy but I'm sort of addicted to controlling their poops... We dealt with diarrhea a lot when they were kittens and that's when it started. I won't even let my husband scoop the litter box as I need to check it first. I wonder if there's rehab for such addiction.
The great thing is that the better the diet fits the cat, the easier it is to see if the hair is coming out. I think adding more eggs to our cats' diet helped with passing fur, too.

Scooping the box is my task but cleaning up barfs is my husband's and I always ask to see what came up if it wasn't just "egg white"!
:barf:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl used to have hairballs every few months on a homemade/commercial diet. She hasn't had a hairball since I switched her to all homemade and increased the egg yolk in it. I have also noticed that she is shedding less overall.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All three of my cats have slender, dry-ish, dark poops that don't stink. That's with a regular rotation of chicken, beef and pork mixes.

Occasionally, I don't have meat thawed in time and give them some canned food. That definitely changes the consistency/color to thicker, wetter and lighter stinky poop.

If you're mixing raw and canned, (which is fine to do, IMO) then the poop is likely to be somewhere in the "middle".

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All three of my cats have slender, dry-ish, dark poops that don't stink. That's with a regular rotation of chicken, beef and pork mixes.

Occasionally, I don't have meat thawed in time and give them some canned food. That definitely changes the consistency/color to thicker, wetter and lighter stinky poop.

If you're mixing raw and canned, (which is fine to do, IMO) then the poop is likely to be somewhere in the "middle".
We feed a daily combination of commercial raw, homemade cooked, and one small canned meal a day... and the cats do really well on it. Since even the canned foods are all so meat-intensive and low-carb, they don't poop much (not quite every day) and there's barely any smell at all. Every now and then something goes a little haywire and there's some smell but I think the big key has been keeping it all as low-carb as possible. Of course every cat is different!

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMG_20200201_183509079.jpg
IMG_20200201_183459265.jpg

Incredibly late but here's the result of u-stew and ground beef. Idk why I keep forgetting about this!