Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sleep, sleep, why can't I sleep? Well, I can, but not for more than four hours at a time, apparently. I need sleep. I have work tonight. I have to be rested to do my job--because it's exhausting. Just not exhausting enough, or I'd still be sleeping!

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I never clipped my kitties' nails on the back paws before. I will be after today!

View media item 369569
That just one side of my arm. The one on the other side is gonna leave a nice scar. Also got my stomach and throat. All because I was trying to put him in the carrier. Granted, after 20 minutes of trying to catch him! I should have just taken Oscar to the vet by himself when I first thought about it. But nooo I just had to get Oliver too. Took Oscar with my wounds still dripping slightly, mom called during the visit with the vet to say they got Oliver in the carrier, ran over, dropped off Oscar, and then took Oliver. Geesh!

Lots of lessons learned today, let me tell you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Darn it, planned long post here, talking with everyone...thunder, lightning, high wind, driving rain, cat under bed...I'M OUTTA HERE!

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Anne!   

A very old time member here.  I dont post so much but I do still think that is the best cat site with  lots'a  nice members.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sleep, sleep, why can't I sleep? Well, I can, but not for more than four hours at a time, apparently. I need sleep. I have work tonight. I have to be rested to do my job--because it's exhausting. Just not exhausting enough, or I'd still be sleeping!
I understand completely.  Sometimes my mind does not want to let me sleep  I get like that too sometimes and I also work retail.  I feel your pain. I could have used three of me today.  The front cashier called off on truck day.  I had to run the whole front end by myself with no over-flow help.  Lunch time is nuts with no back-up.  It was pouring rain and I was still swamped.  Usually it gets slow in that type of weather.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
That just one side of my arm. The one on the other side is gonna leave a nice scar. Also got my stomach and throat. All because I was trying to put him in the carrier. Granted, after 20 minutes of trying to catch him! I should have just taken Oscar to the vet by himself when I first thought about it. But nooo I just had to get Oliver too. Took Oscar with my wounds still dripping slightly, mom called during the visit with the vet to say they got Oliver in the carrier, ran over, dropped off Oscar, and then took Oliver. Geesh!

whenever I get scratched or bitten by Bebe's sharp teeth which she uses because she has no claws I pour peroxide on the wounds, then put band aids over them and they heal up very fast and either leave no scars or just very fine white lines you can barely see. Peroxide does not sting and disinfects the wound very well.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

yowch! I always trim my cats claws on all four feet because they love to bunny kick everything and get snagged if the back claws aren't done.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
whenever I get scratched or bitten by Bebe's sharp teeth which she uses because she has no claws I pour peroxide on the wounds, then put band aids over them and they heal up very fast and either leave no scars or just very fine white lines you can barely see. Peroxide does not sting and disinfects the wound very well.
I'd need a dozen bandages (or better yet just wrap my whole arm) to cover them all. I'm starting to think the one is a bit deeper than I originally thought. You know it's bad when the vet's office is freaked out though, lol. I don't mind the sting from the alcohol actually, at least I can tell it's getting to it then. Although my vet cringed when I told him I poured alcohol on my arm immediately afterwards!

yowch! I always trim my cats claws on all four feet because they love to bunny kick everything and get snagged if the back claws aren't done.
Dang skippy, these guys are getting those back feet trimmed for sure from now on. The vet did it for me today (one of the first things they asked was if I wanted them to trim their nails - I said absolutely!). So in two weeks I'll do them all again. Of course in their case, they had two of them working on them (three in the case of Oliver).

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo used to scratch me a lot, and I mean a lot, when I was playing with him, and I never put an antiseptic on the scratches. They all healed just fine.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo used to scratch me a lot, and I mean a lot, when I was playing with him, and I never put an antiseptic on the scratches. They all healed just fine.
You can't really see the two bad ones in the pic I posted. Those two are so bad there are actually bruises underneath the scratches! I've never had that before. I've not put anything special on it so far, but may (or may not) tomorrow. Knowing me, I probably won't, lol.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't really see the two bad ones in the pic I posted. Those two are so bad there are actually bruises underneath the scratches! I've never had that before. I've not put anything special on it so far, but may (or may not) tomorrow. Knowing me, I probably won't, lol.
Usually I do soap and water and then triple antibiotic ointment. Knowing a few doctors- Peroxide and Alcohol are actually bad for wounds as they can cause greater damage by making wounds deeper and slowing healing. 

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Usually I do soap and water and then triple antibiotic ointment. Knowing a few doctors- Peroxide and Alcohol are actually bad for wounds as they can cause greater damage by making wounds deeper and slowing healing. 
Curious what they say about cat-related wounds? Those seem very prone to very bad infections. Although cat scratch fever is a thing, I think it's more the bites that cause infections than the scratches. So, I always use alcohol with those. Never had a problem with it so far.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Curious what they say about cat-related wounds? Those seem very prone to very bad infections. Although cat scratch fever is a thing, I think it's more the bites that cause infections than the scratches. So, I always use alcohol with those. Never had a problem with it so far.
Honestly- doctor's think soap and water is best for scratches, then more if something starts to go bad. Cat bites they freak out about though. My manager at the volunteer center got bit by a cat and they had her come in right away to do IV antibiotics and to have it cleaned with specialized antibiotic ointments. I think that's a bit much personally, but maybe it was because it was a cat at the shelter that bit her? The reasoning was that if an infection developed they would need to do one week of IV antibiotics, 10 days of oral antibiotics, and possibly more. 

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly- doctor's think soap and water is best for scratches, then more if something starts to go bad. Cat bites they freak out about though. My manager at the volunteer center got bit by a cat and they had her come in right away to do IV antibiotics and to have it cleaned with specialized antibiotic ointments. I think that's a bit much personally, but maybe it was because it was a cat at the shelter that bit her? The reasoning was that if an infection developed they would need to do one week of IV antibiotics, 10 days of oral antibiotics, and possibly more. 
Wow, I got bit last year (canine tooth firmly in thumb) and I pretty much did the same thing as I did with the scratches. Oh, and let it bleed like crazy (apparently that's a good thing with cat bites). Poured alcohol on it, wrapped it up a few days (changing each day) and then it was fine.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I got bit last year (canine tooth firmly in thumb) and I pretty much did the same thing as I did with the scratches. Oh, and let it bleed like crazy (apparently that's a good thing with cat bites). Poured alcohol on it, wrapped it up a few days (changing each day) and then it was fine.
I think that doctor's get a bit too cautious about cat bites- this is because cats have a very very dangerous bacteria in their mouths. Mostly people who get bit by cats are fine though. 

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I understand completely.  Sometimes my mind does not want to let me sleep  I get like that too sometimes and I also work retail.  I feel your pain. I could have used three of me today.  The front cashier called off on truck day.  I had to run the whole front end by myself with no over-flow help.  Lunch time is nuts with no back-up.  It was pouring rain and I was still swamped.  Usually it gets slow in that type of weather.
It must be back to school madness. 
Those really hurt. I hope they don't scar.
I think the infections from claws are more for cats that hunt than cats that don't--I've heard that if they can't properly scratch (and clean) the claws little bits of carrion can get caught up around where the claws retract and that  is what makes the bad infections. (Of course, I have no idea how true that is.)

When I was in high school and we were looking to get a cat one of the things we did was we went to the shelter where we were allowed to pet all the cats in the kennels as long as we used alcohol gel between each animal. One of the cats there was a Russian blue that looked just like Tom (from the cartoon Tom and Jerry), so I went to pet it. It chomped down on my hand midpurr and I still have insane trouble with the arm that got bit. (It swelled, turned colors, and was all but useless for three months as doctors tried to figure out what was wrong with it.) So, I understand the overreaction a bit. Who knows? They might have been there to see the incident in the first place! 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd need a dozen bandages (or better yet just wrap my whole arm) to cover them all. I'm starting to think the one is a bit deeper than I originally thought. You know it's bad when the vet's office is freaked out though, lol. I don't mind the sting from the alcohol actually, at least I can tell it's getting to it then. Although my vet cringed when I told him I poured alcohol on my arm immediately afterwards!
Dang skippy, these guys are getting those back feet trimmed for sure from now on. The vet did it for me today (one of the first things they asked was if I wanted them to trim their nails - I said absolutely!). So in two weeks I'll do them all again. Of course in their case, they had two of them working on them (three in the case of Oliver).
I would be careful with those scratches. They look really bad. 

One time Artie, after a dental, and when he was stoned from the pain meds, just hauled off and chomped down on my foot!! I thought nothing of it. He was purring, rubbing my legs etc,, it was feeding time.. 

I did get an infection from it. I had to have IV antibiotics, ER visit, and strong antibiotics for 2 weeks.. 

Since then, I am really careful about scratches, bites... I try to wash them out with soap and water, alcohol and peroxide.. then I use an antibiotic with bandaids on them...

Yesterday, I got a good bite from Angel, at the shelter. I was playing nicely with her, but she got really spooked and aggressive when someone else came in the room. She just chomped down on the meat of my forearm. I have 2 fang puncture wounds (the worst kind) and a bruise from another fang.. I did not have my supplies with me so I put a lot of Purell on it. When I got home, I jumped in the shower, soaped it down really well. I came out, put peroxide on it, and slept with neosporine and bandaids on the punctures. 

This morning, after the shower, I wiped them down really good with peroxide. 

I usually carry a bag with me to the shelter. Complete with gloves, Wound wash, bandaids... They do have a first aid kit in there, but the alcohol wipes are in short supply. So wound wash it is....for me at least... 

Status
Not open for further replies.