Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have a cat thats afraid of bugs. Like so afraid that they let out a yowl then run and peek at it from around the corner?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:eek: I've NEVER come across anything like that. Is it a particular type of bug, or bugs in general?

Of course, depending on where you live, this caution could be a good thing - some bugs can cause real problems for cats. Even a 'harmless' spider can cause serious problems if it manages to bite the windpipe on the way down - another member had a medical emergency as a result of this happening. Thankfully, the cat is just fine now :)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am thankful most of the painting is now on the top half of the walls, except that painting is hurting my wrists. Typing all day and then painting is not great for the wrists.

It may be time for me to crack out my wrist braces. This barely ever happens, but it does happen sometimes like now. Wrist braces really help.
Probably a good idea.  I've had a great deal of luck with wrist braces when mine were acting up.  You may also want to use some kind of wrist rest when typing.

Is anyone else having problems with this site? Whenever I type anything here the cursor gets stuck and won't move no matter what I do or the screen suddenly shows stuff from farther up or goes up and down, very annoying. i don't have that problem anywhere else, just here, and it does not matter which thread I'm on, or trying to send a private message. 
Someone earlier mentioned that they were having these problems with either Internet Explorer or Chrome.  I haven't been having any problems with Firefox.  However, I do close the TCS tab whenever I finish with it.  Things can slow down considerably with too many tabs open.

When I try to use Safari on my first generation iPad, it keeps kicking me out, generally in the middle of writing a message.  This is a problem with Safari and the outdated operating system on the iPad, not with the site.  When I try to get on the site with my Nook Color it keeps on telling me that it's a security risk.  It also says this about Wikipedia and the Barnes & Noble website!  Truly brain dead.  As for using the smart phone, the screen is too small.  If I actually try to preview a message on it I end up totally lost.

Margret

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

I have totally been worrying about this. So far no. But they are wrestling with the drop cloths for the paint so that is a bit annoying. They're both so wild. Angua really makes Carrot play like a kitten.

I hate to admit but most of the paint Mouse got covered in was my fault - for thinking large sheets of polythene would work well as furniture protection when I did my sittingroom.  Of course what happened was the paint dropped on the sheets but didn't soak in and dry like it would on regular dust sheets....  Mouse wrestled with the sheets and burrowed in underneath them and got paint absolutly everywhere.  

It may be time for me to crack out my wrist braces. This barely ever happens, but it does happen sometimes like now. Wrist braces really help.
I spent about 12 months with a wrist brace and just as my wrist was healing I had to paint  my mother's entire flat (which is HUGE+++).   I wouldn't have survived without the brace during the decorating.  Sadly there are times I could do with wearing the brace now but I made such a mess of it when I was decorating I don't think I could wear it again - and it was really expensive to get the right one.  Ones I got from our health service didn't work at all.

I can't wear wrist braces--for some reason they make my arms swell and become unable to bear any kind of touch or pressure on them. (Don't know why, and don't really care.) I'm glad they work for you and you'll be able to finish your painting with minimum pain. 
That sounds awful.   I had problems initially with strapping which wasn't quite right and that had a similar effect, but once I got a brace that gave the correct support and fitted me properly it was comfortable to wear and no swelling above it.   Braces that don't fit are a nightmare.

Mouse is having a sweet day today (so far).  He's been snuggling, demanding of head kisses, and stretching and posing in the early morning sunshine.  Hopefully his cuddliness will continue through the day.  

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have a cat thats afraid of bugs. Like so afraid that they let out a yowl then run and peek at it from around the corner?
In the winter, we get pine beetles in the house. They don't do any harm, they are just annoying. If you smash them, they let out a pine smell. I think it smells good. The cats just sit and stare at them. I always know when one is in the house, as six cats will form a circle around it and sit like statues.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are getting rain every day this week, and have already had it for four or five days. Go away depression. :nod:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I would gladly take your rain-we need it!

Yesteday afternoon wrestled with a bunch of bags of mulch. And soaked my shirt with sweat. Then watered the gardens because the hour of rain we got was hardly enough. Some of the plants are wilting its so dry. Dug some holes and planted the tomatoes-filled the holes with water first-then soaked em-they were outgrowing their little pots.

I didn't get to finish the flowers due to it being 88 today-they would have dried out=I wont be home until 7 tonight and even later tomorrow night. I don't think I will get a chance to water anything until Thur after 6 when I get back. I tried to get up earlier today but couldn't get my butt in gear until 5:15 so  didn't have time to water the strawberries. Maybe tonight in the dark I will water them. I really wish we would get a few days of rain-worried the wells will dry up without rain.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With painting all that is left is the really odd walls. The one with the huge window grouping and the one with all the pieces of the heating system. These will be hard to paint since there is very little wall on these walls. 

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With painting all that is left is the really odd walls. The one with the huge window grouping and the one with all the pieces of the heating system. These will be hard to paint since there is very little wall on these walls. 
Those kind of walls always take so much time. Like painting a kitchen or bathroom, there's so many things to paint around. I feel your pain!

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cool. Bug phobia and bug love. I saw my cat moterboating a bug earlier (he was standing with his mouth wide open right over it screaming) and it made me think about if cats can be scared of bugs.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those kind of walls always take so much time. Like painting a kitchen or bathroom, there's so many things to paint around. I feel your pain!
Me too. When I was younger I did a lot of painting when we were redoing our other house. Now we have this good friend whose business is painting. I know his phone number well.:lol3:

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Me too. When I was younger I did a lot of painting when we were redoing our other house. Now we have this good friend whose business is painting. I know his phone number well.:lol3:
I used to love painting. I volunteered to paint all the rooms in my house when I moved in 3 years ago instead of having my landlord do it. He was baffled. Now I'm considering repainting a couple rooms but I'm exhausted just thinking about it. It would be nice to have a change though. Maybe someday...

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I got an email back from the vet's office that I applied for a part time job at. It has a fancy title that I think is mainly a receptionist, but I don't care what it is. They scheduled a call for 1:30 today to discuss my availability. I don't really know the days/hours they were looking for, I just saw it was part-time. And seeing as I have a day job, I'm limited with my availability, which I also stated in my cover letter. But seems like they are interested in me enough to set up this call, so considering that a good thing!

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, I got an email back from the vet's office that I applied for a part time job at. It has a fancy title that I think is mainly a receptionist, but I don't care what it is. They scheduled a call for 1:30 today to discuss my availability. I don't really know the days/hours they were looking for, I just saw it was part-time. And seeing as I have a day job, I'm limited with my availability, which I also stated in my cover letter. But seems like they are interested in me enough to set up this call, so considering that a good thing!
Ooooooooo! How exciting! I hope it works out well for you. I beat your heart will jump start when the phone rings!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
segelkatt segelkatt

I have a voice recording of my great aunt who emigrated to the U.S. alone at age 14 in order to escape the pogroms under Czar Nicholas II. She never saw her parents again, and they did not survive.

Her brother was my maternal grandfather. He had already emigrated a few years earlier alone at age 17. We have a copy of the ship's manifest that lists him as a passenger in steerage on the Baltic. He came through Ellis Island - same year as "Fiddler on the Roof" is set in. Same reasons. Lived in a shetl (village) just like Anatevka. Knew only Yiddish and Hebrew at that time.

Three years ago my then 16-year-old daughter played Chava in a community theater production of "Fiddler." I just love the music in that show. Would give anything to see the current revival on Broadway.

Anyway, my great aunt Dora Goldberg (long deceased now) came from NY to spend the holidays with us when I was ten. I had asked for a tape recorder for Christmas, and that's what I got. Reel to reel back then, with a hand held microphone. I "interviewed" my aunt, with her yiddishisms and slight Russian accent, and I saved the tape.

Fast forwad to 40 years later. I found the tape, took it to a place that was able to transfer it to CD. I had copies made and sent them to family members, including two surviving daughters. It's now included in our family geneology materials.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooooooooo! How exciting! I hope it works out well for you. I beat your heart will jump start when the phone rings!
We've had three calls this morning (two spam calls and one from my niece) and I jumped each and every time. And that's knowing that it's too early for the phone call!

I think I really, REALLY need to take a hard look at my bills and see what I really need to pay the bills, and see where I can make cuts perhaps. I need to get away from where I'm working now - full time. It's just becoming so... toxic for me. And killing my spirit. I'd totally do this full time if I could make enough (they actually have a full-time and part-time position open for this), but that would not happen.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

We've had three calls this morning (two spam calls and one from my niece) and I jumped each and every time. And that's knowing that it's too early for the phone call!

I think I really, REALLY need to take a hard look at my bills and see what I really need to pay the bills, and see where I can make cuts perhaps. I need to get away from where I'm working now - full time. It's just becoming so... toxic for me. And killing my spirit. I'd totally do this full time if I could make enough (they actually have a full-time and part-time position open for this), but that would not happen.
I hope it works out for you! Gets your foot into the door and maybe networking with other pet places would get your name out there. I am sure you are excited-keep us posted! Good job for getting off the hamster wheel!

I admire people who go after their dreams-keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.