Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

oh I could never deal with that. i have to have trees and plants..its so green right now with the rain we had on wed/thur? and now the leaves have popped. its amazing how fast the trees fill in around here

Well you gotta do what you gotta do.  When it's 120 in the shade in the summer, who wants to be doing yardwork, right?  That's why we don't have dogs anymore.  We didn't want to have to have a big backyard to maintain with grass for them to play fetch, potty, etc.    When we lived in Southern California, we had all that, and DH spent his entire weekends on landscaping.  It looked great, but he wanted some free time once we relocated. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
well i could never live where its too hot to go outside. i would go insane. literally. i live to be outside as much as possible. either in my truck driving around or walking around outside. i dont mind the house but to be cooped up would make me depressed. hats off to those who live where its hot!

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

we have town water and sewer- they got into trouble because they failed to install bigger sewer plant to handle the capacity., now because they have to build a new treatment facility the cost per unit went from $1.50 to now $10 a unit for sewer. my bill went from $60 to $250. And watering the garden pushes it to $500 every three months. so the town kicked the can down the road even though they were told to fix the problem.

so instead of raising taxes which are high enough as it is  they rip us off who use the system. If I could drill my own well and put in sewer I would but there isnt a way to do it and afford it.
I know what you mean by the rip-off part. The city tried charge us back fees for sewage usage when we're county and have a septic tank. We're not even on  the city sewage grid; it's not even an option where we live! (Lotta farms out this way--another reason I thought the kitties'd be safe as indoor/outdoor cats.)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

well i could never live where its too hot to go outside. i would go insane. literally. i live to be outside as much as possible. either in my truck driving around or walking around outside. i dont mind the house but to be cooped up would make me depressed. hats off to those who live where its hot!
But it's a DRY heat
.  Seriously.  I'll admit 120 is pretty darned hot, but I'll take 100 degrees with 8% humidity over 75 degrees with 80% humidity any day of the week.  I've done both and much prefer the dry heat. 

If we want to go for a walk, we just do it  VERY early in the morning when it's only 95 degrees, and we take along LOTS of water
.  But the good thing is, that only lasts for about 4 months.  The rest of the year is great!  When you're under 8 feet of snow, we're running around in short sleeves and doing our hiking

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, but it's a dry heat...Someone had to say it. I grew up in the Midwest with humidity. I'll take the desert over that any time.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I prefer humidity, but then it's very humid where I live and even more so where I grew up. Of course, I also used to dance in the rain as well.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Personally, I prefer humidity, but then it's very humid where I live and even more so where I grew up. Of course, I also used to dance in the rain as well.
It makes me miserable. And my last foray east cost me a fortune in hair products.  I live above 6000 feet in dry thin air and feel wonderful.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my Chewy order today. I had Angua sitting next to me while I put the food away probably wondering why none of the cans were for her. I also got my assignment for the shelter. I am going to be working at the pet store that deals with FIV+ kitties only. It should be a fun adventure educating people about these cats.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Some people go totally water free and have only rocks and a few pieces of driftwood in their yards.  I couldn't cope with that.  Needed some shade trees and a little bit of greenery. But I figure we use less water in a week than evaporates from my sister's pool in one day
My other personal favorite is the yearly lecture in the Southwest about water conservation. I mean have we really overrated flushing the toilet ? Only to hear that the city has approved the building of another 10,000 homes to be connected to city services. I live I the country and it doesn't effect me. My xeroscape is the natural desert.

We're at capacity. sorry.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It makes me miserable. And my last foray east cost me a fortune in hair products.  I live above 6000 feet in dry thin air and feel wonderful.
To each their own. I grew up in the humidity (and for some reason my hair only tends to frizz in out of season chill weather--which I don't question, because I'm kind of afraid to know why), so I'm more comfortable in humidity. When I visited a relative in a drier climate, I thought for sure I was coming down with something because my throat always felt dry and I was thirsty all the time

I got my Chewy order today. I had Angua sitting next to me while I put the food away probably wondering why none of the cans were for her. I also got my assignment for the shelter. I am going to be working at the pet store that deals with FIV+ kitties only. It should be a fun adventure educating people about these cats.
Our local library has a bulletin board for FIV+ kitties that need homes or were recently adopted by people who had no idea that their cats were FIV+. (The shelter has a new manager now, so that doesn't happen as often as it used to.) I don't know a lot about FIV+ cats myself, so please update us on the info you're learning.

Poor Angua! Our cats have similar reactions when we bring in cat food (which is never at feeding time, to their consternation 
)

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

To each their own. I grew up in the humidity (and for some reason my hair only tends to frizz in out of season chill weather--which I don't question, because I'm kind of afraid to know why), so I'm more comfortable in humidity. When I visited a relative in a drier climate, I thought for sure I was coming down with something because my throat always felt dry and I was thirsty all the time

Our local library has a bulletin board for FIV+ kitties that need homes or were recently adopted by people who had no idea that their cats were FIV+. (The shelter has a new manager now, so that doesn't happen as often as it used to.) I don't know a lot about FIV+ cats myself, so please update us on the info you're learning.

Poor Angua! Our cats have similar reactions when we bring in cat food (which is never at feeding time, to their consternation 
)
This shelter adopts FIV+ cats out as what they call "permanent fosters" which means that they pay for all of the FIV related vet care as long as people bring the cats in to the shelter vet. People who adopt have to spend a long time talking back and forth with the shelter so that everyone knows what they are getting into. Most FIV cats do well in an indoor home. As far as I know, they're still not adopting cats out to people with other cats that aren't FIV+ just for liability reasons. This means I won't end up taking all of the kitties home. It's a win win. 

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This shelter adopts FIV+ cats out as what they call "permanent fosters" which means that they pay for all of the FIV related vet care as long as people bring the cats in to the shelter vet. People who adopt have to spend a long time talking back and forth with the shelter so that everyone knows what they are getting into. Most FIV cats do well in an indoor home. As far as I know, they're still not adopting cats out to people with other cats that aren't FIV+ just for liability reasons. This means I won't end up taking all of the kitties home. It's a win win. 
Glad to hear it. 

Changing the subject I've been struggling trying to bake a cake for AWM's birthday (despite it being the 21st we're celebrating the 22nd), and I just realized that I forgot to turn on the oven. 
 Maybe now  it will cook.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Glad to hear it. 

Changing the subject I've been struggling trying to bake a cake for AWM's birthday (despite it being the 21st we're celebrating the 22nd), and I just realized that I forgot to turn on the oven. 
 Maybe now  it will cook.
   Glad I'm not the only person who does stuff like that.  
   Also, I was sitting puzzling out how your mom could be celebrating a 21st or 22nd birthday!  

Then I realised you were referring to date not age.  Might have been influenced by my having been out lastnight for my youngest nephew's 21st, on the 21st. 
   Or, I'm stupid. 

One of my birthdays I went home to my mom's with a friend, my mom went out and left the pair of us baking an enormous chocolate brownie which had a tonne of ground almonds and chopped walnuts in so pretty expensive recipe...  Being 'us' and not really concentrating we forgot to add the eggs to the mix.   Much to my mom's displeasure we had a very messy lesson on what eggs do for cake.....  It rose up in the tray and then flowed over the sides like molten lava on to the bottom of the oven.  
    It tasted fab' but the whole thing was more of a sticky chocolate / nut mess.  I don't think my mom's ever forgiven us.  

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Also, I was sitting puzzling out how your mom could be celebrating a 21st or 22nd birthday!  

Then I realised you were referring to date not age.  Might have been influenced by my having been out lastnight for my youngest nephew's 21st, on the 21st. 
   Or, I'm stupid. 
For some reason, I also read it this way the first time. Must not be awake enough when I read the 21st and 22nd. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our shelter trapped a very distinctive tame cat during the latest TNR action. His owners claimed him after seeing his photo in the newspaper. He turned up at a feral cat colony around 40 km (25 miles) from home - and was trapped two years after he went missing. We're 99% sure it's the same cat. He could have climbed in a car or been picked up by somebody who noticed how beautiful he was.

Folks, get your cats microchipped!

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

Or, I'm stupid. 

One of my birthdays I went home to my mom's with a friend, my mom went out and left the pair of us baking an enormous chocolate brownie which had a tonne of ground almonds and chopped walnuts in so pretty expensive recipe...  Being 'us' and not really concentrating we forgot to add the eggs to the mix.   Much to my mom's displeasure we had a very messy lesson on what eggs do for cake.....  It rose up in the tray and then flowed over the sides like molten lava on to the bottom of the oven.  
    It tasted fab' but the whole thing was more of a sticky chocolate / nut mess.  I don't think my mom's ever forgiven us.  
oh my! I bet your mom was pretty upset-did the house smell like burnt chocolate? What a pain in the butt that must be. I didnt know that about eggs..I only know eggs hold meat together to make meatballs but not about baking.

took a short nap this morning-honeybee climbed up on me around 8am and we both fell asleep. she woke me at 4am to go out. of course no i didnt let her out. i made her wait unil 7. then she came back and slept on me until i snored and she took off.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our shelter trapped a very distinctive tame cat during the latest TNR action. His owners claimed him after seeing his photo in the newspaper. He turned up at a feral cat colony around 40 km (25 miles) from home - and was trapped two years after he went missing. We're 99% sure it's the same cat. He could have climbed in a car or been picked up by somebody who noticed how beautiful he was.

Folks, get your cats microchipped!
Wow! That is quite something. Both my cats are microchipped I'm glad to say. Having just one more possible way to get them back is very important!

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Or, I'm stupid. 

Baking soda is also important, especially in cookies. It's not as spectacular as what happened with your chocolate/nut mess, but it does get hard to eat when it cools. (Forgot it once in a chocolate-chip recipe.) Out of curiosity, how did  you get the mess up?

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hearing that there's a place like that really makes me happy. That's so awesome. Good for you for doing that too. I did my good deed for the week today - volunteered at the SPCA's feral cat spay and neuter clinic. Sort of a low turnout today, only 65 cats. But hey, that's still a lot of unwanted kittens we prevented! :)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Baking soda is also important, especially in cookies. It's not as spectacular as what happened with your chocolate/nut mess, but it does get hard to eat when it cools. (Forgot it once in a chocolate-chip recipe.) Out of curiosity, how did  you get the mess up?
Are the cookies really hard or soft without the baking soda @Tallyollyopia  ?    Hee hee, as my mom is a 'good' person and keeps her oven very clean we scraped up the gooey mess from the metal sheet on the bottom and snacked on that goo as well as the stuff from the cake tin.  It was more chocolate sauce than anything else though and it wouldn't keep.

@foxxycat   You will be pleased to know it smelled just as yummy as regular chocolate brownie baking.  

I just remembered another cake incident I had shortly after the brownie one and am thinking maybe baking has never been one of my stronger talents.  
    Part of a college course I was doing involved some cooking and baking, and in class, partnered up with another friend of mine (who I still keep up with some 35 years later)  had to bake a sponge cake....  well we were probably chattering more than we should have been, and when we looked in the glass front of the oven when the cake was nearly baked, all we could see was a splattered mess.  

Teacher was NOT amused (though we were), and made us both stay back after the class and clean the oven.  She said we had probably put in far too much sugar which resulted in it spitting and bubbling to make all the mess.   There was a thin crust of the sponge mix left in the tin but it didn't taste too good.   Thankfully neither of us have had to rely on our culinary skills for a living. 

Status
Not open for further replies.