Lethargic Cat : Vet Doesn't Know

Meenchou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody,

Firstly, i'm so sorry for my terrible english. I'm a french woman and as you know, french people are the worst english speaker :)

Si, I need your help for my female cat, Izya, which is very lethargic since two weeks. She is 6 years old, and i'm really worried about Her.

I bring Her To the vet four times. Blood works and x-ray show nothing wrong. No diarrhea, no vomiting, no fever.

Since one week, she has a tiny appetite. She is hungry for sure, but when she goes To smell Her dry food, she shake Her head and run out. Teeths are good and no problem with Her mouth.

Vet said she has nausea. So i have To give cerenia, pred, and probiotic. But nothing changes, she is always lethargic.

Vet wants to do biopsy by laparotomy, but he is not sure To find something wrong, and i can't take this decision without To be sure that she has a digestive problem.

So, my cat, 6 yo, is lethargic and eat less and less.

What can i suggest To the vet ? Have you any idea about an other medical test ? Maybe Their symptom are speaking To you ?

Many thanks !

Camille

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, M Meenchou - welcome to The Cat Site!

Sorry to hear that your kitty is feeling poorly. :alright:

Have you tried any other types of food besides dry food, liked maybe canned foods? Or maybe another brand of dry food?

Is she an indoor-only kitty, or does she also go outdoors?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meenchou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, my cat doesn't like wet food. I adopted Her two years ago.

She eats virbac dry food for intestinal problem because she has diarrhea at the first day in our home. She was health and very dynamic until now.

I tried To find a good dry food for sensitive stomach, but is not easy.

I bought dry Ziwipeak with venaison but no way for Her To eat it :(

And she doesn't like "human" food. She won't eat chicken, ham or anything else.

Have you any idea about a good dry food for sensitive stomach ?

Meenchou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And she is an outdoor cat but in a safe garden. No poison or anything else. But she eats always a lot of grass

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Our kitty Gohan stopped eating for a few days and was lethargic due to a large hairball ... we started giving him hairball paste and he was feeling better. I doubt it’s that simple but I thought I’d bring it up just in case. I’m not a hairball expert so I don’t know if the vet would be able to tell.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... She eats virbac dry food for intestinal problem because she has diarrhea at the first day in our home. She was health and very dynamic until now.

I tried To find a good dry food for sensitive stomach, but is not easy. ...
How often does she poop? Is it on a regular basis, and does she ever seem constipated or struggle to poop?

I do know that a cat can begin to feel nausea if it experiences chronic constipation, so I thought I would ask about that. Some dry foods can cause chronic dehydration, too, which can lead a cat to feeling unwell and feeling like not eating -- has the vet checked her for that? It's possible the dry food you use was great when you first brought her home a few years ago, but maybe now, some things in it might not be needed anymore (re: diarrhea issues might not be a problem anymore?) and she needs a little change in food? I don't know.

Maybe another member here will post soon, and might have more things to say to try to help you.

Meenchou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, i thought To hairball beacause she's litteraly a maniac cat with Her hair but i never seen Her To throw up an hairball. I give Her some savorial but she hates that. I will try To give more in next day. Savorial helps me To give med, i put it on Her mouth, and she has to eat it.

She poops one time or twice a day. No diarrhea problem anymore. No vomiting since a long time. She drings a lot of water but no kidney issue.

I Will change her food. Need something digest and delicious for Her. So difficult