Lesson Time - Ocicat vs Bengal

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You'll need a siamese, oriental shorthair, and a rex as well... I mean, if you really wanna know! LOL!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

Hey you'll have to have a Bengal as well to conclusively answer it!

Just for fun, here's Nikita's brand of madness:
She's gotten better at jumping since I took those video clips of her though.
Gee, I can't imagine why you have your fireplace blocked off.

They get into everything, don't they?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not only does Joyeux get into everything, she does it at 50mph and at the top of her lungs. She better not teach the baby Tonk to yell.. and Joyeux yells and whines, she doesn't just talk. All day long. About everything and about nothing when she's worn out everything else.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hope, Takoda is very small as well. I don't want to call him petite because he is so powerful and petite is girlie!
Magnum who is 5 months younger but is the same size as Takoda. Magnum is built like a tank.

Takoda has serious glitter and a rounder muzzle! Which I absolutely love!
Magnum has changed a lot in this picture, he has lost his baby face. He has a very angular face and gorgeous gold eyes.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

You'll need a siamese, oriental shorthair, and a rex as well... I mean, if you really wanna know! LOL!
Had the siamese previously, missing the OSH and I just adopted me a Cornie!

So, I only need an OSH and an bengal...

I'm good to go I think

pawsandwhiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How about with the snow bengals, what's the desirable or show quality traits? Obviously build wise and markings would be the same. My AOC snow spotted boy is very snowy with spots on hi belly, but his back is much dark with spots and lots of glitter. Is he a bit dark for a snow? Also i think maybe he has too many small spots rather than some of the otehr pics on here that look more defined?
His leg is stripy not spotty, is quite thick and blunt at the end. His legs are a mix of stripes and spots.

I keep trying to take better photos but as he is permenantly glued to my lap or moving way too fast for pics! it is very hard

He is only pet quality, i'd be interested to know what u think are his flaws. This is my first bengal so i am new to the breed standards etc. He is incredibly muscular, so solid, not a single bit of fat on him. He is so energetic and does backflips when playing with toys, which i have never seen before only ever having lazy BSHs!!

Not great photos sorry!!!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about snow bengals so I can't really help you. I'm sorry.

I thought it would be interesting to show an early generation bengal here. A woman I met through flickr is the happy owner of a very pretty F1 bengal boy. His name is Mr. Zenit and he's pretty much a charcoal spotted boy with lots of arrowhead spots. He also has a very wild face etc. Which is to be expected really since he's half an ALC.

Here he is cuddling with an F4 bengal girl

You can see his triangular arrowhead spots really well in this one, also notice the thick tail.

His back and profile

All those photos belong to her (as well as the cats) you can see more here

Now bengals these days are not as close genetically to the Asian Leopard cat as this boy but it's still interesting to see, especially when comparing to Ocicats, where the bengals came from.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bengals didn't come from the Ocicats. They used Oci's in later breeding programs.

But Oci's came from an orignal cross of siamese and abys - later threw in the silver classic tabby American SH - they are 100% domestic cats. No wild blood in them.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Bengals didn't come from the Ocicats. They used Oci's in later breeding programs.

But Oci's came from an orignal cross of siamese and abys - later threw in the silver classic tabby American SH - they are 100% domestic cats. No wild blood in them.
I know and I really didn't mean to give that impression I think I probably wasn't clear enough in my last sentence.

I sais in the post: "it's still interesting to see, especially when comparing to Ocicats, where the bengals came from."

A better rearrangement of the words would be "It's still interesting to see where the bengals came from, especially when comparing to Ocicats" and that's interesting (among other things) precicely because there is no wild blood in the Ocicats.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG Mr Zenit is awesome! I LOVE his wild face. That's the one thing I think is the best about my Simba is that he has a very wild face, even if he is an SBT Bengal.

Do you know if Mr Zenit is an easy cat to raise in the home? I've heard it was really difficult to have and F1 Bengal. I think my Simba is almost a throw back to the F1's because he is the naughtiest cat I've ever known.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

Do you know if Mr Zenit is an easy cat to raise in the home? I've heard it was really difficult to have and F1 Bengal. I think my Simba is almost a throw back to the F1's because he is the naughtiest cat I've ever known.
First of all most bengals (SBT included!) are very naughty and energetic cats. I don't think I've yet heard of a bengal who isn't
Anyway back to Zenit, his owner is pretty much dedicated herself to keeping cats. She has around 10 cats I think, 5 bengals and 5 rescues. She sais that Zenit is a *very* intense cat, powerful and active, much more so than "normal" cats. Also F1's don't always use litterboxes and prefer to go in water. They're definately not for everyone, usually shy around strangers and need to have a very stable routine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok Sig, I would agree its worded better the 2nd time around - clearer

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know the using the water thing might be better than the cat box. Just give them a tub of water to go in, and simply empty in the toilet when they're done. Then you wouldn't have to spend all of that money on kitty litter.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

You know the using the water thing might be better than the cat box. Just give them a tub of water to go in, and simply empty in the toilet when they're done. Then you wouldn't have to spend all of that money on kitty litter.
Just a lot of detergent for washing the towels you'd need to clean up after them.

I can't wait to add Penny to my household - I'm looking forward to the excitement she'll add by just being her Bengal self!

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

I don't know much about snow bengals so I can't really help you. I'm sorry.

I thought it would be interesting to show an early generation bengal here. A woman I met through flickr is the happy owner of a very pretty F1 bengal boy. His name is Mr. Zenit and he's pretty much a charcoal spotted boy with lots of arrowhead spots. He also has a very wild face etc. Which is to be expected really since he's half an ALC.

Here he is cuddling with an F4 bengal girl

You can see his triangular arrowhead spots really well in this one, also notice the thick tail.

His back and profile

All those photos belong to her (as well as the cats) you can see more here

Now bengals these days are not as close genetically to the Asian Leopard cat as this boy but it's still interesting to see, especially when comparing to Ocicats, where the bengals came from.
WOW! That is one stunning boy! He's gorgeous! Amazing type and I just love his profile. Thank you so much for sharing this Sigga!

Ares has pretty good bengal type. I took a ton of pics and have a link to flickr as well. Heres a composite, but theres more pics Here

You can see a few similarities between Mr. Zenit and Ares. The 'goggles', the puffy whisker pad, the marks on the whisker pad, the slope of the nose in profile, the somewhat angular face. Very cool!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Decided to share this photo here (it's also posted in my Nikita photos thread over in Fur pictures). Basically the Bengal glitter is easy to see on cats you meet if the light is right but can be hard to explain to people who have never seen it and it's quite tricky to catch in photos.

I deliberately tried to take a photo (took lots of tries) to show off Nikita's glitter so voila! You can see the golden sparkles, almost as if she's been sprinkled with gold dust. Not all bengals are glittered and the glitter came not from the Asian Leopard Cat but from one of the domestic cats used when the breed was created so it should be possible to find it in other cats but I think bengals are the only breed where glitter shows up very regularely.

To go back to the original topic, if you see this sort of shimmer on a spotted cat it's added weight on the "this is probably a bengal" scale when trying to tell the breeds apart.