Lesson Time - Ocicat vs Bengal

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

1) From left to right: Chocolate Silver, Chocolate, Hot Chocolate.

2) Center is Female (left is Demetrius, right is Charlie)

3) Gonna say the female in the center is the oldest, next Charlie, then Demetrius.

All guesses though, did I get it right???
You are correct about the female being in the middle and, yes, she's the oldest (do you know who she is?). You're right about Demetrius being the chocolate silver, but incorrect about the other two. Guess again...

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
DUH! *slaps forehead* Thats Sadielicious!!!

She's Hot Chocolate then? Charlie looks "hotter", but maybe thats just the way the camera picked up the lighting.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are correct. Yes, Sadie is definitely "hot", but the coloring in this picture is off because of lighting. Her undertone is definitely much darker (almost a reddish tone) than Charlie's coloring. But, no doubt about it, there are definitely some beautiful Ocicats on this board.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oHHH darn it, I didn't get the chance to guess

"hot" chocolate is more reddish undertones; Charlie's a medium chocolate, and I've seen some that are "cold" chocolate - more of a tawny (which is a legit color). Chocolate should be more warm to hot in color.

In the picture Charlie's 4 1/2 months old - but he's 2nd oldest right now - 8 1/2 months. Its almost 4 months between them all - Demetri at 4 months, Charlie at 8 months and Sadie at 12 months - that's kinda cool in my book

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really interesting to see those three. So the "hot" in the chocolate is basically rufous? like is found in Bengals?

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The following pics are of Tuscany, a girl I'm keeping back for show, from the recent Arctic Cowboy X Spellbound litter. I just took these, she's a little over 8 weeks old. For each pic I've commented on what I like about her.
With this girl you can see the similarities and differences between bengals and oci's. This girl isn't as flashy (paint wise) as some of the bengals being produced, but she's got the conformation nailed down pretty good.
I personally really like the way she looks, especially considering how young she is.

Tuscany has a combination of paw print and arrowhead rosettes, nice spotting on the shoulders and spots all the way to her hindquarters. No rib bar is a big plus.

Left side, same thing, nice mixture of the different rosetting. No rib bar!

Nice short thick tail.

Beautiful clear spots on a nearly t-shirt white belly. Her line carries for whited tummy that stay whited as adult, so I'm really hoping hers will stay this white, like Kahekili and Spellbound. (Kahekili is her grand-sire)

Nice spotted pattern down her back, shoulder markings are peppered with good acreage that isn't muddled up with broad stripes.

Nice big puffy whisker pads, strong chin, brick nose leather. Nice goggles around the eyes. Eyes are a nice shade of green already for her age. Hopefully she gets Kahekili's beautiful eye color. I think her ear placement is good and they don't look overly big for a kitten, so she should have small ears as an adult.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see what the pawprint spots are, but not quite sure of the arrowhead. She's really pretty.

Seems when you really get them side by side or at least close to it, the differences are obvious rather then looking at one picture at a time. I really do see why people get them mixed up easily

Nial, for the tail - its supposed to be a little shorter and thicker and more rounded on the end for Bengals? Charlie's tail is nice and long and tapered at the end.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bengals are supposed to have short thick tails with a blunt end. Basically whenever in doubt about bengals, go look at an ALC. The asian leopard cats have short thick spotted tails.

As for the arrowhead rosettas. They're basically just triangular spots, pointing away from the head of the cat. If they're rosettas rather than a solid colour they'll be two toned and paler farther away from the point of the triangle "arrowhead". Nikita has a few. I circled one of them on this picture so you can really easily see where it is.

You can see on Nials stunning kitten, Tuscany, that a fair few of her spots are not round but triangular in shape. Also the lack of a rib bar is absolutely fantastic.

Nikita has a rib bar on that side which is easily visible in that photo.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So does anyone have any thoughts on my boy Simba? Is he a good example of a decent Bengal or is he not so good?

[/

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope, I think Simba is decent, he's got the desired spots on his tail too

Do you know what makes him pet quality, apart from his ears or is that it?

I'd love to see more photos.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Simbas eyes, to me, are the most striking thing about him that says "Bengal". His eyes are wild!

More pics please!?!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think Simba is pet quality, because that is how they sold him to me. His ears are too long, although he has grown into them a bit more, but still they're too long. He does have a few stripes on his rib area. His tummy was white, but it's darkened. He's also very small. He's only about 9 lbs which is pretty small for a Bengal.

I agree his eyes are his best Bengal quality. His eyes are breath-taking seriously, in person. He's the naughtiest Bengal I think of anyone's. He's is ALWAYS into mischief.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

He's the naughtiest Bengal I think of anyone's. He's is ALWAYS into mischief.
This is a common trait with Ocicats. They're known for their naughtiness (but they get that from their Aby genes), and Sadie is the Queen in that department.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to see more photos of Simba, I'm still learning about what makes a "good" bengal so I can't really comment too much about that, but I would never mistake him for any other breed. He looks like a Bengal (while a lot of the badly bred ones mostly just look like standard tabbies with a bit of spotting).

Nikita was also sold as pet quality to me. Nial mentioned it in another thread that basically when a breeder is doing their job properly (i.e breeding good cats) they'll sell a lot of kittens as pet quality even though there's nothing wrong with them per se because they want their show quality cats to be the ones that are winning shows rather than just doing ok, i.e coming in 3rd or 4th.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom

This is a common trait with Ocicats. They're known for their naughtiness (but they get that from their Aby genes), and Sadie is the Queen in that department.
HEY!!!! I resemble that Aby remark!!!

Actually, I think Oci's get their naughty genes from both Abys and the Siamese ... and Having ASH in the blood doesn't really help either!!!

I will one day have an Oci in the house, then I would be able to give a definitive answer as to which breed is naughtier!

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I have a siamese along with the two bengals, and they are the most innocent creatures on th... Bah, who am I kiddin'!!!

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

HEY!!!! I resemble that Aby remark!!!

Actually, I think Oci's get their naughty genes from both Abys and the Siamese ... and Having ASH in the blood doesn't really help either!!!

I will one day have an Oci in the house, then I would be able to give a definitive answer as to which breed is naughtier!
I thought you'd enjoy my comment!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Hey you'll have to have a Bengal as well to conclusively answer it!

Just for fun, here's Nikita's brand of madness:
She's gotten better at jumping since I took those video clips of her though.