Lemony-Fresh

rpandcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Somewhere north of Mexico and on the ocean.
Sigh.

I have to share this with someone. And as people of the cat, I believe you will understand.

The following story is why I'm not an advocate of certain cleaners--but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open...

So my cat has been vomiting a bit. I'm pretty sure it's because I've been switching (canned) food on her. It's obvious that, well, it's become a strain on her system. So I decided to stop.

However, this evening, I noticed a suspicious crusty substance.

Oh! I first have to say that I am currently staying with a relative for various reasons. And this house--it's a pretty cool house--just had the duct work re-done. The ducts apparently were not attached to the vents, and were smashed and dislodged in various places. These non-existent ducts explain why the heat never worked. So it was replaced. And it was expensive. And now, the heat works.

So the suspicious crusty substance is on the floor and on a baseboard. Ok. I've gotten a lot of cat vomit off things. And I'm like, this sucks. It's late. I'm going to bed and will check it out in the morning. I wake up in the middle of the night. I've been dreaming about a trash dumpster. The room smells like fishy cat vomit (it was the Weruva Lamb--which has tuna in it).

I look in the duct. And the very expensive new duct has cat vomit in it. And on the vent cover itself. There's nothing like when your cat decides to make her mark. If it was in my shoes, at least I could throw the shoes in the washer--or in the trash.

I start cleaning. I have to remove the vent, and stick my arm down it, and clean the stuff. At least, there's no spidery creatures down there (it's only been a couple of weeks). The cat-loaf has been sitting on the vent, and I was going to make something so that her loaf-ness would not be able to go on the vent... but didn't do it soon enough.

So I'm sticking my arm down the vent. The easy part is down the duct. The hard part is cleaning the metal vent thing itself. It's got crusty vomit on it. I mostly clean it with water, and take a sniff. Hmm.... fishy... And I'm thinking, maybe I should get out the alcohol.

Before I do that, I notice there is a container of those Clorox bleach wipes. I use them all the time in the kitchen. But not for weird cat substances. And proceed to wipe everything down with those things.

The smell is much better. I still think I'm going to have to go over everything with alcohol. Because there is the distinct smell of lemony-fresh fishy cat vomit in here....

Happy New Year everyone.

(and yes, I did cut my finger and bleed on the vent)

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
    i've been there and done that with cleaning up cat vomit in the middle of the night, but (thank goodness) not on, down a heat vent!

i use simple green cleaner. it's really good stuff. the smell of it actually isn't bad, compared to other cleaners. and it's a pretty safe (for cats) cleaner too -- i use it to clean/wash out the litter boxes, because simple green doesn't 'react' to pet urine/feces.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, poor you!

I had a similar experience a few years ago when one of my un-fixed male cats sprayed the front of a kerosene heater. He was only 7 months old at the time, but already very pungent. He was fixed soon after that, but every time I turned the heater on it would fill the room with essence of boy cat. 

I had to take the heater to bits and clean the whole thing with enzyme cleaner before I totally got rid of the smell.

Who says pet owners have dirty homes? I clean a lot more now than I ever did in my pre-cat days.