Leaving my kitty alone

soph

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am going for the weekend (2 nights only), and usually I have my friend come over and feed my kitty, give her some human attention. We are both away the same weekend, and I have no one else to come by. I've left her overnight before, but not usually more than one. I did get one of those self feeder things and she's got a huge water jug. I also bought her some more toys to occupy her time. She's got lots of windows to see out of and perch on and I leave a radio on so it's not completely silent. I also work full time during the week, so she is used to being alone for a few hours a day. I'm not worried that she will run out of food or water, and her litter won't get dirty in 2 nights. My biggest concern is that she will go a full day without having a human around (leaving Friday morning and coming back Sunday afternoon/early evening). Do you think this is OK? She doesn't ever over eat or binge herself to the point where she gets sick. 

They do have a boarding place here, but I almost feel like it might be more of a disruption to her to move her into a new setting for a short period of time, instead of just having her at home. Thoughts?

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No need for boarding, but I'd definitely arrange for a sitter to come by twice a day. If there is an emergency (touch wood that there isn't) -- like spilling the water jug or hurting a paw -- you'd want someone to catch it sooner rather than 2 nights later. Going almost 3 days without cleaning the litter box is just unacceptable, unless you have something like 5 boxes and your cat uses all of them.

Since you don't have anyone you know, look in your area for professional pet sitters. The key is just to have someone come check in on her and clean the box. Some sitters may charge less if it's a very short visit (for example, if kitty has plenty to entertain herself and can get by without a play session for two days).

Last edited:

shellyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think boarding your cat for 2 days would make her just as unhappy as leaving her alone for 2 days.  Ideally it would be best to have a pet sitter look in on her at least once a day.  You can find them - google, craigs list, etc. There are a lot of them out there now who make their living doing this.  But if you can't find one who fits in your budget - your cat will be ok.  That is why a lot of people own cats instead of dogs - they are more independent, self reliant and can be alone for longer periods of time.   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soph

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think boarding your cat for 2 days would make her just as unhappy as leaving her alone for 2 days.  Ideally it would be best to have a pet sitter look in on her at least once a day.  You can find them - google, craigs list, etc. There are a lot of them out there now who make their living doing this.  But if you can't find one who fits in your budget - your cat will be ok.  That is why a lot of people own cats instead of dogs - they are more independent, self reliant and can be alone for longer periods of time.   
Thx Shelly. I found someone to check in on her!

Last edited: