Leaving my cat for two weeks. I’m so scared

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is me just venting. I often come here for that. I am just so nervous. I’m leaving my cat for two week in a month and i am already suffering from separation anxiety. I look at him and I start to cry. Before I had my cat I would go to Italy every year since I was born. I haven’t gone in three years since I got him because I am afraid to leave him. But I need to visit my family and my grandparents and that time has come. I am nervous because I’m afraid he’s gonna think I’m dead or something and cry. He has mild asthma according to the vets but I never had to use an inhaler and never needed medication thankfully. I do have an emergency inhaler just in case though! Seen him cough twice since I had him and I’m home all day.

Anyway I am going to have my niece with him. I told her she must sleep at my apartment because her going there only twice a day is not enough for me. I need her to sleep there so he doesn’t feel alone. I really hope that’s enough. I’m scared he will stop eating because he misses me. I had a trial run once where I went away for the weekend and he did fine with her but never two weeks!! I’m nervous because she’s going to be working from 9 to 5 but I guess that’s normal for alot of people anyway. She also doesn’t have license. I mean what if she has to run to the hospital! I asked my neighbors if they are home to drive her. They said yes but damn I can’t stop thinking of things that will probably never happen. Knock on wood. Anyway congratulations for reading this far. I appreciate it. I’m just here to vent and if you guys have any experience in this please feel free spread the knowledge. Thanks!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We all understand this anxiety. You are not alone. It sounds like you have laid out plans for every possible problem. Show your niece all you can and make sure she has the vets phone number and instructed her on when and how to use the inhaler. An email or text number for the vet may help you feel a bit easier. Talk to the vet and let them know when you will be away and make sure they have any permission papers needed to give treatment, just in case. Honestly, I can’t think of much else you can do to be prepared. Have all foods on hand, treats etc. and maybe have a couple of new toys for your niece to pull out to make kitty excited to have her there. Let kitty know he is going to be in charge and to watch over your niece. Cats are very good about helping us out. Maybe you can call and talk to kitty during your trip? There are apps for phones that allow you to watch things at home while you are gone. I always feel the same way when I leave these kitties. I felt the same way when I first sent my daughter to school too. We all survived and my daughter loved school! These kitties do miss me but are really excited to see me when I return. Lots of extra snuggles. Oh, besides leaving new toys, I leave a piece of clothing with my scent in their beds. Lol Two toys I have found very comforting to my cats are a toy that has a heartbeat feature and one that purrs. For my nervous rescues, those have been huge favorites.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird pretty much summed up what I was gonna say. I have had the same feeling with my own cats as well and I know it's difficult. Back when I only had Morty we would go camping a few hours away for 5 days at a time and I had no one to watch him daily. My mom was able to come check on him every couple days but I was still so worried. He also had mild asthma, not enough to need an inhaler, but definitely something we worry about. What helped me a lot was buying a nanny-cam. I set it up by his food and water and was able to check in on him at any time, make sure he still had food/water and be sure he was doing okay. Sadly, now that we feed raw we've basically come to the conculsion that we can't really go anywhere for more than 10 hours (we moved pretty far away from family). Anyway, my point is that what you're feeling is completely natural and the best you can do is check in daily. Don't worry too much, I'm sure your niece will do a great job!

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can totally empathize with this. I went to visit family for a week at the end of May, and I was sooo nervous and anxious and sad to leave Susan for any amount of time. I left very detailed notes for her routine (play, feeding amounts, etc.), and my partner stayed and took care of her. She was totally fine (it almost felt insulting, I joke -- that I was extremely affected and emotional about it and she didn't seem to mind at all). Reuniting is a great feeling, although it took a few hours for her to fully warm up to me again.

I'm glad you'll have the opportunity to visit your family! The fact that your kitty gets to stay in their "home base" should provide them some good emotional security in your absence. :winkcat:

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you thought about setting up a kitty cam? That way you can check in on him.

also, you can leave dirty clothes around for him to lay on. Maybe cat music or videos? David Teie makes music that is designed for cat ears. Youtube Has a bunch of videos to entertain cats.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That you have your niece sitting for them at home is the best way. Cats do better at home than boarded.

I have gone to Europe a couple times for 10 days or so and had a sitter. The cats do just fine and it's almost as if I never left when I come back. Yours will do as well, I'm certain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the lovely responses!!! I feel a bit better…for those who asked I had a pet cam for a long time. I’m a paranoid cat dad lol. Also I guess you guys are right. It’s not like I’m boarding him. Thankfully I have the luxury of having someone take care of him at his home base. Not only that but she will be sleeping there watching over him. Thanks all.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just came back for a 5 week long road trip with my kids ... my husband was in charge of the cat room ... he only went upstairs twice a day ( we have 5 cats ... they are not lonely) and they were completely fine. When we came back they immediately recognized us and were happy to see us ... I have a camera in my cat room for fun and checked in on the cats while on vacation ... it was nice to be able to see them ... The cats however were business as usual while we were gone ...