Leaving 4 Months Old Kitten Home Alone For 9 Hrs

parbatikitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 4 months old kitten whom i adopted 35 days ago from a shelter. Till now I was doing part time job from home and just now I got a very good job offer for six months outside of state. I cannot take my kitten with me as i will be sharing rooms with roommates and they don't allow pets, its company's temporary accomodation. My husband will be here to take care of the kitten but he is gone 5 days a week for 9 hours. I am really worried that my kitten will have to stay alone for that long. Even if i am out for 2 hrs when i come back he comes and sits in my lap and purs. Whenever my husband comes home from work kitten goes to the door to welcome him and doesn't leave him for some time. Husband loves kitten as well and plays with him everyday. He has become very attached to us and spoiled too. Is it ok leaving the kitten alone for 9-10 hrs a day? We have a fren who lives right across the door, should i ask him to check on the kitten frequently?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
9 hours is not too long for a kitten to be alone. When I got my first kitten I was working 12-hour shifts with an hour drive on each end, so was away from home 14 hours at a time. I suspect kitty slept most of the time. She certainly was wide awake and wanting to play when I was home.

Just make sure he has access to food, water, litter box, and a place to sleep. Do you have a way to close off part of the house so he would be limited to 1 or 2 rooms while he's alone? Or at least close him out of room with dangerous things like computer cords and cables.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How soon do you have to leave the state?

My major concern with having the friend come in to check on the kitten during the day is that you've had him for such a short time; you've only just had time to establish your bond with him. I wouldn't want anything to interfere with that, like the kitten deciding that the person who visits him in the middle of the day loves him more than you do.

GoldyCat GoldyCat is correct; cats spend 16 (or more) hours a day sleeping, and they really don't care who is where doing what while they're napping (which is not to say that they won't be instantly awake the moment they hear a can being opened :biggrin:).

Before you go, find a tee-shirt that you aren't planning to take with you and wear it while you do something vigorous enough to make you sweat. Then put that tee-shirt in the kitten's bed, without washing it first, so the kitten will continue to have your scent while you're gone; it should comfort the kitten over your absence -- make him feel less deserted -- and make your reunion a bit easier at the end of the 6 months. And when you call home, get your husband to put the phone on speaker so your kitten can hear you talk to him; my husband did that with Pretzel when I was out of town for a couple of months and she would purr into the phone.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

parbatikitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your replies Margret and Goldycat. Margret Margret i never thought about loosing the bond . I have three more weeks with him and i am planning to visit atleast twice a month during weekend. I sure will use your sweaty tshirt idea . GoldyCat GoldyCat i am planning to keep him in our bedroom with all of his supplies while husband is at work.