Learning New Cats Interesting Behaviors

stephanie junca

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I have mostly been posting in the Crossing the Bridge board because I lost my cat of 18 years recently. But, last weekend I ended up adopting two cats who needed a home because their previous pet mom went into hospice unfortunately.

These cats are 6 years old. One who is a Maine Coon that we call Spock. He is a male. And the other who is a pretty tortie who we call Luna. She is a female.

Spock seems as though he is used to getting about 90% of the attention. I think it's mostly because he needs to be brushed at least once a day. He sheds like crazy. I ended up buying a Furminator because the hair tumble weeds are getting out of control. I notice that if I don't use it every day that I will find tufts of hair around the house still. Have to get into a routine with him.

Spock was a little scared the first night and hid behind the fridge but then came out and spent all night with me and my fiance. What a lap cat.

Luna on the other hand seems to be an anxious kitty unfortunately. She hid under my couch for a few days. We barely saw her at first. I would try and lure her out with food which she would come to take a few bites and then go back to hiding.

After probably the third or fourth day, she started to stay out with me the majority of the time and now seeks me out for pets which is a delight. She however does not like being picked up. I have tried a few times and once she feels my hands around her she quickly runs away.

Odd quirks I have noticed is that if I am giving Luna attention, Spock will come over and demand pets from me. He has even given be some light bites on ny hands when I am petting Luna. I am not sure that is a good thing. But, I have started making sure that when I am brushing Spock that I am petting Luna as well interchangeably just so that they both start to learn that I don't prefer one over the other.

I also notice that Spock tries to eat all the food while Luna doesn't eat too much. Again, I try to get them to come and eat at the same time but Luna seems to lose interest quickly. I do find it funny when she does eat because she will try to cover her food afterward. I have heard of this behavior in cats but have never seen it before until now. Find it so funny.

And lastly, I think Spock has separation anxiety. If I go to the bathroom he will paw at the door and yowl until I come out. I also am not allowing them in my bedroom so when I go to bed he paws and yowls for a while. I have put a baby gate in front of my door at night so he won't paw at the door directly. He was previously declawed so he doesn't cause damage.

I am not exactly sure what to do with Luna not eating as much. I feel like she may be losing some weight. And the whole Spock giving some nibbles for attention and yowling, I feel like are behaviors I need to correct but not sure how exactly.

My previous cat was such a sweetheart. I think I am used to her ways so it might take me time to get used to these new kitties.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you lost your beloved cat recently. Thank you for adopting Spock and Luna. They are lucky to have you looking after them!

Can you feed Luna while you're brushing Spock so that he's occupied and won't steal her food?

My beloved kitty Gwen, who died last year, also demanded to be let into the bathroom when I was in there. She liked the attention, and I just caved and let her in, so I don't have any good advice on how to discourage that behavior! I think a lot of members on this board have cats who enjoy bathroom time with their humans. Maybe Spock's previous owner also allowed it? Cats generally hate closed doors, especially if they're used to having full access to their space. So it's probably not 'separation anxiety' so much as him needing to get used to new boundaries.

If you have some pictures of your new kitties, please share, both here and on the photo forums.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanie junca

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you lost your beloved cat recently. Thank you for adopting Spock and Luna. They are lucky to have you looking after them!

Can you feed Luna while you're brushing Spock so that he's occupied and won't steal her food?

My beloved kitty Gwen, who died last year, also demanded to be let into the bathroom when I was in there. She liked the attention, and I just caved and let her in, so I don't have any good advice on how to discourage that behavior! I think a lot of members on this board have cats who enjoy bathroom time with their humans. Maybe Spock's previous owner also allowed it? Cats generally hate closed doors, especially if they're used to having full access to their space. So it's probably not 'separation anxiety' so much as him needing to get used to new boundaries.

If you have some pictures of your new kitties, please share, both here and on the photo forums.
Yeah, I actually used to let my previous kitty use the bathroom with me. She was funny and would use the box at the same time as me. It was right next to the toilet haha.

I guess with these new kitties I'm still getting used to them so I feel weird using the bathroom in front of them hahah... Silly I know.

I am taking them both to the vet tomorrow for the first time so I'll see if they have any suggestions for food too.

As for kitty pics... Here are a few.

This pic is interesting to me. Behind them is my old cat's ashes in the urn I got from the crematorium. Spock especially loves hanging out by them on the coffee table.