Laying in litter box but peeing normally

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat, neutered 1.5 years old, has a history of laying in litter box. Not often but more so lately. He always pees a good amount so I never had him checked for urinary problems. Latest episode, he went in, looked like he was about to go pee, didn't. Tried again, didn't. Laid down for 2 minutes and then went poop. Somewhat liquidy. Maybe upset tummy? But then what about all the other times when his poop was normal and good amount of pee?
His daily diet is 5.5oz of wet with about 4oz of added water and a tad more of a 1/4 cup of dry. So he gets plenty of water in my opinion.
Luckily my vet is open tomorrow so I'll be scheduling an appointment. Just wanted some thoughts on this

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My boy sometimes does this. He'll dig and meow and then lay down in the litterbox for awhile then he'll get up sand start digging again and this time at another spot but he'll end up the at the first spot he dug to pee and if for poop, he'll dig around the box till he's satisfied then he'll poop.

Think it's somewhat a habit or maybe not the right time yet and so he'll lay down for awhile then get up to do his business. Both pee and poo are normal.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When one of ours did this it was because he was anemic from fleas. His gums were white. We were fairly new to cats and had no idea that this could happen or that the fleas were that bad in the house, they weren't biting us. The vet said sometimes when they aren't feeling well, being right there with the strongest place of their scent is comforting to them.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a urinary tract infection. Barring a medical issue cats will lay in their litter box for security to ease anxiety. It’s an odd place for security but the familiar smell seems to be it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boy sometimes does this. He'll dig and meow and then lay down in the litterbox for awhile then he'll get up sand start digging again and this time at another spot but he'll end up the at the first spot he dug to pee and if for poop, he'll dig around the box till he's satisfied then he'll poop.

Think it's somewhat a habit or maybe not the right time yet and so he'll lay down for awhile then get up to do his business. Both pee and poo are normal.
He is a digger when it comes to pooping too. He has to find the perfect while im here just like, omg just go!. So I agree with it just being a habit. But I'm already paranoid with urinary issues. I even have cams facing the litter boxes since I have 2 cats to make sure both are going normally 😅

I am a little confused. When did he last urinate?
520pm. Poop was at 10pm

When one of ours did this it was because he was anemic from fleas. His gums were white. We were fairly new to cats and had no idea that this could happen or that the fleas were that bad in the house, they weren't biting us. The vet said sometimes when they aren't feeling well, being right there with the strongest place of their scent is comforting to them.
I'll have to check for fleas. I doubt it as my cats get a monthly dose of flea treatment

Sounds like a urinary tract infection. Barring a medical issue cats will lay in their litter box for security to ease anxiety. It’s an odd place for security but the familiar smell seems to be it.

He's been doing this forever though

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he always pees and poops successfully after waiting, then maybe his bowel movements are too slow and he'd benefit from meds.

But if sometimes he lies there unproductively, I'd say it's a cause for alarm. Could be an infection, could be worse, but you say he's been doing it forever, so I think an infection is the worst you can expect.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He is a digger when it comes to pooping too. He has to find the perfect while im here just like, omg just go!. So I agree with it just being a habit. But I'm already paranoid with urinary issues. I even have cams facing the litter boxes since I have 2 cats to make sure both are going normally 😅
My boy ia a digger too. He digs all the way to China :lol:

Just to make sure your cats are not facing any urinary issues, hear them pee. If they pee with a gushing sound, they are good to go.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He has an appt on June 1st. Hopefully it's nothing

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Appointment is 6 days away. Since this thread, he has done it 1 more time. Before going poop just like the time before that. Poop was normal. I'm questioning if I should still take him. Eating and playing normally. Like another person mentioned, their cat also does this. So maybe it's nothing medically.

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
They'll likely tell you to bring his poop and liquid. So if he goes to toilet right before the appointment, you could collect whatever he gives you beforehand. Typically you have to collect it within 2 hours before testing and no earlier.

If he's done it only once during last week, you probably have nothing to worry about. But I'm no vet. And I suspect he could still benefit from meds that improve bowel movement. Besides, it can be a little painful for him. Human doctors can tell if there's a problem like this by touch, vets should be able to do that for a cat, too, I hope. Although if it's not severe they'll probably be unable to tell by touch and will rely on the information you provide them.