Laundry Detergent

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tonight when I got home, I went to start a load of laundry. As I was pouring the laundry detergent (regular Tide liquid detergent), some spilled out and my cat happened to be standing right underneath. It wasn't very much - maybe a couple drops.

I chased her down right away, but she did manage to lick some of it off her face. I think I've managed to wash the rest off, with lots of water and a dish towel. I didn't give her a full bath because I was afraid that if I drenched her in water, any remaining detergent residue could get into her eyes or mouth. I felt her fur afterward and couldn't feel any detergent residue at all, so I don't think there's any left in her fur.

I called the local emergency vet right after, and they said to just keep an eye out for vomiting/diarrhea. Then I called the ASPCA's Pet Poison Control Helpline, and they told me basically what I've read online... that detergent can cause skin burns, and that if she's wheezing or vomits I should take her to the vet. The poison control helpline also told me to give her milk, water, or at least food, to help settle her stomach. I don't have any milk, and she didn't want water, but she did eat some treats and her dinner.

She seems fine for now. But I'll be watching her like a hawk tonight, for sure. If she develops any symptoms, I'll take her to the emergency vet. If not, I'll still call my regular vet in the morning to see what they say.

I'm just really worried. I'm reading horror stories online about cats who lost their fur, or who died a few days later because the detergent affected their airways. And I'm so angry at myself. :(:(:(:( I should've been more careful.

Has anyone else's cat gotten into laundry detergent before? Or do you have any advice?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't panic.

You've done everything you can and at this point it's a waiting game. Most of the cats who have serious reactions will have it within an hour of exposure. Keep offering her food to keep her tummy full while it passes through her system and keep an eye on her.

Accidents do happen, we can do our best to prevent them but sometimes all we can manage is how we handle the aftermath. You have done amazing and done everything you can at this point. Take a deep breath and give yourself a break. I am sure everything will be okay and I know you will be on your way to the emergency vet at the slightest sigh of trouble.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you have had this happen. Honestly im not sure a few drops would hurt her. Just so you washed her well, im thinking she will be ok. Watch her, as they said for vomiting or diarrhea. And call your vet tomorrow to see what they say. Best of luck, and keep us updated. Try not to stress too much, and don't beat yourself up over it. As much as we hate it accidents do happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: She seems fine! She was licking her lips a bit last night, but she's been normal today. Just her usual spoiled, feisty self. :hearthrob: I'm still keeping an eye on her. But I think she's okay.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll just share a personal story..........

It goes back some 45 years when my first cat ingested what was probably just a few grains of a powdered household cleaner. I suspected that she had 'simply' licked it off her paws......she became very ill and her recovery was long and difficult.

To this very day, it is an utter obsession with me that none of my cats ever go near the laundry room.....it's an absolute no-fly zone for them! (I cringe when I see pics of kitties in and around washers/dryers!)

No, don't beat yourself up.....but, do remember !

Now, on a happier note......Samantha went on to see her 20th birthday!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll just share a personal story..........

It goes back some 45 years when my first cat ingested what was probably just a few grains of a powdered household cleaner. I suspected that she had 'simply' licked it off her paws......she became very ill and her recovery was long and difficult.

To this very day, it is an utter obsession with me that none of my cats ever go near the laundry room.....it's an absolute no-fly zone for them! (I cringe when I see pics of kitties in and around washers/dryers!)

No, don't beat yourself up.....but, do remember !

Now, on a happier note......Samantha went on to see her 20th birthday!
Yikes! I'm sorry to hear that.

Before this happened yesterday, I had no idea how deadly laundry detergent could be. I'm seeing horror stories from other pet owners on the Internet.

Did Samantha show symptoms right away after ingesting the cleaner?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember, this occurred a very long time ago. I do not recall her becoming violently ill, rather it was a drastic change in her behaviour marked by lethargy and inappetence that caused us to take her to the Vet. It was after she was examined and blood lab tests done that it was determined she had ingested some kind of toxin. It was the Vet who then told us the kinds of things that would have caused this. He sent us home to 'play detectives', re-enact the previous days' activities and determine probable scenarios and culprits. We did, and the only possible cause would have come from the cleanser - there was no other.

Now, there are all sorts of cleaners/detergents...probably some more toxic than others, and so, different reactions to be expected, I would think.

My only point was to try and make an 'indelible mark' with you.