last chance for round one raw

dooney2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am about at my wit's end -- and a very real deadline -- in trying to transition a 10-year-old cat to Dr. Lisa Pierson's raw food diet from a no-grain canned variety. We started about 3 months ago when 4-year-old New Kitty joined us. She was already on Dr. Pierson's recipe, so I decided to try to move Big Boy there as well. He eats it, but just not very much. He's gone from 16 to 14 lbs in that time and is eating only maybe 1/4 cup of food per day. He was never fat, just big, and now isn't emaciated, but definitely has a thinner silhouette. Aside from the low food intake, he seems his normal self, and he and New Kitty play together almost every day. 

New Kitty came from a household where she was #3 of 3 cats and thus became a very fast eater in self-defense. So she's usually done and trying to nose him out of his bowl when he's still getting started. He is standing his ground better so I don't think her pushiness is the main issue. I looks like he just gets bored with his food. We've tried picking it up and putting it down a little later, and sometimes he'll eat more then, but that's not practical in the long run -- and especially not with the cat sitter who can't be here all day waiting for him to eat! 

Ideally, I would just try to stick it out and experiment with different ways of making it yummy for him. (Forta Flora doesn't quite do the trick.) But I'm up against a hard deadline: We're leaving on a 3-week trip soon, so I need his eating habits to be stable so the cat sitter can have care without worries. 

So, I'm thinking of keeping New Kitty on the raw diet but transitioning Big Boy back to a good high-protein low-carb canned food. (I can always give the Dr. P diet another try after we get back.) But before I give up for now, does anyone have any suggestions for making it tastier, easier to eat, etc.? 

Thanks. And thanks from my handsome Big Boy: 

geely

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow he is a beautiful tabby.  He reminds me of my cat some. 

You could try crumbling some freeze dried snacks on top. I use this brand http://www.naturalpetwarehouse.com/Northwest-Naturals-Chicken-Liver-Freeze-Dried-Dog-Treats    It is actually a dog treat so its kind of big pieces but it crumbles really easily. I use them for what i guess you call training treats too, or whatever you would call it to give them exercise. I just cut them in pieces. I have tried a few brands and for some reason he just loves these and there a few things I feed him that he is not that excited about so sometimes i will crumble these on top and push it a little in the food and that works.

I have read on here some people use Bonita flakes and say they work really well, but i have never tried them. hope that helps.

zunxin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, have you tried sprinkling some fortiflora on kitty's meals?

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had very good luck with bonito flakes (dried and shaved tuna). I buy them at an Asian market. They look similar to this:

I usually sprinkle a little into my hand, and kitty licks it off. Then I lead him to his food dish and sprinkle some on top of his food. He licks it off (avoiding the food). Then I sprinkle a little again, but mix it into the food this time. It does the trick. He eats the food. The flakes are very fine, so the total amount I end up using is about a teaspoon.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO the trick to get picky cats to eat raw is to crumble up treats they love on top. My picky boy goes bananas for Orijen duck dog treats. So find whatever treats he loves and crumble those on top to entice him to eat.