Large Swelling In Upper Chest Area On A 4mo Old Rescue.

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all.

I was having a difficult time trying to pin this down with my internet searches so I figured I'd post here and see if any of you might recognize these symptoms and help me get onto a right track for diagnosis. I unfortunately do not have access to a vet until next Wednesday (6 days from this writing) but I have a feeling this may need to be addressed sooner than that.
I have a smallish (small for his litter) app. 4-5mo. old kitten rescue that has a rather massive lump across his left upper chest and into his left armpit. The diameter is app. the size of a baseball and it protrudes out about an inch and a half or so. It feels like a large semi-rigid muscule (like if someone was flexing their pectoral muscle). The kitten has lost weight since I got him about 5 days ago and his back vertebrae are showing. The litter mates (3) are perfectly healthy.
My research so far has unearthed many different possibilities, none of them good. I've seen cancer, leukemia, FIP, as well as a host of other diseases that share similar symptoms. After researching, it seems plausible that the lump is fluid buildup. He is not coughing or wheezing so I would guess that rules out leukemia. He has lost weight but I do not know if he's necessarily showing signs of lethargy or not because he's still feral and hides (thus not moving) whenever I'm near.
Does any of this ring a bell with anyone? I'd hate it if this guy is done for so early in his life. Many of the diseases I've seen are incureable and/or fatal. At least one (FIP) is contagious so I'm additionally worried about his litter mates (who are currently housed with him in my bathroom while I tame them).
Any suggestions and thoughts are appreciated.

-Art

*** you can see part of the lump in the 2nd pic below (very center of pic just behind and above his elbow)

20170913_011407.jpg
20170913_011549.jpg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Geeez catman925, any swell as big as this is without doubt is to bring him to the vet. It's no use guessing what's it is but only for the vet to examine is the safest.

On top of that, he's lethargic and lost weight, my suggestion is please bring him to the vet ASAP

Do keep us posted of the findings :wink:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't mess around with anything near the chest. It could be something wrong with his joint to an abscess to who knows what. To me, this is an emergency and he needs to get to the vet immediately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah my thoughts exactly on getting him in asap. a development since my last writing. it busted open. has some puss and a little blood but not much of either. size hasn't diminished. not sure if this rules out fluid accumulation.

will update as things develop but I agree, a vet visit is needed.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor little guy. Do please let us know what happens at the vet.