L-Theanine results?

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Has anyone here had positive results using L-Theanine for a cat who gets aggressive at vet exams?

I’ve seen it recommended for cats with long-term behavioral problems, but outside of the vet exams, my cat doesn’t need to take calming supplements. So really am looking for something temporary to make him manageable for doctors without harsh medications. He has chronic kidney disease, which is why I’m looking for an alternative to Gabapentin, Trazodone or Acepromazine which are all hard on the kidneys. Acepromazine also is a tranquilizer that would make him aware of everything happening, but unable to move or react to it, which I don’t want to put him through. Imagine how terrifying that would be for a human to go through where at least you could explain to them what's happening.

We have tried Feliway, Rescue Remedy, eating catnip, all of which did nothing to calm him at the clinics (he's calm until we arrive there). During a holistic cat conference, L-Theanine was discussed but I can’t seem to find success stories about it. If it doesn’t seem to work for cats that are fractious at medical exams, I may have to return to the Gabapentin, which would really like to not have to do—the number of yearly vet visits has increased in order to manage his disease, thus increasing the amount of yearly sedative he would need to take. Since his CKD diagnosis, the Gabapentin has caused tremors and takes a long time for his kidneys to filter out of his system. His doctors haven't been in favor of me lowering his dose of it because then it's not enough to make him compliant for a full exam. I want to do what's best for him, so really hope L-Theanine has some good success stories.

Thanks in advance for any shared experiences.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I used tablets containing L-Theanine in the attempt to calm a slightly aggressive cat down a little, but personally I had zero results.
Furthermore, those tablets had to be used for a long time before I could even see any effects. After about 6 weeks I saw nothing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I used tablets containing L-Theanine in the attempt to calm a slightly aggressive cat down a little, but personally I had zero results.
Furthermore, those tablets had to be used for a long time before I could even see any effects. After about 6 weeks I saw nothing.

Thanks for sharing this--it's what I'm concerned about, giving him the supplement for 2 months then the possibility of no results.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm sure that someone had or is having positive results, or they wouldn't have been selling it for so a long time.
There are cats that simply do not respond to it, like my case.

She a two months kitten that I adopted, but she was slightly aggressive towards me, she would get startled by anything and was way too hyperactive. She would pee in the house.
I tried with Anxitane S, Feliway, Australian Flowers, Music for Cats, etc.
Nothing worked. I had to re-home the cat and she's fine since.