Knew This Day Was Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Loki has been battling kidney and liver issues for a few years now.

Lately, he’s been slowly losing the use of his back legs. He quit jumping up on the bed (but still made it onto the couch and chair), and struggled up and down the stairs. The last day or so, he’s not gotten up on the couch or chair, and has refused to walk the stairs. He was still eating, but peeing and pooping outside the box.

Today he is not staying upright at all. I put him outside for a few minutes and he peed laying down. I carried him upstairs to eat, but he did not seem interested.

This is tough. He’s the last of a litter born into our family 19 years ago, and he bonded to me from the beginning. I was hoping he’d make it to his 19th birthday in just a couple weeks, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. 😔

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the thoughts, but his values a year ago were already high. We honestly did not expect him to hang in for as long as he has. He is already maxed on Milk Thistle (silymarin) and Niacinamide. I’m giving him a little appetite booster and pain meds. At this point there is not much more we can do. Anything more would just be prolonging the inevitable.

He did finally decide to eat; took an hour to get through about 75%, which is better than expected. Then he actually made it down the stairs on his own. So, today may not be the day, but I also know I shouldn’t wait much longer.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess the only way I have known how to better weigh the options is when the relapses are much longer and outweigh the rebounds, which become shorter and shorter. You know about rebounds and relapses, I am sure. There is no easy answer any way you look at it.

My heart goes out to you. 19 years is a very respectable life for a cat, but that doesn't make it any easier. Feeby's life span, who is nearly 18+yo (don't know her exact birthdate), doesn't make any difference when it comes to knowing I will lose her. Sometimes, and I hate to say this, when they get to be this age, and they are so much a part of our lives, it makes it all the harder.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
So, today may not be the day, but I also know I shouldn’t wait much longer.
I'm so deeply sorry, this is the most difficult part of sharing your life with a much adored pet. :hugs: Every time we have had to make the decision my husband says he can't go through this anymore but then somehow another little furry friends finds it's way to our house. Thinking of you and sending special thoughts to both Loki and you.:vibes::vibes::vibes:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is the day

I had made an appointment for next Tuesday because I was hoping to have my vet, who we have a 20 year history with, do it. There’s been a lot of turnaround the last couple years, a lot of new people that don‘t know us. But both the vet and the long time tech are out on vacation, and won’t be back until next week.

Unfortunately, Loki can’t hold out for another week.
Last night he could barely stand or walk. This morning, he walked a little outside, but peed laying down. He hasn’t pooped in a couple days.

So I made the call this morning, we’ll be going in this afternoon. 🌈

73BE0E73-D6DE-4575-84E1-1F2B9B4547B5.jpeg

lunasu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm really deeply sorry about Loki. Tears dripped down my face when I'm typing.
Both of you tried very hard to stay together for each other, I think that is the most important thing.
You are always there for each other.
I'm terribly sorry that you have to let go.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My heartfelt sympathies go out to you. :hugs: I'm sorry your vet and longtime tech could not be there but you did what was best for Loki as much as it hurts. He was such a handsome boy, thank you for posting his pic. He is at the Rainbow Bridge now and no longer in pain.:rbheart:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the kind condolences.

Loki earned his name fair and square since he was a kitten. He was also known as ”Butthead”, and in true butthead fashion, as we were spending our last moments with him, he head-butted me then nipped my arm, leaving a little mark. 🤦‍♀️
Still, he went gently in my lap, resting his head against my chest. ❤

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry. I have had trouble commenting on this, as I know all too soon this will be the destiny of Feeby. I will try to take consolation in your memories/experiences, as they apply to so many of us. I was also so moved by your pic of Loki, so sweet and serene. I just want you to know what you already know; you are not alone. :hugs:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
It's the hardest call we have to make. I hope the best for your family, and may your love for loki get you through the grief.
It is
They just don’t have the lifespan that we might wish for.
Loki is the seventh that we’ve been through this with. Lifespans have been from 11 to 21 years. Loki hung in there longer than expected after his kidney diagnosis, and I’m grateful for that. ❤

Status
Not open for further replies.