Kitty wont eat on her own.

Shenaaz clarke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please can anyone assist. My persian cat had 5 kittens. 2 died .1 was stillborn and the other one died after 2 days. Anyhow I now have 3 6 week old kittens. Absolutely adorable. Very energetic except one of them refuses to eat on it's own. It screams when its hungry and I syringe feed it .I'm feeding her royal canin mother and babycat mousse. Should I be concerned. Shes very energetic and playfull .shes potty trained. She just won't eat on her own. She is also smaller than the other 2. I'm so concerned as everyone says she should be eating on her own. Advice please.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shenaaz clarke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She does but mom is feeding them less now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Six weeks is very young, and she sounds like she is the runt. Kittens normally wean to eating on their own between 6-8 weeks. Continue syringe feeding for another week or two. By then she should be ready to transition. :)

Shenaaz clarke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Six weeks is very young, and she sounds like she is the runt. Kittens normally wean to eating on their own between 6-8 weeks. Continue syringe feeding for another week or two. By then she should be ready to transition. :)
Thank you. Really appreciated.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Often times there will be 1 kitten who just isn't ready to transition and will hold out. Being the smallest and still so young I wouldn't be too worried, it's not convenient for you, I know, but best for the baby. If by 8 weeks this is still going on, you will need to do the tough love way and hold out so she has no choice. She will not starve herself. But she is too young/small for that just yet. By 8 weeks she will have more of a reserve in her system in case she is stubborn and holds out for several hours. She should not go without eating more than about 6 hours, and she won't.

Shenaaz clarke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Often times there will be 1 kitten who just isn't ready to transition and will hold out. Being the smallest and still so young I wouldn't be too worried, it's not convenient for you, I know, but best for the baby. If by 8 weeks this is still going on, you will need to do the tough love way and hold out so she has no choice. She will not starve herself. But she is too young/small for that just yet. By 8 weeks she will have more of a reserve in her system in case she is stubborn and holds out for several hours. She should not go without eating more than about 6 hours, and she won't.
An update on Macy grey is that shes 8 weeks old now and eating more than both her siblings. Shes going really well and catching up. Love to all and thanks for the advice.🥰