Kitty Vet In Or Near Dallas?

shiaena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!

Its been a bit since I've been here and I've come with more questions about my sick little kitty (I swear she worries me to death).
So I've taken both her and my new kitten Kali to this vet where I've been taking Espa a couple times before for the same reason, heres where we stand now with Espa and her continuous hairball-like-coughing-fits-with-no-hairball:
Gave URI (upper respiratory) tests: Nothing found
Did heartworm tests: Nothing found
Stool samples: Nothing found
Xrays, heres where it gets interesting. Nothing was found in the heart which was good. She showed signs of a slight infection in her lungs like an upper respiratory that was never cured (which is odd since the URI tests were negative). Also, her liver and kidneys looked just a tad odd but that could just be something from her developmental stage and nothing to worry about. Now, mind you, we NEVER saw the xrays ourselves, this is all from the vet's mouth.
He gave us antibiotics and antivirals or something for Espa, then medicine for Kali for her own little kitty cold. Sadly, just like the first time Espa was given antibiotics, nothing was fixed! Espa still coughs, every now and then but not every single day, sometimes multiple times in a single day.
Also, we noticed her coughing is rather random. Sometimes she'd be running, stops, cough fit. She'd be drinking and when she drinks a LOT of cool water (as opposed to the warm water that mom uses to defrost things that are frozen in containers or bags), she coughs when shes done. She could be cleaning herself, and she stops to cough. Or just laying and relaxing, and she starts coughing. I'm tempted to say its like when you swallow saliva and it goes down your airpipe instead, and afterwards it feels like you have phlem and a sore throat (almost exactly like that actually)

So long story short, tl;dr, our vet visit proved diddly squat and the vet bill was OUTRAGEOUS for just tests that proved nothing and we received no paperwork as proof except for the bill. (Literally nothing stating stats or negative/positive, or even xrays, NADA. Just vet talking and saying how it cant be asthma because her being under 5 years is TOO YOUNG FOR ASTHMA). So here are my questions cause I really need some opinions:

Is this normal for a vet?
Given the information, do any of you have experience or knowledge on what she may have?
Does anybody know a true, credible, reasonable vet who will provide me all the information I need and hopefully, HOPEFULLY figure out whats wrong with my furbaby? Preferrably around the dallas area, or even further east like Greenville, Sulphur springs or anything there.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
shiaena shiaena - I'm a couple thousand miles away, but my best Friend is an heart surgeon in Dallas. Just got off the phone with him, and his recommendation was for Dr. Lon Hays at Lover's Lane Animal Medical Center: 660 W. Lovers Lane Dallas, TX 75209 (214) 350-5696. Dr. Hays cares for both my Friend's cats as well as for his Mother's kitties, and I'd guess the recommendation of a veterinarian from a transplant surgeon might be well-considered.

As to asthma not affecting young cats, it's simply not the case; Cornell University Veterinary Medical School specifically notes that, "Young and old cats seem to be similarly predisposed to asthma..." -

Feline Asthma

Best of luck with Kali and Espa!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shiaena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'll be sure to check that vet out, I'm kind of desperate to figure out whats going on. And thank you for clearing up that asthma thing!