Kitty threw up N.V. raw for first time

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty threw up his Nature's Variety Raw duck about an hour after eating it.  He has eaten this many times, I've been rotating this, chicken, and beef.  He's never had problems with any of them, in fact, this is the first time he's ever thrown up at all.  This did happen to be a new bag, but my other kitty ate it too and is fine.  He seems completely normal, otherwise. Do you think it was just a fluke?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he's eaten it before without a problem, and your other kitty didn't have an issue, I'd say it's just ... one of those things. :dk: It may have had nothing at all to do with the duck. Hopefully it was just a one-time thing. :cross:

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're feeding a rotation of flavors, but are they all from Nature's Variety? If no, ignore the rest of this post.  ;-}   If yes, the bone content could be bothering your kitty's tummy, as it's over the recommended limit (15% versus 10% max). Your best bet in that case would be to start adding in flavors from other raw brands, or swapping out the NV for fresh whole meat for one meal a day (assuming you're feeding at least three meals a day).

Hope that helps!

AC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, LDG and AC!  Yes, as of right now I am feeding all N.V. raw, and they also get a little canned sometimes. I'd say they're on 75% raw.  I tried Primal as well, and they didn't like it too much.  I gave them a sample of Stella and Chewy's freeze dried and they did not like that either. So i"ve stuck with N.V. since it is readily available and they love it.  I was hoping the bone content wouldn't be too big an issue, since they are not eating that only.  And one kitty will eat chunks of meat if I add it, the other won't.  However, I did just order some Darwin's.  But that doesn't ship out til Tuesday, so I'm not expecting it til maybe next Friday.  The only other raw I have in the house at the moment is one medallion of chicken!  This morning I gave him half the chicken and half the duck, mixed up. I'm still waiting to see what happens. If the problem is the duck, then he'll just have to eat the other half of the chicken, and then just eat canned til tomorrow, because the store is closed today.

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update-- it's been about 2 hours now since he ate the chicken/duck mixture and has been fine.  So hopefully last night was just a one time thing.

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update-- it's been about 2 hours now since he ate the chicken/duck mixture and has been fine.  So hopefully last night was just a one time thing.
It could also be that since duck is a "fattier" meat (as compared to chicken) that that is what gave the upset tummy. Some kitties can tolerate a higher fat content meat than others. Just a little food for thought.

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
True--could be because I went directly to duck after he'd had chicken all week, although he has had the duck before, maybe it was just the change.  Usually he has no problem switching back and forth between proteins, but I guess there's a first time for everything! He had chicken/duck mixed again for dinner and has been fine.

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is great! It could also be that they changed their formulation a bit.

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]That is great![/color]  It could also be that they changed their formulation a bit.
Yeah, cause it was a new bag. Also, before, the duck I gave them was it "bites" form, these are the medallions.  You'd think they'd be the same, but......
  I guess there can always be small variations from batch to batch.

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He threw the duck up again this morning.  SOMEthing about this is obviously not agreeing with him, so I think I will get him another kind to eat until my Darwin's order arrives. I guess I'll continue giving the duck to my other cat, because he's had no problems at all.

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought him a small bag of the N.V. beef, and he's doing just fine.  My other kitty is also still doing fine eating the duck.  I can't wait for my Darwin's order to arrive, I hope they like it!  I also bought them a can of the Tiki Cat Sardines today, I plan to give them maybe once a week or so as a treat.