Kitty Struggles to Eat

musickitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! It's my maiden post here, and I'm curious as to how to help my kitty.

My kitty, Gracie, is a 6-8 year old who I took in this summer. She had to have 14 teeth taken out. I'm no expert in feline dentistry, but when Gracie yawns, the only teeth I can see are between her canines on both upper and lower jaws, and a few way in the back. 

She eats mainly pate wet food, but I've noticed that recently it seems that she can't eat the food as easily. I have to smush the pate up into a smoothie-like texture. 

She's been eating the smush easier, but is there anything else I can do to help her or make eating easier on her? 

Thanks!

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS.

Sounds like maybe just adding some water to her wet would work. Make it gravy like. This will allow her to just lap up her food.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some have suggested putting the food into a blender or a "Magic Bullet" type of appliance to liquify it more. I've heard it helps get rid of the meaty bits that are often left at the bottom of the bowl, but I have never tried it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Some have suggested putting the food into a blender or a "Magic Bullet" type of appliance to liquify it more. I've heard it helps get rid of the meaty bits that are often left at the bottom of the bowl, but I have never tried it.
This is what I do for my "licker".  I use a magic bullet.  First I empty the can of food into the magic bullet, then I rinse out the can into the magic bullet, so there is about 1/4 can of water in there as well.  Then I blend the  heck out of it so there is absolutely nothing that needs chewing (even when I am starting with a pate

)  Then, since she doesn't eat a full can in one sitting, I refrigerate it in the same container I use to blend it, and at the next meal I scoop out a big spoonful, and put it in the microwave on defrost for a few seconds until it starts to "melt".  Then I stir it all up and serve it up.  She licks it until its all gone, never having to chew anything