Kitty Pee

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had success collecting kitty urine at home? The vet gave us a half a baggie of little black plastic bead things. Not even enough to put a small layer on the little box. Our Greta is a 12 pound pretty big girl and her litter box is quite large. I went to the hobby stores as our vet directed to see if i could get more of these kinds of things but had very few packages. I was concerned that there wouldn't be enough and she wouldn't even try it and maybe even go outside the litter box because it was so different. I work so can't stay home all day to check the litter box, even if she would go in these plastic things. Had to drop her off at vet before work and hopefully she'll pee for them some time today. Does anyone have an easier way to do this? I'm sitting at work waiting for the "we got pee" call from the vet. My Greta looked so scared and didn't understand why mommy left her. Any ideas?

Attachments

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am in the same boat, was never successful. Usually they can get it at the vets by expressing the bladder, I am sure the cats don't appreciate that. They weren't successful once with Alice because her bladder was empty. I tried the marble type things in the litter box but no luck. That is too different from their normal litter.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Only one time was I successful in getting a urine sample by using those pellets. Feeby (15+ yo/16 pounds) was pretty sick, so that might be why. I put a 'back up' litter box nearby where she was hanging out and placed the crystals/pellets in it. No where near her normal box, but apparently she had to go. So, the minute I had set it up she used it. The pellets were just barely enough to line the bottom of the back up box, and yet she went anyway. Oddly enough, she peed and then left the box to go to her normal box to poop! She nearly rests on the side of her normal box when she pees standing up, so using a dish like Furballsmom Furballsmom has had success with, unfortunately, would never work for me.

I also have a very patient vet so he will check to see if he feels anything in anything in her bladder, and then gently 'squeeze' it out of her when she first sees him. If that doesn't work, he tries again later in the exam, and don't know why it works but he usually can get pee from her that way. Whatever he is doing, she doesn't seem to mind.

The one time I left her for nearly all day, they called me and said "No go". I was nearly in tears when I went to pick her up - and, guess what - my vet tried his little squeeze technique before I left - and Bingo!!

Not helping you any, but wondering if the vet ever tries to do the 'gentle squeeze' trick with your girl.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Has anyone had success collecting kitty urine at home?
I managed to collect my boy's pee once for test as he had UTI.

Getting all stuffs ready like the container to put the pee in, which I put it aside, I used a disposable spoon to collect his pee.

When my boy went into his litterbox, and as he prepare to squat to pee, I quickly place the disposable spoon beneath his bum to catch the pee while adjusting the spoon's position gently as not to touch him so that I can get a spoonful of pee.

You may fail to get the first time but the second time you should be able to gauge the direction of the pee.