Kitty now hides behind dryer and opens storage doors

firehawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Zoom, my almost 1 year old domestic short hair who I got when he was 4 months old, has decided randomly to sometimes hide under the dryer!

Also he now knows how to open our lower storage cabinet doors in the laundry area, same area as his litter.
He goes in there and... Does nothing or rips the kitchen towels we had in there.

Why is he starting to do this?
What can I tell cat mom to do so he is better behaved?

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats like to hide under things. There are many well adjusted cats that like to sleep under a bed. Opening cabinets and messing with stuff is a normal young cat thing as well. In law school I had a bed with drawers underneath and they would have a ton of fun gettig all my underwear out.

Most of this stuff doesn't normally last too long. And there are more vexxing habits like scratching furniture or climbing curtains. The only thing I dont super like about it is that if he is really hanging out around the dryer a lot, he might get the idea to go in there if you leave it open. So if its one of those front open ones, vs a top open, be extra careful there isn't a cat in there. And um, could the bottom get hot when its on? I guess any heating up would happen slowly enough that he could just leave.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firehawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you A ArtNJ
Its a top loading dryer and when it's not in use, he seems to go under it whenever.

He pulled out a thread from my sofa by scratching too. We cut the thread but still manages to somehow pull more of the thread out.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are lots of threads and maybe an article on how to stop scratching furniture. I clap my hands or make a loud "no!" which eventually works, usually and mostly. Also good to have a variety of scratchers since some cats like different kinds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firehawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. He doesn't scratch much of furniture but do have scratches dotted around the house that he sometimes uses... Not always though.

The chair u see him on.. He does scratch that more often and a firm no doesn't always work lol

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and a firm no doesn't always work lol
Yeah instead of "eventually" "usually" and "mostly" I could have chosen "sometimes" "maybe" and "if your lucky". Cat training is hard, and not for folks that have fancy furniture. We do generally, eventually, get cats trained. Our current cats we've got them where they dont scratch the furniture, but the basement carpet we have essentially given up. We aren't generally down there with them, they sleep there. So its a pretty impossible training task.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats are nosey little creatures.

Cat-proofing works best. She's smart, so she's taught herself a new trick by opening doors..you may want to try clicker or trick training for your cat!

Jackson Galaxy has some great ideas for stopping your cat scratching things. It does help, but your cat may never stop. A furniture cover may be best. I frequently use a sheet or fuzzy throw blanket for this.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He pulled out a thread from my sofa by scratching too. We cut the thread but still manages to somehow pull more of the thread out.
There are lots of threads and maybe an article on how to stop scratching furniture.
Here's the TCS articles the furniture scratching topic, in case they might be helpful.
How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture - TheCatSite Articles
23 Proven Ways To Stop A Cat From Scratching Furniture - TheCatSite Articles

As for for deciding to "randomly to sometimes hide under the dryer" and "open our lower storage cabinet doors in the laundry area", wonder if he's bored. If you think that might be the case, here's another TCS article that might be helpful.
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) - TheCatSite Articles

Zoom is a totally gorgeous cat, btw. He does look a little mischievous in that picture though. ;)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go to your local hardware store. You should be able to get locks for your cabinet and storage doors. If they are wood, hook and eye is the easiest. If they are plastic or metal ask the people at the hardware store. Sometimes you can buy kits for "new baby safety" these will have ways to secure doors. Just tell the people the cat is opening cabinets you don't want him to and you need help.