Kitty Is Having A Really Bad Reaction To Fleas

HaLo2FrEeEk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My poor baby has fleas. I'm thinking she must be resistant (or the fleas are) to the stuff I've been using. She's always been really susceptible to fleas and she breaks out and tears her skin up licking and scratching and biting. It doesn't help that a few weeks ago she knocked over a wax melter pot and quite a bit of it got on her fur, so she's been tearing that out in chunks too.

I would give her a bath, but it's not easy giving a cat a bath by yourself (at least not this one.) Any recommendations for flea medications? There's a link down below to the stuff I've been using. Also does anyone have any recommendations for topical ointments that I can put on her to relieve the itch? From googling it seems hydrocortisone and triple antibiotic are both safe, but I'd feel more comfortable putting a cone on her so she couldn't lick it off.

Anywho, this is the stuff I was using. It seems to work fine on the other kitty, but Prim still has fleas. Any suggestions would be awesome. And it'd be even awesomer if it was available on amazon :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have been using pet Armour, try switching to Advantage, you can get it at Walmart or online as well. honestly i prefer Walmart or a local pet store, i think its fresher than much you get on amazon. I use amazon for quite a bit, but i have found with cat food, and meds you often are getting OLD stuff.

I might also strongly suggest a vet visit. If she has had fleas she will most like need a broad spectrum anti worming medication. I would take her to the vet, they can medicate with something for the fleas, treat for worms, and also maybe help with her skin issues. With everything she has going on i think a vet visit would be safer, more helpful, and most likely less expensive in the long run than trying to treat her with over the counter.

And can you not use a comb or brush to get the wax out of her fur? Did she get burned? Bless her heart. :heartshape:

Vet visit is my suggestion, sounds like she is kind of miserable, a vet should be able to help her quite a bit. Do keep us updated, i will worry about the little girl.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OTC parasite preventives often don't work well and the effect may vary among cats. It may work for one cat but not another and some fleas may just be resistant. Be careful of what you buy online. There are are a lot of counterfeit products out there that look just like the real thing. Even real products may be expired or close to expiring. I bought pet toothpaste once that had expired a year earlier:cringe:

A vet will be able to prescribe a prescription product that works better than OTC ones. Revolution is a good one and there are others.

Do you definitely see fleas on your cat? Running a fine toothed comb through the fur, especially under the "arm pits" and belly area should snag some fleas.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Honestly, with a mess like wax in her fur, she might benefit from having the affected hair trimmed or even shaved. It can’t be good for her to be ingesting the stuff while trying to get clean.

With a flea allergy, I think you really need systemic steroids. Can you get your vet to prescribe her some prednisolone? It’s not expensive.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would take her to the vet for a grooming, bath and shaving, as well as a different flea med. You will also need to do frequent thorough vacuuming in your home to be rid of them. After you vacuum take the vacuum outside to remove the bag or empty the canister. When you make the appointment let the vet know about the fleas so they can take precautions to keep the clinic from being infested. The vet can give your cat a sedative if needed for the bath and shaving. They may also give something called Capstar, it doesn't kill the eggs but it kills the adults quickly which will give immediate relief.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HaLo2FrEeEk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! It seems the resounding opinion is that I should take her to the vet, which is sorta the way I was leaning myself. Historically I was always concerned at the cost of taking kitties to the vet, even when I had Care Credit to make it easier. Now I'm in a much better financial situation though...

At this point she's gotten all the wax out of her fur, the hard way, but it just left raw skin which she's constantly licking at. Her belly is pink and spotted from flea bites :( I have indeed seen the fleas on her, I picked one off last night even though I just applied a dose of topical medication to her a few nights ago.

Anywho, seems my mind is made up, I just have to make time to do it now. Usually I'd go on friday because I have those off, but I haven't had fridays off lately. Maybe monday before work...

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some vets will let you drop off in the morning and pick up in the afternoon

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! It seems the resounding opinion is that I should take her to the vet, which is sorta the way I was leaning myself. Historically I was always concerned at the cost of taking kitties to the vet, even when I had Care Credit to make it easier. Now I'm in a much better financial situation though...

At this point she's gotten all the wax out of her fur, the hard way, but it just left raw skin which she's constantly licking at. Her belly is pink and spotted from flea bites :( I have indeed seen the fleas on her, I picked one off last night even though I just applied a dose of topical medication to her a few nights ago.

Anywho, seems my mind is made up, I just have to make time to do it now. Usually I'd go on friday because I have those off, but I haven't had fridays off lately. Maybe monday before work...
I can tell you from first-hand experience about flea allergies. Shadow has flea allergies and last summer's fleas were really bad and even after getting rid of all the fleas I still ended up taking her to the vet because of the itchies around her neck and head. I improvised an e-collar for her to deter the scratching, but she was tearing herself up pretty good.

The vet might get your kitty on frontline gold, which I found out works faster than store bought frontline. A round of antibiotics may come into play if she has developed a skin infection from the allergic reaction and eventual scratching herself raw. Thankfully you may also get prednisolone, which really helps with the itching.

Be mindful after the fleas have been cleared up and she's no longer scratching herself up. I'm still dealing with residual scratching and skin issues with Shadow, I'm starting to lean on the theory that the flea allergy triggered other allergies in her because she's never had problems before the fleas.....of course this is still theoretical.

Best of luck, let us know how she's doing after her vet visit.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend a vet visit. First, there is a good chance that the hot wax may have given her first or second degree burns. Second, she will need deworming after having fleas. Plus, they may be able to do something for her skin irritation.

Plus, you need to de-flea your home. You might check the big box hardware stores for sprays or powder to spread on the floors and carpets. The vet may also have a recommendation for what to use for your home. And a topical anti flea medication for your cat. Good luck, and let us know how things are going.