Kitty Cold In Multi-cat Household

hemlock91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a cat recently (Diego). Today he has been sneezing very lightly every once in a while. He is still eating, drinking, and is still very active.

I have 4 cats altogether. My question is... should I take Diego into the vet or just wait it out? He doesn't seem to be uncomfortable. No other cold symptoms other than sneezing.

I have had multiple cats for a while, but this is the first time one of them has had a cold.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Take him to the vet. Many times, these will NOT clear up on their own, and can often be spread to the other cats. The vet can prescribe for him, and tell you if the others will need treatment, as well. Let me know how things are going!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may just have an allergy, but you want a vet visit to have them go through the motions and see if there is anything that you need to treat. It doesn't sound like the dreadful kitty cold. Tom blew up with that the week after he moved in, but fortunately during his treatment he didn't pass it on to Princess Yue Pants. His eyes were swollen over, and his nose was bubbling green snot, his respiratory rate was up, violent sneezing fits. We had a free visit to the vet in his adoption file so I don't even have a clue what it runs. It was probably a shot of Convenia they gave him because they didn't give me any oral medication. I'm just glad he took so ill in my custody because the county would have euthanized him if he had still been with them.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it is a viral disease, it is probably one of two most common viruses: feline herpes virus or feline calcivirus. You can try giving him l-lysine supplements that you can get from any pharmacy or vitamin store. For a kitten I give 100-250 mg twice a day. That will only help if it is feline herpes virus. I have seen lysine completely clear it up. There is nothing you can give to help fight calcivirus. If it doesn't clear up in the next few days, he's going to need antibiotics to help prevent it from getting worse.

It could also be an allergy as lalagimp lalagimp mentioned. Try a limited ingredient food with different ingredients. Make sure there are no air fresheners running.