Kitty Brought Poop To The Next Room..

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,
My very nice, well behaved 14 month old male kitty brought poop to the next room..

A little background: we had just gotten home after work and he was very happy to see us. I cleaned his litter box. We clean his box everyday. Usually he jumps in the box as soon as I clean it - I think he likes to do it in a clean box. Anyways 20 minutes in he got very vocal and started running around the house calling me. I thought he was just too hyper and wanted to play! Next thing I know he's calling me to the next room where he has brought a piece of poop..with litter on it. I called him a bad kitty (prrrff) and cleaned it up. He kept grooming himself profusely. I checked his litter box again and there was poop there too.. so he pooped in the box and then he went too the other room to finish?...

Why would he poop or bring poop in the next room? It had litter on it! So I assume he did it in the box and picked it up and brought it? So it can't be an accident..or could it be? I'm just so confused.

There hasn't been any change in our home recently and he's on a high protein dry food diet. I also took him to the vet just 3 weeks ago and the vet said he's very healthy. Please help...

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think what happened is that a bit of poop got stuck to his behind/tail. Then he ran around frantically, and it came flying off. Then he groomed himself to make sure it was completely off. Completely normal and healthy behavior. :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it had a hair or something in it so it didn't drop in the litter box as planned? I think he was calling for help. He didn't do it to be bad. When litter box accidents happen, it is never done to get back at the humans. Punishing him or scolding him will only stress the poor guy out more.... and may cause more litter box accidents.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We have always had longhaired cats and this happens all the time. If your cat has longhair and this behavior is bothersome you can have a groomer do what is called a sanitary shave. If your cat is not longhaired please ignore. Otherwise, Ardina Ardina and danteshuman danteshuman are perfectly right.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As mentioned, it is pretty common for a cat to have a little piece stuck to their behind, then they bolt out of the box and run around and it falls off.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he on an all dry food diet? My cat does this when she's constipated. Try adding some canned food to his diet every day. He didn't do it on purpose. The poop was probably too hard to get out and a piece got stuck and then fell off in the other room. You could also try some hairball treats every few days.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I once observed my cat going poo, but some kept dangling behind him, dragging in the litterbox, seemingly not attached to him at all. Turns out he must have swallowed a piece of my hair (very long), because one end of the hair was caught in the poo he had just produced, but the other end of the hair was still inside of him! He hopped out and was dragging the piece of poo behind him for a few meters before I caught him and carefully broke the hair... Whoops.:eek: He didn't mean to drag it around. Maybe something similar happened with your cat?

My boys have also just had normal 'hang-ons' and accidentally brought them to another room. It happens sometimes, even with short-hair cats.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think "how" the poop made it to the other room has been covered. [pun intended] :D

However, one other thing I picked up on in your post, was that your kitten likes to use the litter box as soon as you clean it. That's not uncommon, but it did make me wonder if it's possible to have a 2nd litter box in your home that he can use if he wishes. He still might favour one over the other, but I have read of cats that like to pee in one box and poop in another.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I have a cat like that-Honeybee...she has to have 2 boxes..one for each the weirdo. And remember never pull on anything attached to the anus-use a pair of scissors to cut free far away from the skin. Pulling on hair that's stuck in bum could cause more problems.

Add a teaspoon of canned pumpkin to their diet every day or every other day to help defecate better. It will soften it to allow not to cling on to fur. And the butt trim helps-remember use blunt tip scissors-never sharp pointy tip scissors-their skin is easy to nick and that is not easy to deal with. Have the vet tech do a sanitary clip on their lower belly all the way to back of tail to avoid clingons..

My Honeybee has snow pants and we also trim her legs at the insides/backside too-I use a pair of blunt nose scissors and have her on her perch and trim carefully-she hates her fur trimmed so I can only do one side of leg at a time-right now she's got a left side clipped and right side long haired-next chance I get I will do the right side-I also clip the first 3 or 4 inches of back of tail as well as she has a habit of sitting her butt all the way in the cat litter...long hair kitties need a bit more grooming but it cuts down on "stuff" ending up where it doesn't belong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys..

He's a short haired. I feel super guilty for semi yelling at him. He's my first.. I don't know much about kitties.. I thought he was being mischievous and it wasn't an accident. I'm sorry..

I got a new problem though.. he won't eat his favorite treats anymore. At all! Since the poop incident yesterday..He had treats right before the poop incident. Does it mean he's mad at me? He's been very vocal all day and usually he's very cuddly.. but not since yesterday. Plus the rejection of treats.. I'm alarmed. I have apologized to him a thousand times..given him space and had plenty of play time today..

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of treats did he eat and how many? Maybe try some hairball treats every other day. It sounds like he might be constipated. Hairball treats can help with constipation. Also, try some canned food. I don't think he's mad at you. He probably just doesn't feel good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He absolutely refuses to eat wet food :( I don't think he has ever had a bite even. He just licks the juice or gravy IF I'm lucky.. I have tried for months...

It's a buffalo blue and purina dentalife. He used to LOVE then till 30 hours ago...

He pooped today and I have seen him drink water.. should I be worried...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was his poop all in the litterbox today, none on the floor? Are his pee clumps big enough? If so, I wouldn't worry too much. Since you already buy Purina brand treats, maybe try some of their canned foods. That's the only brand my cats will eat. Friskies, Fancy Feast, Purina One, and Purina Pro Plan are all made by Purina.