Kittens Pooping Everywhere

katyfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i got two kittens about two weeks ago. we set a seperate litterbox upstairs because they were too scared to use the other one in the basement. then we removed it and they used the original one fine. but now they poop everywhere. they poop in my room, my brother’s room, bathrooms and on the floor. i set up the other litterbox again, but i put it in the basement too, hoping they’d use that one. they do, but still poop everywhere else!!! i tried spraying vinegar water and cat repellent. i clean it very very throughly whenever they go anywhere wrong. i’m at the end of my rope. i’m starting to regret getting them. they wake me up and stress out my other cat. they poop everywhere. what can i do to fix this? please help. also, please note i’m a 14 year old and i can’t control everything because my parents have the most say.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They need to be confined to a small space with their litterbox and everything until they get a little older. Babies don't know where to go when they have a big house with multiple stories they have to search for it. It could also be that they just can't make it in time. Or both.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katyfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They need to be confined to a small space with their litterbox and everything until they get a little older. Babies don't know where to go when they have a big house with multiple stories they have to search for it. It could also be that they just can't make it in time. Or both.
ok thank you. they arent super young, and theh roam all around by themselves. for the time being we put their old box back. tysm for your help

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention to continue to clean the spots they already went at. They will keep going back if they can still smell it. An enzymatic cleaner usually does the trick.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you wrote in about this. I hope the kittens learn now. You got very good advice. Please keep writing so we know how everything turns out. :kneading:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katyfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you wrote in about this. I hope the kittens learn now. You got very good advice. Please keep writing so we know how everything turns out. :kneading:
thanks! its been a few weeks and the problem is mostly fixed - we put their old litter box back and now they consistently use both and only go on the floor if the box is too dirty. :)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news! I am glad you updated about them. It’s always good for everyone to see that a kitty problem can be solved. I have found that if I put 2 boxes per kitty family and clean them daily, no one slips up. That’s huge for me since I do kitty rescues and have a lot of kitties at any one time. No one wants to get their paws dirty. Lol I bet they are real cuties.