kittens playing/eating pine litter?

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two kittens nearly four months old, and I recently switched to pine pellets in a sifting litter box for them. They've always played with their litter (they were on paper pellets before to avoid any issues with clumping litter) and they liked to scoop it out and play with the pellets, sometimes eating pieces. Overall paper was expensive and I didn't like the thought of them eating the old newspaper, so I tried clumping litter hoping that because it wasn't pelleted they would stop chewing on it but I had the same problem- they kept trying to eat it! Plus it tracked all over the place when they dug and flicked their feet, and it stuck to their noses which they also tried to eat. So now I'm on pine pellets (mostly for cost reasons, these kittens pee like a frickin fire hose), and I'm having the same issue, kittens keep playing with the pellets and chewing on pieces, possibly eating some of it. I watch them like a hawk so I usually can get it away from them, but not every time, especially while I'm sleeping. My biggest concern is the toxicity, does anyone know if this is something I can curb/should be worried about? I've tried redirection with toys and food but honestly, I know this is mostly an age thing because they're chewing on EVERYTHING right now. Kittens are acting fine but obviously, it's best for them not to eat the pellets and I do worry about them getting sick over time if they don't stop. Anyone have experience with this?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It is very bad for them to eat the pine pellets, or any litter. What do you feed them? Sometimes eating litter can be a sign of anemia. Do they have fleas? Even kittens with anemia will still play and act fine. The paper litter would be safer. Can you get a paper shredder and shred your own litter? I wouldn’t use newspaper though, the ink isn’t good for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. It is very bad for them to eat the pine pellets, or any litter. What do you feed them? Sometimes eating litter can be a sign of anemia. Do they have fleas? Even kittens with anemia will still play and act fine. The paper litter would be safer. Can you get a paper shredder and shred your own litter? I wouldn’t use newspaper though, the ink isn’t good for them.
I don't believe they have fleas, I haven't seen any and they get monthly flea/tick. They free graze dry all the time and wet 4 times a day.
I still have paper left, so I guess I will just switch back to that. I was using sophresh paper pellets, are those safe? They never had any health problems if they did eat any of it. I just switched to pine because it's so expensive to use the paper pellets, I had to dump the whole box 2-3 times a week because they pee so much. What age do you think they would be able to switch/will they stop trying to eat the pellets?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have two kittens nearly four months old, and I recently switched to pine pellets in a sifting litter box for them. They've always played with their litter (they were on paper pellets before to avoid any issues with clumping litter) and they liked to scoop it out and play with the pellets, sometimes eating pieces. Overall paper was expensive and I didn't like the thought of them eating the old newspaper, so I tried clumping litter hoping that because it wasn't pelleted they would stop chewing on it but I had the same problem- they kept trying to eat it! Plus it tracked all over the place when they dug and flicked their feet, and it stuck to their noses which they also tried to eat. So now I'm on pine pellets (mostly for cost reasons, these kittens pee like a frickin fire hose), and I'm having the same issue, kittens keep playing with the pellets and chewing on pieces, possibly eating some of it. I watch them like a hawk so I usually can get it away from them, but not every time, especially while I'm sleeping. My biggest concern is the toxicity, does anyone know if this is something I can curb/should be worried about? I've tried redirection with toys and food but honestly, I know this is mostly an age thing because they're chewing on EVERYTHING right now. Kittens are acting fine but obviously, it's best for them not to eat the pellets and I do worry about them getting sick over time if they don't stop. Anyone have experience with this?
Kittens are playful and curious. Anything that can roll interest them. Anything new also interest them. I think this is just temporary. My boy used to eat clay litter when he was a kitten but only for a brief period and he stopped doing that.

It could be a sign of Anemia, just as what S silent meowlook mentioned. Check the kittens gums and see if they are pale, bluish or white and if they are, Anemia is a sign of deficiency in iron, vitamins, trace minerals and fatty acids and also other underlying illness.

You may choose good wet food that are high in nutrients and vitamins to supplement their diet.

Kittens pees a lot and a few times a day as their bladder is not strong and well developed yet till they are an adult, which they hold their pee in for a longer time.

The kittens may be bored too. Have some treats or toys ready to distract them and have more playtime with them. You may try using a food puzzle ball to make them hunt and forage as this will take their minds off from eating litter. Often times when there's a change of litter, some cats will just go taste the new litter but most will soon grow out of that behavior.

Last edited:

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens are playful and curious. Anything that can roll interest them. Anything new also interest them. I think this is just temporary. My boy used to eat clay litter when he was a kitten but only for a brief period and he stopped doing that.

It could be a sign of Anemia, just as what S silent meowlook mentioned. Check the kittens gums and see if they are pale, bluish or white and if they are, Anemia is a sign of deficiency in iron, vitamins, trace minerals and fatty acids and also other underlying illness.

You may choose good wet food that are high in nutrients and vitamins to supplement their diet.

Kittens pees a lot and a few times a day as their bladder is not strong and well developed yet till they are an adult, which they hold their pee in for a longer time.

The kittens may be bored too. Have some treats or toys ready to distract them and have more playtime with them. You may try using a food puzzle ball to make them hunt and forage as this will take their minds off from eating litter. Often times when there's a change of litter, some cats will just go taste the new litter but most will soon grow out of that behavior.
Yes, they are definitely very interested in anything that rolls... or anything that moves/can be pushed! I'm glad it's just temporary. I did check their gums and they seem normal, they also had a vet appointment yesterday and they did not mention it as a concern. They did tell me to get off the pine pellets until they grow out of playing with the litter, so I'm back to the paper pellets for now. Do you know around what age they grow out of something like that?
I feed them wellness kitten complete health (they refuse to eat the chicken now, only the whitefish and tuna🤦‍♀️) and they free graze on hills kitten because that's what I got from the shelter. Wellness was reccommended ot me by a friend, is it something healthy for them? I can always transition to a better food if necessary.
They might be bored, I play with them during breaks I get at work, and they have a few toys they constantly run around with in their mouths- plus they have each other. I can try to get more play in though! I recently bought a cat tree with scratchers and parts that dangle so I hope that might help.

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe two-three months?
There might be something helpful here,
Kittenlady.org/litter
Like when reach 2-3 months? Because they are already 4 months now, they started playing with it maybe a month ago with no signs of letting up :/ I will check out the website though, thank you!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Do you know around what age they grow out of something like that?
I feed them wellness kitten complete health (they refuse to eat the chicken now, only the whitefish and tuna🤦‍♀️) and they free graze on hills kitten because that's what I got from the shelter. Wellness was reccommended ot me by a friend, is it something healthy for them? I can always transition to a better food if necessary.
They should grow out of it in a while's time as they'll soon get bored with it. Playing and pushing the litter around is ok except if they eat it.

I think if you can feed them poultry which is better than fish or seafood as they are ground animals. Just a side track here, a recent thread on fish based diet :- Shark Meat in Catfood in Singapore

Check if the can first ingredient is the real meat. If your cats are not fussy, try them on different meat base food and see what they prefer best. You can also try not to let them free graze and get them on times feedings or feeding them according to when their tummy calls if you have the time to do that. Dry food is not a healthy choice. Dry food is full of carbohydrates and wet food is full of proteins and minerals and wet food keeps your cats hydrated.