Kittens Dying

776snow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently just adopted a 2 month old kitten and she had died after about a week of having her. Is there any cause for this? this also happened with a kitten who was about 6-8 months old and both of these kittens died what seems like peacefully in their sleep. The 6-8 month old kitten was a while ago but the only similarity i can see with the two kittens is that they both seemed to have died peacefully and they both have stayed mainly in my bedroom. Is there a certain cause for this? The 6-8 month old kitten seemed very healthy (we hadn’t had enough time with them to take them to the vet) but the 2 month old kitten was very thin and had a bunch of fleas but it seems to me they died in the same type of way? we had a vet appointment planned for the kitten a week after it died so we had no way of telling how healthy the kitten was (also found suspected flea poop but no actual fleas until seeing the body after she had died).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

776snow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*the 2 month old kitten also had what i think was a tick attached to her lip(?) if that helps any

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
first off, don't wait to take a new cat or kitten to the vet - get them to the vet immediately. also before you get another kitten, find out what in your room or home might be toxic to cats. for example, lillies are toxic to cats - there are lists online or you can ask your local vet's office. are you sure the bowl the kitties' water was in was clean of any kind of soap or other stuff?

btw, if you adopt a thin kitten, feed him or her like crazy, but kittens are lactose intolerant, so make sure you give them kitten formula, not regular milk. kittens are still growing - they need all the food they can get, so don't restrict the amount they can eat. and fleas can cause anemia.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They may have had distemper, a horrible disease taht takes a while to kill, they usually just stop eating and drinking and become listless.I would be very upset over something like this, if you try again take the next kitten to the vet right away, and have blood tests run.
Many kittens, just don't thrive and don't make it, but most do. There are just too many things it could be, genetic or otherwise. Make sure to check for toxins, no plants in the same room, toilet lid down, no bug sprays, etc.
My heart goes out to you, I pray you find a healthy kitten soon!