Kittens doing my head in after spaying/neutering

profdanglais

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hester and Hugo were spayed and neutered, respectively, this morning. They are home now, everything was normal and routine, but they have gone a bit bonkers after spending the morning either under anaesthesia or in their carrier. Hugo keeps trying to lick Hester's incision, they are climbing all over the furniture (this is something they do daily, but they seem to be doing it extra energetically) and Hugo wants to eat ALL THE THINGS, after having fasted overnight. Please tell me they'll calm down soon, and also if anyone has any suggestions for tricks to keep them calm so Hester doesn't pull out her stitches or get infected. We can't really put them in different rooms because our flat is pretty small and they get terribly upset if they're separated for too long. Thanks!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They'll be fine. Once they tire themselves out. Never had a cat pull out its stitches so can't help you there. Can you buy Feliway in England? It helps a lot if you can get it.

momcat2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a female cat 12 years aho who was a bit batty anways. The day we picked her up and let her out she went right back to her crazy self. Scared me thtlat she would get hurt. She got a few of her stictches out so i had to tale her back same day for some pain meds abd they out in a stapple. By the time we got home she got that out. Had to go right back in . They glued it shut and gave her some antibiotics. She was absolutely crazy from the start tho lol. My male cat got fixed 1.6 years ago and he never really messed with his incision and is now suoer mellow and loving. Hope your boys feel better soon.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I remember when we got Mojo Spayed the vet said she'll be groggy and not hungry. Just put this cone on her and let her sleep...

yeah right. she came home cried and wrestled her cone off, ate two days worth of food and basically climbed the walls. She was my first cat, I literally cried I thought she was going to open her wound up but she was just fine.

If the licking gets too much you might have to separate them but otherwise they will be fine :)

If you can't put them in different rooms you can try putting them in their crates next to eachother so they can still see and smell for comfort.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

profdanglais

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm very glad to hear you say that, @Kissthisangel. The vet said to give them a small amount of plain food, but they are both ravenous. I've fed them twice since they got home and they licked their plates both times. Hester ate food she normally won't touch. 

They've finally gone to sleep, but poor Hester was stung by a bee about an hour ago. We got the stinger out right away and she's not showing any signs of anaphylactic shock, thank goodness, but her paw has swollen a bit. Poor baby girl, she's had a rough day. 

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad they have gone to sleep.

Sad that she got stung by a bee but at least you know now she's not allergic to them.