Kitten's behavior when eating

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started fostering 3 kittens recently and they're around 8 weeks. They're all sweet but one of them will growl during meal time as he eats and will scratch if I try to pet him or give him more food. Other times he is very sweet. Is it normal? how to fix this issue? they will be adopted in a few weeks and I don't want him to scare his potential new family. Thank you for your replies!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one that's been food aggressive since he came to live with me. He's bitten me in the thumb and scratched my hands. I still have to be careful hand-feeding him, but he's the most loving, cuddly little guy I could ask for. He's much better now, but I've had him for about 4 1/2 years.

I think with proper training and care, a food aggressive cat can be made more calm at feeding time, but one should always be on their guard with such a cat. I don't think a potential adopter should have a real problem with that, with the possible exception of a family with little children.

The best thing I can think of is don't fiddle with him when he's eating and never tease him with food. If his treatment is consistent, I think he'll gradually become much calmer at dinner time.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very normal in kittens, especially if they are really hungry and it is something they outgrow as they get older. Sometimes they may also shake as well. Kittens should have kibble available to them round the clock and wet food at least a couple times a day so that they don’t get famished.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is very normal in kittens, especially if they are really hungry and it is something they outgrow as they get older. Sometimes they may also shake as well. Kittens should have kibble available to them round the clock and wet food at least a couple times a day so that they don’t get famished.
I have one that's been food aggressive since he came to live with me. He's bitten me in the thumb and scratched my hands. I still have to be careful hand-feeding him, but he's the most loving, cuddly little guy I could ask for. He's much better now, but I've had him for about 4 1/2 years.

I think with proper training and care, a food aggressive cat can be made more calm at feeding time, but one should always be on their guard with such a cat. I don't think a potential adopter should have a real problem with that, with the possible exception of a family with little children.

The best thing I can think of is don't fiddle with him when he's eating and never tease him with food. If his treatment is consistent, I think he'll gradually become much calmer a dinner time.
Thanks! that's reassuring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes, they do have wet food 3 to 4 times/day. They also have kibbles in a plate all day but so far, no interest in them.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
They're all sweet but one of them will growl during meal time as he eats and will scratch if I try to pet him or give him more food.
I agree with the above posters.

It is normal for kittens to do that if they are hungry or have not enough food to eat before. One example is my boy. He is a rescue at 3 weeks old and was scarwny when he first came home. When I fed him, he was growling while eating. I guess he has not much to eat while he was outside and probably has to scavenge for food and fighting other cats away so as to not let them take his food. By growling while eating is one way to defend his food.

What you can do is keep assuring him and telling him that all the food is his and no one is taking it away from him. Also try to scoop spoonful onto his plate so that he knows you are feeding him instead of food just appears on the plate. By doing this, he'll associate you with food and you are there to give him food and not take food away from him.

Petting him while he's eating is a little tricky. Most cats don't like that but overtime with constant assurance, they'll get use to it. If you want to pet him while he's eating, best is not pet him on the head. Pet him behind his shoulder and down his back gently and whisper to him and say good boy. Just don't keep doing it while he's eating. Just on and off will do. At 8 weeks old, it's important to instill the right teaching to them and they'll get use to the idea rather than teach them when they are older.

Wet food is good as they keep them fuller and hydrated. Best is to feed then wet food meant for kittens as they need all the proteins and minerals to aid their growth.

Last edited: